Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Setup Tools

dvuksanovich

OK... so I'm getting sick of paying sub-par repair shops to do desperately average set ups on my axes. I want it the way I want it and I need to start setting up my guitars myself. I know all theory about how to do a setup, but the one thing I lack is the proper tools... or even the knowledge of where to find them.

The strobe tuner I know where to find... but where's the best place to find a long straight edge (for neck relief purposes) and the precision measuring tools for measuring neck relief and action?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shop around for some tools; Stewart-MacDonald has very excellent, highly specialized tools, but if something a little more general might do- and sometimes for a lot less- look, for instance, at MSC Industrial Supply.

The excellent book, How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great by Dan Erlewine, happens to come with a nice set of light plastic radius-gauges inside- a nice free bonus! I've gotten some good use out of mine...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I got Dan Erlewine's book...

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-3rd/dp/0879309210

Good info in there and a great guide for what tools you need...

Most of the tools I got a Stew Mac but some things you can pick up at your local Autoparts shop...

Here are some cool radius-gauges that you can print-out on card-stock (for FREE!):

Concave Radius Gauges

Convex Radius Gauges

Besides checking fretboard r and setting the r of bridge-saddles, nut-slots, etc., you can use the concave r gauges to set the initial heights of a pickup's adjustable pole-pieces, and then further adjust them by ear for string-to-string balance and tone.

I don't mind paying either... as long as the work is done well. I can't tell you how many times I've requested low action (some buzz acceptable) and gotten the guitar back with high action and no buzz. I always end up adjusting everything myself anyway so I figure why not learn how to do it all and then I won't have to pay someone to set up a guitar that I have to re-set up myself?

I don't mind paying either... as long as the work is done well. I can't tell you how many times I've requested low action (some buzz acceptable) and gotten the guitar back with high action and no buzz. I always end up adjusting everything myself anyway so I figure why not learn how to do it all and then I won't have to pay someone to set up a guitar that I have to re-set up myself?

Set-up is a highly subjective, personal matter, varying not only with the player but with the given instrument; whoever is doing the set-up really needs to know what and how the player plays in order to do a good job. Some back-and-forth communication and trial-and-error is often necessary.

That being said, it does sound pretty lame that you got something very different from what you had asked for!

Have any of ya here tried printing-out those radius-gauges (linked-to above)? I haven't, myself, but only because I already had a set of 'em...

You can actually find a good straight-edge at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Good call, Tool-Wielding Yeti. (Playing a well-adjusted guitar for lured lost maladjusted hikers, then eating them, sure beats eating termites and ants off a stick, huh?)

For example gauges can be made from strips of guitar strings (so logical, yet so uncanny !).

Brilliant! Thanks!

Here's a humble tip: I buy a multi-tip Allen wrench (one thingy with lots of Allen wrenches on it) for each of my guitar cases, so I always have one handy for adjusting bridge saddles, whammy bar tension, even truss rods (though I don't touch truss rod adjustments that often -- too scared!).

(though I don't touch truss rod adjustments that often -- too scared!).

Don't fear the truss-rod; as long as you go easy and careful with small adjustments like an eighth or a quarter turn at a time, small steps as-needed, you'll be fine; if the given guitar's truss-rod is suspect due to age, neglect, rust, a very little bit of lubricant applied to the threads can often help.

Gheeze, I adjust mine a LOT- the climate where I live is chaotic to say the least, being on a big wooded hill overlooking a HUGE lake (mile or two wide, nearly forty miles long) and a valley with a canal and a marsh in upstate New York... ! One Spring a few years ago alone, I must have adjusted my guitars' truss-rods no less than eight times EACH... !

Archived