Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DION

whitefang

Remember Dion?

You know. "Runaround Sue", "The Wanderer", "Ruby", "Abraham etc., etc."

OK, now remember those music stations on my cable service I mentioned? "Music Choice"?

Well, I had Music Choice on the "Blues" channel yesterday, and they were playing a recording done by Dion! The info showed it was from 2009! I don't recall the CD's title, but the song was a cover of Chuck Berry's "Nadine". Wasn't a bad cover, but of course, nowhere near as good as Chuck.

Now, I didn't even know Dion was still ALIVE, let alone still recording. And must be selling enough for someone to keep letting him still record! Lest, of course, it's all self-produced.

But somehow it left me feeling not so old anymore.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, he's had a continuing career, not just riding his oldies.

I can't recall the names but I'm sure on wikipedia or allmusic you can find some of his records from intervening years.

During the late 1970s a friend played me an album with some quite credible bluesy material.

The guy's a good singer and I think he writes at least some of his stuff, too.

A whole lot of people who had a couple hits when they were in their 20's have kept careers going into middle age doing Vegas, business conventions, resorts, oldies revivals, etc. Out of the limelight but still making money off those hits.

Even producing and doing commercials. The guy who sings in the Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" commercials...some of the best advertising I've ever heard :) ...is the singer from Survivor (Eye of the Tiger).

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

Oh the shark has, pretty teeth dear, and he shows them, pearly white, just a jacknife has ol Mac Heath dear and he keeps it, out a sight...from the cool crooner of rock and roll...Dion and the Belmonts...I still sing Ruby Ruby from time to time...
Take care, Larryz

Dion Dimucci? Sure I remember him, I was a teenager in the fifties, and a big music fan at the time. I liked the heck outta his work back then, as I did with Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, and all those rockers of the fifties.

Oh the shark has, pretty teeth dear, and he shows them, pearly white, just a jacknife has ol Mac Heath dear and he keeps it, out a sight...from the cool crooner of rock and roll...Dion and the Belmonts...I still sing Ruby Ruby from time to time...

Dion did that? can't say as I remember his version, although I remember Bobby Darins version.

Mac The Knife;

The song was first introduced to American audiences in the first English-language production of The Threepenny Opera, which played on Broadway in 1933. The English lyrics were by Gifford Cochran and Jerrold Krimsky. However, that production was a complete flop and the song did not catch on. In the best known English translation, from the Marc Blitzstein 1954 version of The Threepenny Opera, which played Off-Broadway for well over six years, the words are:

Oh the shark has pretty teeth dear,

And he shows them pearly white

Just a jack-knife has Macheath dear

And he keeps it out of sight.

This is the version popularized by Louis Armstrong (1956) and Bobby Darin (1959) (Darin's lyrics differ slightly), and most subsequent swing versions. Weill's widow, Lotte Lenya, the star of both the original 1928 German production and the 1954 Blitzstein Broadway version, was present in the studio during Armstrong's recording. He spontaneously added her name to the lyrics, which already named several of Macheath's female victims.

The rarely heard final versenot included in the original play, but added by Brecht for the 1930 movieexpresses the theme, and compares the glittering world of the rich and powerful with the dark world of the poor:

Anyway, getting back to Dion,

Was he the first person to use the kazoo in a rock'n'roll tune(Little Diane), or did someone preceed him?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Dion did three Christian albums in the late 70's, early 80's, "Inside Job", "I Put Away My Idols", & "Kingdom In The Streets". The production was a kinda low budget on all of them, but he did a great job singing and writing the songs. If you can find a copy of "Inside Job", it's worth listening to for the guitar work and his vocals alone.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Larry, that's the best version of "When The Circle Gets Unbroken" I've heard all day.

Too bad (or maybe not) yer remembering Bobby Darin.

What a BF (Brain Fart) :facepalm: you guys are absolutely right, my sincere apologies for the Darin/Dion/Darwin momentary lapse of reality...just getting old I guess? by and by Lord, by and by... :idk

Take care, Larryz

Archived