Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Workstation vs synth (for New Age/ Ambient) ?

Kaye7

Dear guys,

I'm looking for a keyboard that can produce the sounds like Enigma, Deep Forest. Especially flute and dreamy pads but Not like Yanni's symphonic stuffs. I'm thinking to buy Motif xs6 (or) virus ti2. But don't know which one should I get. And I have Korg soft synth M1 and I really like it.

There's no music store sell that kindda synth at my place and so I can't test them. As far as I know virus is good for pads and synth sounds but not for flute and ethnic instruments like workstations. Actually I wanna buy both but my budget is just around 2000$. So please advice me if you have time :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say that if you want to mix realistic acoustic sounds with nice "enigma-type" pads and synth strings, any motif would fit the bill - you'll probably find some enigma-type drumloops in there as well -. Korg got nice pads and synth sounds for that kind of music, M3 or M50 are nice, but IMO the acoustic sounds are far from those on motif xs/xf.

If you're going after those overproduced, sunk-on-reverb type of sounds (no offense, I love that kind of sounds), I think you would be better with a workstation than with VA...

Any budget restriction? Are you using the board live, at home?

If you need these sounds for studio or home, another option could be going to software (zillions of great sounds in millions of libraries) and you can have a good DAW and a good library for less the price of a XF or M3...

If you're planning to use the board live and on a budget, MOX from Yamaha, M50 or even Microstation from Korg and Roland's Juno can cover your basics (in fact, that Enigma sounds have always reminded me of Roland, I don't know why):)

hope this helps :)

Dear guys,

I'm looking for a keyboard that can produce the sounds like Enigma, Deep Forest. Especially flute and dreamy pads

I always loved the Sweet flute sound from Yamaha with the overblown effect, BTW

:)

I missed your budget on my first reply, sorry, for 2000 bucks you can have MOX and Microstation (to have that Korg sounds you liked on the M1), or M50 and MM6, or a used motif and whatever.... Lot of possible combinations there!

Having both Motif XS and Virus for 2000 sound like a good deal to me, if you find those at a good price... You'll have mostly everything covered from one or another

Nothing can touch Omnisphere and Absynth for those kinds of sounds IMHO. I prefer real keyboards to soft synths, so if there was a particular pad or sound I wanted I would create it in Omnisphere and sample it into my M3.

"Just a tad more attack on the filter, Grandad!"

Korg got nice pads and synth sounds for that kind of music, M3 or M50 are nice

+1

Regarding your budget, I highly recommend the Korg M3 for what you are looking for. In addition to its warm pads & unique motion sounds, it offers KARMA which is perfect for New Age/Ambient stuff... giving you endless textures and morphing rhythms.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'd suggest some kind of Roland workstation with one of their Ethnic cards installed, which in this case would make all the difference.

I have the "World" card from the JV series and I love it: *plenty* of different ethnic flutes, percussions, strings, etc. - but those cards can only be installed on JV- and XP- era instruments, with the exception of the XV5080 module.

I know there's a more recent card which includes most sounds from the World JV card, plus those from another couple of previous Ethnic cards. You might want to investigate a bit in that direction.

There's no music store sell that kindda synth at my place and so I can't test them.

I know that many people don't like to drive more than an hour to visit a pro music store, but it's definitely worth it. You'll get a chance to try out several keyboards and select one that is perfect for you; much better than just reading our advice... as wonderful as it is of course.

:D

much better than just reading our advice... as wonderful as it is of course.

+1 :thu:

------------------------

For sure you should always try to check the instruments yourself, there's nothing like one's ear to decide what fits better with our own goals :)

Also the KARMA function on M3 could be useful for the kind of music you're interested in (although sometimes it's the kind of technology that REALLY gets on your way).

If you can also find a 2nd hand radias synth to dock to your M3...well, then I'll be really interested on having it myself if you don't like it after a couple of months :D

Also the KARMA function on M3 could be useful for the kind of music you're interested in (although sometimes it's the kind of technology that REALLY gets on your way).

KARMA isn't a feature you'll conquer in a couple of weeks. It takes a long time to comprehend its intricacies, but that's time well spent.

Most M3 users approach KARMA with a strict set of boundaries--trying to create an exact rhythm or texture. I've discovered it's better to run through the programs and combination sounds first and listen to what KARMA can do for you... then select something close to what you are looking for and work from there.

If you can also find a 2nd hand radias synth to dock to your M3...

+1

The M3 + Radias is a perfect marriage for producing New Age/Ambient music.

:thu:

Visit your local music store for a whole day and let your ears guide you. Also try out the board's user interface. It's easy for anyone on a forum to suggest a certain synth(s) :idk , but it's your money and future investment. BTW more features = more $$$. IMO I love my Motif for it's new age/ambient abilities, and ease of use. However, The M-3 or Fantoms are excellent workstations in their own right :thu:. Good luck with your purchase :).

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

Visit your local music store for a whole day and let your ears guide you. Also try out the board's user interface. It's easy for anyone on a forum to suggest a certain synth(s) :idk , but it's your money and future investment.

Precisely. You've received several recommendations from the forum but it's up to you to make the big decision. There's nothing worse than buying something this expensive online... only to be disappointed a few weeks later.

A personal preference example: I have both the Motif XS and Korg M3 and find the M3 offers more textural pads and motion sounds (plus KARMA) than the Motif, and it's much easier to use. The M3's touch screen makes navigation and programming a breeze.

