Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NE3 / Vent Question

lowerhodes

I apologize in advance for starting yet another Ventilator related thread. I have been seriously considering some type of real rotating speaker to run my NE3 through but it's been difficult for me to find anything other than the 130 lb vintage wooden real thing to try. Those are great but transporting it makes it unlikely. So, someone opined in another thread that the Vent doesn't sound good with a NE3 yet I have read that others are using them together happily. My main issue with the NE3 sim is the lack of tweakability in regard to ramp up and fast speed times. Will the Vent allow me greater lattitude with this than the NE3? I am aware that the OD on the Vent is highly regarded but that is not a big deal for me. Are you Nord/Vent users happy with this combo? Is it really that big an improvement over the internal sim? Thanks.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can buy the Vent now from places with a good return policy. I'd say try it and see. It's small enough to ship back if you decide it's not worth it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yes, the Vent will. I believe the NE3 has a little improvement over the NE2's simu, but if the Vent brings my NE2 to life, i'm sure it'll do the same to your NE3.
"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I use the Vent with the NE3. The NE3 output level must be reasonably high going into the Vent in order to get the Leslie sim overdrive really happening. What this means is that if you use the NE3 for other sounds as well, just be careful of the gain structuring for those sounds.

So gain structure the organ first, then, after by-passing the Vent, gain structure the rest of the NE3 sounds accordingly.

You will never use the NE3 without the Vent again! :deadhorse:

Thanks for all the prompt replies. I should also mention that I would likely buy the stereo bypass version of it. Also, I like to set it to brake on occasion. I know that requires a seperate switching mechanism. Is anyone doing either of these?

Yes, go for it.

Also, if you'd rather control the speed and stop with your hand instead of your foot it's a simple build or there are half-moon switches available.

You do have to have something external to get stop.

Hey, Steve, ever heard of the Emperor's New Clothes? :)

Ever heard of being an a$$hole? :) I've been reading your posts and had no idea that was you, "Ed". Say hello to Tyrone for me. I'm going to try and see you guys play when you're in Portland.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got my Ventilator a couple of days ago and I thought I'd weigh in with my .02 for those of you who are still on the fence about getting one. For me, playing an NE3, one issue was the ramp up time which even on it's slowest setting seemed faster than any real Leslie I had experience with and I just couldn't get used to that. The sound of the upper horn on fast never seemed right either. I really like my NE3 but the Vent is an improvement on both of these counts. More importantly, there is a subtle improvement that I can only characterize as realism. The difference is not dramatic and I suspect that many understandably do not consider it a $500 improvement but for me it's keeper. For those of you who prefer a sound on the clean end of the spectrum do not be dissuaded by the Vent's much lauded overdrive being it's main selling point. It's more than that.

That's a great summary. I have the same feelings about the Vent/NE3. The NE3 leslie by itself is not bad by any means, and a definite improvement over the NE2. But I have the same feeling on the ramp up time (too fast even on the slow setting), and the upper horn has a smoother, more realistic sound. The drive on the Vent is also much superior, though as you say it is an improvement even on clean settings.

Not essential, but a nice upgrade if you can swing it. (The Vent/XK3c question is a closer call, but that's for a different thread...)

Archived