Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Fat Finger

CEB

I saw one these clamped on a Stratocaster headstock. It is supposed to increase sustain.

Has anyone ever done a with and without comparison on this device?

I'm considering go back to a modeler or amp modling software and not using amps on stage. I only play guitar on 4 or 5 songs a night. I'm a keyboard player by trade.

I thought if this fat finger thing works it may be of use. .... but maybe not.

Thanks

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've fiddled around with various ways of getting a similar effect- more mass at the headstock translates into more sustain and a fuller, fatter tone overall. It will vary with the guitar used, though, and if you get feedback from loud speakers vibrating the guitar, it might actually detract from that- but again, this will vary, and quite widely.

FWIW, the Fatfinger- and before it, the Fathead- was invented and marketed by Aspen Pitman of Groove Tubes/GT Electronics fame. Fender bought GT a few years ago.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Here's an OLD thread from another forum concerning GT Fat Fingers and Fat-Heads (and DIY-alternatives) being used on basses... They're the same as the Fender-branded 'Fingers 'n' 'Heads...

One poster there happened to have used a Fat Finger on a guitar, and had this to say:

FWIW, I've never tried it on a bass, but I experimented with weights clamped to a g****r headstock. I was interested in increasing sustain and "liveliness," not removing dead spots, and it worked quite well. IMO, the Fatfinger is pretty expensive. If you have the ability to machine it, a DIY weight can be made from most anything for well under $10. I prefer something permenantly mounted anyway.

As always, YMMV.

Also of interest there (note the "P.S." concerning placement of the 'Finger):

I just bought two Fat Fingers - one for a new fretted Carvin four-string, the other for a new fretless Carvin four...

The fretless in particular has a nasty dead spot in the usual place - G string, frets 5-7. I'm happy to report that the Fat Finger makes a difference.

I won't claim the instrument sounds like a graphite-neck Zon or Modulus. But the sustain and resonance are markedly improved - for the first time, I have actual mwah where I used to have only thud.

Is it pricey? Sure enough. But is it worth it? For me it is...

MM

P.S. Thus far I seem to get the best results by clamping it right at the end of the headstock - as one might reasonably expect. YMMV...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

anything that gives more mass will help with sustain a little. but, like others have said, a c-clamp will work too. i always thought they were kinda dorky looking. i tried one, it did help the sustain a little, but not enough to warrant what groove tubes was charging for them.

It reminds me of when you see one of the kids who's clipped a rear carbon fiber wing on a civic.

But, anyone who's ever installed heavy duty tuners to replace something stock can attest to the alterations to the tone. I'm not certain those alterations are always good either!

Archived