Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SamAsh rocks!

offnote

Been today in SamAsh store in Margate, Florida and I was stunned after GC visit week ago. Almost every current keyboard I could think of or which I could find on the net was displayed in that store. Even more each keyboard was actually connected so you could play! Completely unlike as in GC. Anyway I spent 3 hours there auditioning everything from roland v-piano through yamaha CP-5, kawai MP10, motif XF, SV-1, kronos (with broken stick), roland digital grand pianos RG5, RG7 an many more. It was great to compare keys action and appearance side by side of many keyboards I didn't have occasion to try yet. For instance I have never seen so ugly keyboard as CP-5 :grin: what happened to yamaha? it had pretty good piano sounds but action way too shallow and light. I loved the v-piano, great sound and action but this semi ivory keys top were worn off with blackish spots...Is it so because so many people have tried it with their dirty hands or something wrong with v-piano keybed? I have supposedly the same keybed in RD-700GX and din't have such problem yet.

Next I tried Kawai MP10 which along with the v-piano had absolutely best hammer action I played after acoustics.

Briefly went through some combies on kronos and besides action which was very good I wasn't so impressed. Sounds wise I'd say korg got very close to yamaha right now when I listened to performances on both. Weird I tried SV-1 and although same RH3 action felt different on kronos, also keys covering on SV-1 were too plastic under fingers unlike as on kronos.

Managed to compare action on some controllers as well which I'm interested in right now and I'm glad I din't order arturia 49 which although weighted had very shallow and wobbling, noisy keys. I liked novation nocturn keys feel very much instead, very nice fast fatar action and keys are not as short as on m-audio or roland controllers and junos keyboards.

Anyway it's awesome you guys have so many music stores in US where you can practice ;) when on business trip :cool:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The keys on the V-Piano at my local big box retailer always look filthy. I have had a 700GX for a few years and not seen anything like that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ash, though I have been critical about them in the past is a profitable company. Family owned, I've seen Richie Ash who is about my age in the stores since the early 70's. When I was out of work in my computer gig I considered working for them and did a little background check as to their financial health last year. I was going to walk into Ash, Steinway and GC, that was the plan and I did. The only profitable co of those three at least on paper (internet public news and balance sheets) was Ash. Steinway and GC had been losing $ for a while.

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

The keys on the V-Piano at my local big box retailer always look filthy. I have had a 700GX for a few years and not seen anything like that.

in 6k dollars keyboard isn't it a shame?

Yes, I've seen missing knobs on the one here, too, though they seem to have fixed that or replaced the entire unit.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Been today in SamAsh store in Margate, Florida and I was stunned after GC visit week ago. Almost every current keyboard I could think of or which I could find on the net was displayed in that store. Even more each keyboard was actually connected so you could play! Completely unlike as in GC.

I wish we had a Sam Ash close by. The one in King of Prussia, PA is better stocked than any of the GC stores but it's a much longer drive.

:(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Had a business trip to Delaware last month and stopped by the King of Prussia store. Very impressed, every keyboard I could think of plugged in and with amplification.

Ended up buying a pair of monitors, the salesman was very helpful on the different options, extremely happy with my purchase.

I used to shop a lot in the White Plain, NY in the 90s, never had an issue.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

In Raleigh, NC; SA and GC are across the street from each other. Might have just been that day, but last fall when I visited both, it was a LOT quieter in GC - they kept a firm hand on wannabees being loud.

Gear selection in keyboards was not nearly as good at either compared to a visit to SA in the Orlando area. (but there probably was one of every guitar known to man in the GC).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Went to the SA in Nashville years ago. Wanted to buy a K2600 demo they had for a good price. Could not get anyone to wait on me and finally gave up.

Went to a SA around Clearwater a year later with the intention of buying a Korg Electribe to play with while on vacation. Could not get anyone to wait on me. Finally gave up.

This post edited for speling.

Went to the SA in Nashville years ago. Wanted to buy a K2600 demo they had for a good price. Could not get anyone to wait on me and finally gave up.

Went to a SA around Clearwater a year later with the intention of buying a Korg Electribe to play with while on vacation. Could not get anyone to wait on me. Finally gave up.

why didn't you grab the keyboard and headed toward the exit doors, I'm sure you'd get your attention :grin:

Yeah, after travelling all over the states over the years

I have noticed that overall standards went down in many network business. What is good in one place doesn't have to be as good as in other for the same business. Run down is particularly visible in some stores and hotels. Economy crisis hit I guess.

I've found a handy solution to that. Call the store from your cell phone, and when someone answers, say, "Hi, I'm standing in your keyboard department with a lot of cash I'd like to spend, and I was wondering what I had to do to get someone to wait on me?"

I've also used a similar tactic when waiting to be seated at restaurants. :thu:

Thin margins on keyboards, high costs to keep good employees, internet retailer pressures... it must suck to be in brick-and-mortar music retail these days. You don't want to be the demo room for an Internet-only dealer.

-John

I make software noises.

Thin margins on keyboards, high costs to keep good employees, internet retailer pressures... it must suck to be in brick-and-mortar music retail these days. You don't want to be the demo room for an Internet-only dealer.

-John

:thu: very true.

Went to the same store, I was greeted by a cute greeter girl at the entrance. The staff were all around me but never in my face. I bought a amp stand for a friend of mine. The name of the guy on the cash was Evander Lipps. True story. He was named after his grandfather.

It felt just like the local Long & MacQuade store except for the cute greeter girl.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

The SA Clearwater, FL store is pretty weak regarding keys and bass. It's 'ok' for guitar and drums.

The SA in Tampa, FL is considered the 'pro' shop. The keyboard dept is run by the same guy who has worked there when it was Thoroughbred Music in the 80's. I bought my first keyboard from him when I was 16 (Korg Poly800)! He's a pro player and been the organ grinder for the Tampa Bay Rays (MLB) for pretty much their entire existence.

He keeps the inventory pretty current. Been meaning to stop in to see if he has the SK1 in yet. He's old school and keeps all the electro mechanical simulators in stock...E3, XK, SV, etc. They're pretty much the only place in the Tampa Bay area that does.

I've never been to GC or SA in Orlando. I'd imagine they have a good inventory, what with all the show bands, theme park musicians, dinner theatre bands and local scene.

I was pretty impressed with the Charlotte store when we visited there this summer. Way better selection, showroom, and service than anything in Rochester, NY.

Yamaha YC-73, Roland Fantom 7, Korg Kronos 2-73, Roland RD-2000, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Mainstage w/ Arturia Keylab 61 mkii, Yamaha U1 Upright

How I wish we had something other than GC here in the Dallas area.

Some of the guys are cool and knowledgeable, but the keyboard areas are treated like an afterthought. If I want help, I usually do like the Wayne's World "May I help you riff" and play a bit of Jump really loud ;)

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

How I wish we had something other than GC here in the Dallas area.
You too, eh? What's screwy is, there's a SA (Sam Ash) in SA (San Antonio). I can't figure how they rate one.

The funny thing was twice already this year once in Philly, PA area and second time here in south Florida some local music stores told me they didn't carry keyboards because these days nobody plays them. Only guitars and drums...

Archived