Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best guitar solo in a pop song?

mooncaine

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that cue button on Duffy's face there to attempt shielding her identity ?

Don't be hatin'. Duffy has a nice voice and catchy hooks. Not really a fan, but you have to give credit where it's due.

Naw, man, I'm not hating---just having a laff !

I like the Duffy tracks I've heard; she's reminds me of 1960s Brit popper Lulu...she just needs the right song ("To Sir, W/Love" or equivalent) to hang right up there.

I know.

I played "Mercy" with a band a few years ago and the guitar solo, by a guy who is capable of much more, was a running joke.

More contenders:

Rock division

8 Miles High / Byrds / solo by Roger McGuinn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bMjUU972So

In those days this bit of quasi-bebop was abt as far out as anything could be & is actually jazzier than most work on later, "jazz-oriented", Steely Dan records.

Even better, it has some real legit musical qualities

Consider the influence of the opening section had on Hendrix's "3rd Stone From The Sun".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUg7xl4kKUw

Pure pop category:

"Classical Gas" / Mason Williams, gtr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhMuCiAe6vA

This left-field hit, kinda like "Jesus Is Just Alright", kinda like Peter Green's "Oh, Well", kinda like a Bach construction, came & went leaving little trail on the history of pop music but had more effect on cats like Steve Howe (Yes) than a dozen old Segovia records.

d=halfnote

Poppiest Yes song ever. Don't you hear it at least twice a day on all of hte classic rock stations? :D

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Wow... That's a super-subjective category. It's one thing to talk about "pop" songs where guitarists played great solos. It's another to tag someone as a "pop" guitarist.

Heck, Steve Stevens (pedigree too long to mention) might qualify as a "pop" guitarist, depending on how people view Billy Idol (ask a punk purist, Billy Idol was pop) and how much weight you give his performance with MJ ("Dirty Diana")...

Well, maybe we can define our terms. What's the difference between "pop" (popular) music and rock (which we know is pretty popular). I FEEL there's a difference, but can't quite define it, and the more I think about it seems to me that "rock" is just a sub-set of "pop..."

And what's so freakin' terrible about good music being popular? I don't think Mozart and Beethoven hated it when people liked their music and came to hear them play it.....

Of course, lots of popular music ain't all that great, but some of it is. I'm looking for the good stuff in every genre I listen to.

And not all classical compositions have stood (or will stand)the test of time, either!

Archived