Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RE: Buddy Guy Story in 8/11 Guitar Player and my '58 Strat

Caevan O’Shite

"RE: Buddy Guy Story in 8/11 Guitar Player and my '58 Strat"-thread posted by bobbydevito over on the Guitar Player Editors' Office Forum...

Interesting story; I can understand Mr. DeVito's sentiments...

Your thoughts?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the man was a MAN and was straightforward, he would have voiced his suspicion up front. I'm sure there might have been SOME way to investigate this. All he would have to do is reimburse you for getting it back in working order, 'cause you sounded as if you'd gladly return it to him if indeed it was stolen from him years ago. Then again, it may have been insured and he already got paid for it.

I've lost some respect for him as a human being now, but none as a player.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

To be fair, the interview-article may have had a bit of a 'spin' put to it; things people say often come off very differently from how they intended when read in print/fonts, even when quoted word-for-word. For example, think of how often many people cuss passingly here and there in casual, daily conversation- and how those same little swear-words seem HUGE and stick out like a sore-thumb when seen in print...

This was a first post from bobbydevito. He wasn't a member before, and I'm not enthused with this type of introduction. I have NEVER read negative info on Buddy before, and I'm not inclined to accept it without challenge now from someone who's never so much as dropped in to say hello. If Buddy deserved this kinda rap, I think we'd have heard something in the previous 6 decades of his career.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

To Bobby D;

Buddy DID get over on you, young guy, maybe for a good reason or at least for an understandable one, getting a beloved guitar that was stolen from him back. But yeah, he plied you with liquor and played on your admiration for him. He got your prize axe from you for a lot less than you would have agreed to if you hadn't been impaired by alcohol and in awe of him. You were conned, but good.

The giveaway is he didn't come out and start the deal as soon as you got on the bus. He played for time by talking shop with you, showing you tricks of the trade, etc., and waited for the booze to get in your head and loosen you up a bit, then he came on strong and haggled you down to his price. Shame on him, yes, for setting you up and taking you in, but shame on you for allowing it.

The moral of the story is; if you are in a similar situation again someday(that is, being in possession of a valuable item that a famous person who is one your heroes wants to get away from you), don't drink the Remy XO, Johnny Walker Blue Label/Lagavulin single malt/other expensive booze/dope/coffee/tea/Tibetan yak urine/etc. until AFTER the deal is made.

Buddy taught you a very expensive lesson. You can either get bitter about it, which has no effect on Buddy and is bad for you, or grin, learn from it, and not let it happen to you again, in which case you walk away better off in the long run. If you ever get next to Buddy again, shake his hand, tell him he owes you a bottle of Remy XO, not for getting over on you, but for running his mouth about it in a national magazine. I'll bet he buys you the bottle.

By the way, I'm an old guitar player with a few guitars I wouldn't mind trading for vintage pieces, and I can get a bottle or two of Remy. Wanna set up a meeting, ol' buddy ol' pal? :poke::D

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Well, to be fair again, he's responding to what he read concerning himself in the interview in GP; not so much that he sold or shouldn't have sold the guitar or did or didn't get ripped-off or any of that; he's unhappy about what was printed, which seems to put a different light on the entire affair. He stated several times that he felt that the guitar was worth more than he was getting, but that he wanted to do something nice for Buddy, and to "make him happy".

Again, statements (such as Buddy's, printed in GP) often come off rather different- sometimes more serious and even negative- than originally intended by the interviewee when read in print or fonts. This may well be the case with Buddy Guy's recounting of the tale as published by GP.

His post there on the Guitar Player Editors' Office was directed to the Editors of the magazine, not "us" here on this Forum (associated though it is); and I'd have to say that overall, his post there is pretty polite and actually somewhat positive in tone.

Doesn't add up for me. Buddy could certainly afford to pop for market value for a Strat he's mourned the loss of for 30 or 40 years. I read the article as well, and I don't buy the story. I can't see Buddy haggling for hours to get that axe back. In his financial position, I'd have paid top dollar just to get it back.

Doesn't add up for me. Buddy could certainly afford to pop for market value for a Strat he's mourned the loss of for 30 or 40 years. I read the article as well, and I don't buy the story. I can't see Buddy haggling for hours to get that axe back. In his financial position, I'd have paid top dollar just to get it back.

You're saying you don't buy the story described in the magazine-interview? Or the one posted on the GPEO? (Not bickering, just asking to be sure I understand.)

You're saying you don't buy the story described in the magazine-interview? Or the one posted on the GPEO? (Not bickering, just asking to be sure I understand.)

Not a fan of either, but this thread is taking on a short shelf life.....

It looks like the same guitar but the Fender Custom shop can probably do a look-alike down to the smallest details...wonder why Buddy would not have reported the stolen guitar and why there is no mention of serial numbers? I also have to question why would a guy take a $6,000 58 strat to a show and have it signed by Buddy or anyother great guitarist? I don't buy the story but if it was Buddy's strat and Buddy didn't mention it was stolen while attempting to buy it back...it just shows how cool Buddy is... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I dont know, none of us are directly involved, I certainly cant blame Buddy G for getting excited at seeing his old guitar, just imagine yrself in his shoes......

Sounds like Bobby was willing to give it up so to speak once he realized it was Buddy's old guitar!

I hope either the article was edited so it looked bad or that Buddy was simply caught up in the moment & embelished it a bit too much. Either way I understant why Bobby wudnt be happy about the way it was worded.

Like Fumbly said Bobby, keep that poka dot strat safe man, enjoy it some but dont risk it, the whole story of how you got returned the 58 & how you got the poka dot, in the future is one HELL OF A STORY MAN! THAT I think will add some value to that strat, who knows might exceed the 58 if you had just kept it & had never brought it that night.

Again hell of story, you are tied in tight with some blues history!!! And you can hang your head high doing so, awesome man!

I hope either the article was edited so it looked bad or that Buddy was simply caught up in the moment & embelished it a bit too much. Either way I understant why Bobby wudnt be happy about the way it was worded.

Yhup, on all counts.

Again hell of story, you are tied in tight with some blues history!!! And you can hang your head high doing so, awesome man!

'Xactly.

Archived