:cool:

Another plus for the M3 is that it can be expanded with the virtual analog Radias engine. The filters in the Motif and even some Rolands do sound really nice, but sample playback will only get you so far, when emulating analog sounds.

IMHO - if you're really serious about this type of music you will definitely sooner or later be needing a VA, or even better - some true analog beast.

Another option is getting a workstation type keyboard and add an Ipad to the rig. Then you'll have virtually no limitations on what sounds you can produce. There's tons of cheap VA-apps, and also the Fairlight app for iPad/iPhone which will give you some nice 80's sampled sounds. :)

On a side note - the original flute sample, used by Enigma can be found on the Internet, free to download - and that can be loaded into any sampling keyboard that excepts wav-files. I have it loaded into my Nords - just for fun! :) I do not have the adress - it was years ago I downloaded it, but Google will probably tell you where to find it.

Nord Stage 3 sw73, Yamaha CP88, KeyB Legend Live, Kurzweil PC3K7, EV ZXa1 + sub. K&M stands, Hammond E112, Leslie 3300, EHX V256, Roland SE-02, Yamaha EX5R & TG77, Novation Nova desktop & much more...

On a side note - the original flute sample, used by Enigma can be found on the Internet, free to download

Yes, it's currently available from:

www.korgforums.com

I believe the file is located in the Triton section of DOWNLOADS pages. I forget what format, but it should load into the M3 and Kronos as well.

Hey - nice link! :) In the Triton Extreme section there's a whole Enigma library! :)
Nord Stage 3 sw73, Yamaha CP88, KeyB Legend Live, Kurzweil PC3K7, EV ZXa1 + sub. K&M stands, Hammond E112, Leslie 3300, EHX V256, Roland SE-02, Yamaha EX5R & TG77, Novation Nova desktop & much more...

Nord Wave isn't a bad suggestion, but it's only has two multi-timbral parts and you cannot split the keyboard. Let's hope the team at Nord soon release a new Nord Wave/Lead that brings back the 4-part multi-timbrality and the ability to split/zone the keyboard.

Hey - nice link! :) In the Triton Extreme section there's a whole Enigma library! :)

Just so you know, there are several files in that download section with the "Enigma" name. One is a set of 64 programs I created that has this description:

Enigma currently consists of 64 Program sounds that where designed to emulate some of the classic synths of all time. With emulations from the likes of Mellotron, Fairlight, DX-7, D-50, and even a selection of unheard sounds, Enigma offers a wide range of sounds that where all created by Synthoid.

Those sounds have nothing to do with the band Enigma.

This crazyness from the manufacturers of giving cool names to stuff! Wouldn't it be nice if any of the big ones just call their next keyboard "The Cool Board" or "Our finest synth so far" (korg would say OFSSF :) ), and stop calling the sounds "voices", "live sets", "combis" and so and just call them "the darn sounds"??

What's going on specifically with Korg? "trinity", "prophecy", "karma", "kronos"...? Why in the h*ll would you like to name your product after an ancient greek god, known for eating his own children alive?? :facepalm:

What's with ancient gods, anyway? also Roland got Juno, Jupiter, Gaia...

They still got a bunch of god's names to choose from: I wonder when we're going to see Roland "Mars" or "Saturn", and Korg "Zeus" :)

That's why I admire those fellows at kurzweil, they're still on the letters-and-numbers thing!!!

I think a lot of things now are picking names that are unique and memorable. All of the "normal" names are taken, and ideally, you want a name that has some punch. You go for "Amazon" over "The World's Greatest Online Bookstore dot com," "Skype" over "We Let You Make Phone Calls Online dot com," etc. If you're lucky, somehow the good name sticks and almost makes sense immediately.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Enigma currently consists of 64 Program sounds that where designed to emulate some of the classic synths of all time. With emulations from the likes of Mellotron, Fairlight, DX-7, D-50, and even a selection of unheard sounds, Enigma offers a wide range of sounds that where all created by Synthoid.

Those sounds have nothing to do with the band Enigma.

Sorry, my bad!

If you're lucky, somehow the good name sticks and almost makes sense immediately.

Sticks, definitely. Makes sense...? Not really.

You remember them all, and you're talking about them in a completely unrelated forum... from a marketing point of view, I'd say that makes perfect sense. :thu:

They still got a bunch of god's names to choose from: I wonder when we're going to see Roland "Mars" or "Saturn", and Korg "Zeus" :)

Roland ProMars - 1979, so only Saturn and Zeus aren't taken..! :)

If you're lucky, somehow the good name sticks and almost makes sense immediately.

Sticks, definitely. Makes sense...? Not really.

You remember them all, and you're talking about them in a completely unrelated forum... from a marketing point of view, I'd say that makes perfect sense. :thu:

What I meant was, the names themselves may stick, but in terms of them being a logical or sensible description of a product or service... not so much.

Besides, non c'e futuro started it.

What I meant was, the names themselves may stick, but in terms of them being a logical or sensible description of a product or service... not so much.

Agreed, but it's a fact that giving a product a name that is a literal description of what it does is less effective... (i.e. Renault's Le Car ;) ).

Besides, non c'e futuro started it.

Yes, he is definitely the new king of the non sequitur here on the forum. :thu:

Archived