Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ibanez bass suggestion

nitro bass

Hi everybody.It is my first post here.I am not very familiar with Ibanez bass guitars and i need advice.I read other day that they are few among those how offer good quality for decent price and i am going to try some model but here is the problem - Which models are called "medium class" (mean not entry level)and appropriate for rock and blues music?

Thank you

P.S. If you have any ideas for different brands i am open to it - my budget is about 700$

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ibanez Soundgear series has a nice feel and a great sound.

For other brands, the G&L L-2000 Tribute is an absolutely great all-around workhorse. Mine sounded great from the first note, and it is versatile enough to play any style of music. It has an active/passive pickup arrangement, fairly lightweight, and a really nice neck. If I'd bought this one first, I probably wouldn't own any others. It cost less than &600 two years ago, I don't think the price has increased since then.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

On a $700 budget, there are quite a few choices out there. A good bass for rock and blues is a standard Fender Precision or Jazz bass. As simple as they are, they are versatile enough to do both well.

The Squier vintage modified line is another good choice. A lot of experienced players use them and have respect for them.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Here's one you don't see too often, and it's awesome. It's a SG500 with a boutique finish and bartolini pu's. http://forum.ibanez.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=80289

Cost -- just over $500 with a GC discount.

Trust me, this bass sounds as good as the Prestige series at half the price. It plays great (though it has that thin Ibby neck, like it or hate it), 3 way tone control, on/off active pre amp, rear/front pu blend, and it's hot as hell!

After owning dozens of basses, I've narrowed it down to the 9 best . This is one of them.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

You really need to go out and play as many basses in your price range as you can find. For that money there is a lot of gear available to you.

Having said that, I recently bought a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Precision and my god, do I love this bass. Took it to rehearsal with the blues band and it -almost- blew away my Fender Jazz (MIA) with regards to tone and sound. I say almost because there is just too much difference tonally between them, and I bought both with a particular sound in mind. But if I had just the Squier for the blues band, it would definitely sit very well in the overall mix.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

What he said. Your budget opens up many manufacturers and many types of basses.

There are players that make any bass work for them playing rock and blues. For example, the Hofner that McCartney plays has a certain tone, but he rocks it.

When testing out basses, play a few P basses, a few J basses, and some with big "soapbar" pickups. Figure out which are "active" - meaning they have a preamp built in - and which are passive. That will give you some context for picking the tone you want, though basses are never limited to a single tone.

It will also help you see what type of neck "profile" you like. Pay attention to how wide the fretboard is, and how "deep" or "thick" the neck is, and figure out what's right for you.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

$700 gives you plenty of options.

Lots of good suggestions above. Ibanez ATK might work nicely for rock and blues. I got one used for $200. However, it's got a fat neck and is a heavy bass, so that may or may not work for you.

I will continue to extol the virtues of the 1980s Ibanez Roadstar series bases, many come in jazz or precision configurations, some with active preamps and some with passive. They show up regularly on the used market and can be had usually for < $400.

G&L Tribute is a nice suggestion. Maybe Lakland Skyline series basses, too. Fender/Squier jazz and precision basses certainly fit the bill, too.

I feel like someone here has enjoyed his Schechter, and I think they have models in your price range which would be good for rock or blues.

Also, the Yamaha BB series would likely fit the bill.

Do you care about number of strings? 4? 5? 6?

Good luck,

--W

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

You really need to go out and play as many basses in your price range as you can find.

You know? I don't really believe that. Strings and setup is such an important part of an instrument, and strings and setup in the stores are for the most part utter trash. I never really know till it's been mine for a month or two. I say: just figure out what P/U config you want, and buy a decent bass with decent electronics. Play one (or more if the same type to pick out a better constructed model) and buy it. Return it if it sucks. My preference is to stay away from the pencil-skinny neck ones. They feel good in my hands, but need constant truss rod attention.

How about a used Bass Collection. It's an Ibanez re-badged, made in Korea, easy on the wallet; and everyone will ask you what in hell it is. Lotsa fun.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived