Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KB3 - can leslie be controlled on SP4-7 w/o MIDI controller?

c4racer

I just received my new SP4-7. I was thinking the mod wheel would control leslie, but it seems to control overdrive on the KB3 organs. Is there a way to slow or brake the leslie effect directly from the SP4-7 without using an external MIDI control box? Manual doesn't cover this and I can't find anything on the Kurzweil website either.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sustain pedal is the default Leslie speed control.

As in just a tap will toggle it? Because that doesn't seem to make any noticable difference to me when I tried it.

According to the SP4 Series KB3 MIDI Implementation document on the Kurzweil website, Leslie speed is controlled by MIDI Control #64, which is Sustain, so out of the box, KB3 Leslie speed will be controlled by the sustain pedal.

Try holding the pedal down, rather than a momentary tap, see if that makes any difference.

As in just a tap will toggle it? Because that doesn't seem to make any noticable difference to me when I tried it.

Also, according to the Specs page at the website, under controllers it states:

"1 stereo switch-pedal input (supports two pedals with Y connector)".

I wonder if you may need an insert cable here as most "switch" or "momentary" inputs are simply TS type.

Does the pedal sustain your piano sounds OK?

A tap does toggle it.

As Oyarsa said, if the sustain pedal sustains the piano sounds, that's a good test that the pedal is fine... it should then work to toggle the Leslie.

Two other possibilities I can think of...

One, there may be some organ sounds in there that don't have Leslie enabled... i.e. they may be Vox/Farfisa kinds of sounds, and Kurz may only have the Leslie effect enabled on the KB3 sounds.

Two, the Leslie effect takes a lot of effects resources. If you're doing splits or layers, you may have run out of effects, and may lose the Leslie effect as a result. So be sure to check it in single-program mode.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Also, according to the Specs page at the website, under controllers it states:

"1 stereo switch-pedal input (supports two pedals with Y connector)".

I wonder if you may need an insert cable here as most "switch" or "momentary" inputs are simply TS type.

Does the pedal sustain your piano sounds OK?

Yes - my sustain pedal is working for piano sounds.

I tried on Lord B3, Grinder, Ninth Bar and Ready2Rock which seem like the most apropriate for my needs with the UFO band. I'm going to test drive it with that band tonight, so will be interesting to see how things sit in the mix - both B3's and Wurlys.

I'll check the other three tomorrow, but Lord B3 is an emulation of Jon Lord - who played a B3 through an overdriven Marshall guitar amp, no Leslie.

Some of the Kurzweil Stage Pianos have a TRS (stereo type) jack for pedals - which allows two pedals, one between T&S (like an ordinary mono connection) and the other between R&S. It MAY be that the Leslie control is on whichever one you are not switching. The SP88X that I used to have had that type of sustain pedal system.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I was able to get the leslie to toggle using the sustain pedal using Grinder and Ninth Bar.

Sounded good in the mix overall - I'm happy with the sound and the portability is just what I was looking for.

My bandmates said to use the full sized Yamaha for shows whenever we have a big full sized stage tho because it looks more impressive. SP4-7 looks too much like a toy Casio I guess :-) HA.

Archived