Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK3 / XK-3c question for effect loop

gaganuga

Hi

What would you suggest to use for the effect loop?

I use my XK3c with the Ventilator.

I use an external reverb with a mixer.That works fine!

But I'm wondering if is there a way to improve the sound or what kind of effect would be best to use with the effect loop?

Regards Claude

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to run my GEM RPX through the EFX loop and it sounded great. The tube distortion warmed up the EPs... Plus running the AP through the Leslie gave me that Pink Floyd "Echos" sound.
'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

Hi

What would you suggest to use for the effect loop?

I use my XK3c with the Ventilator.

I use an external reverb with a mixer.That works fine!

But I'm wondering if is there a way to improve the sound or what kind of effect would be best to use with the effect loop?

Regards Claude

It´s a matter of imagination and experimentation.

Usable additional FX for the FX loop in that signal pass could be a Wah-pedal, Ringmodulator and a Phase Shifter,- in that order.

You´d be able to mimik all the cool vintage Deep Purple and Pink Floyd sounds.

I´d also opt for a tape-delay simulation, but not in the FX loop because the delay then runs into the leslie sim.

Put it before your external reverb box.

A.C.

The GEM RPX was one of the best additions to my rig. It is small, easily set up, and sounded great! Made my XK3c system a complete keyboard setup. It had excellent Rhodes, Acoustic Piano, and Wurlitzer. It also had a lot of other great sounds that I never used.

I would only use the presets for my drawbars, so I just reprogrammed all the presets to blank drawbars and chose the sounds of the GEM by pressing the preset keys. Had 9 separate sounds instantly recallable from the preset keys. Also controlled the volume from the top right midi knob. Pretty slick.

I would just plug in the MIDI cable and the out put of my GEM into the effects in on the back of my XK3c. Fast and reliable.

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

The effect loop is after the preamp but before the Expression, EQ, built in reverb and digital Leslie (pg. 30). The signal at the effect loop is the hottest it is going to be, the only things that affect it at that point are the number of drawbars pulled out and their positions and the amount of overdrive. If you have expression set to control the amount of overdrive (pg. 78 #5) the signal may increase/decrease a little at that point if the overdrive knob is turned up high and the expression pedal is nearly floored or nearly fully raised. If the amount of reverb your unit creates is determined by the strength of the input signal, it may be better to put it in the effect loop since the signal won't be jumping up and down as you move the expression pedal.

Good Luck.

Also, you might try replacing the stock tubes with some old 50's/60's era tubes. Either some direct replacements ie: a 12AU7 and a 12AX7 or some other 12..7 variants. I've swapped a 12AV7 for the 12AU7 and a 12BZ7 for the 12AX7. I prefer grey box plates in general but there are several types of plates to choose from. Each type and manufacturer has its own characteristics. Some more subtle than others. There is quite a bit of information regarding tubes in the old XK-3 tips topic:

A link to the old XK-3© Tips topic.

I've had the pleasure of playing Claude's XK-3c - he saved my butt by letting me use it. I can never thank Claude enough for that!

JMcS's response is excellent. Another thing to ask yourself is do I want the effect in my Leslie sound or not? If you want to use a wah-wah effect, the effects loop would be a great place to put it. A compressor would probably be better placed either between the XK and the Ventilator, or after the Ventilator.

I know whatever you do it will sound great - you're a really great player

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

H-Dave... thanks for the idea on the presets. I have had my electric piano sounds (mainly Wurly) going into the effects loop for some time now, but am always fiddling with the settings. No MIDI module, the actual piano output. Don't know why I didn't think of using blank presets and just switching through them quick. Also, it makes it easy to kick the vent in (slow) with wurlitzer sometimes, to get the cabinet overdrive and an altogether different sound, as it is connected at the XK3 output. And, it's just one output to amplification.

Now if I could just learn to deal without the weighted piano keyboard...

Hi Kanker

that was an honour and I really enjoyed hearing and seeing you playing on my keys with such a nice musical feeling. Wow!

About the "effect loop" there seems to be many ways to use it..lol

I will try some of those nice suggestions.

As I have a compressor nearby I'll start experimenting with this at first.

The idea to change the "tubes" in XK-3c is maby the best way to improve the sound. I think tubes are acting too like a compressor in a sort of way.

I will like JMcS advice change the 12AY7 for the 12AX7 and 12AV7 for the 12AU7.

I'm not sure about which manufacturer but Silvanya Grey Plate tubes should works well as I read.

Kind regards all

Archived