Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chairs that are good for both typing/DAW and keyboard playin

mikecorbett

So I have always had this problem in the studio. Basically I sit quite high at the piano, higher than typical for an office desk or chair. Also, I am suffering from having cheap furniture. Its hard getting something that will work for using a DAW, playing a keyboard, and lounging in/leaning back in.

Any suggestions?

What chairs do you guys love or loath?

I was thinking an Aeron, but do any of you use one for both playing and computer use in the studio?

Greetings to all

Mike

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a regular swivel office chair at the DAW (and other computers) - quite an old one really. For the keyboard, I use a Ludwig D2000R drum throne with backrest. The backrest is quite narrow, so it doesn't get in the way.

If I'm running the DAW AND playing the keyboard, I move the drum throne over a little and rotate around a bit to get to whickever one needed at the moment.

The drum throne weighs a lot more than the X type keyboard seat, but the back rest is really nice for longer sessions.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I use the roc'n soc Lunar w/ back rest:

http://www.rocnsoc.com/lunar-series.html

The wheels & hydrolic height adjustment allow me to move quickly from DAW to my Trapkat to my office computer pretty quickly.

It's not perfect but it's the best I've found. I'm sitting on that thing for anywhere between 40-60 hours per week. Good build quality.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I use an office-type chair for both piano playing and computer typing. I use the same one, in fact, as the two places are a few meters apart. I've noticed that the backrest helps me to prevent getting fatigued after a long piano session (of course, I never lean my whole back while playing; I just enjoy lower back support). So I have relegated the piano bench to the master keyboard location, where I need to turn around quickly in a little space.

Needless to say, my chair doesn't have armrests, and it's adjustable in height with a gas system. :)

When playing the console Hammond I use what looks like an office chair - I believe it's called a "task chair." It has all the usual office chair adjustments but it telescopes to a much higher height. It's the kind of chair you'd see being used in a warehouse, at a parts counter, workbench, etc. Mine will lower to normal desk height or extend to too-tall-for-Hammond-use height.

For regular gigs I use a Rok-n-Sock nitro with a backrest: http://www.rocnsoc.com/nitro-throne.html The height is adjustable but it doesn't go very high, and it becomes less stable the higher it goes. It probably would not work well for what you're looking for (I'm a tall guy and sit fairly low for gigs so it's not much of an issue for me.)

Aeron. I've had one for years. I think I have the "Fully Loaded" model. Excellent back support, & all kind of adjustments, including Lumbar. I've used it at my computer desk for years, & when I had a NE2, I'd just wheel it over & raise the height. Haven't used it at my piano tho.

http://www.sit4less.com/landing-pages/aeron-chairs/126?gclid=CMyvlOCu3qoCFYJx4Aody2J29A

I also use an Aeron in my home office/studio. It works fine for me, I like it quite a lot. It's very adjustable, and I've got it set up just right for me.

The height adjustment is great for going back and forth between computer and keyboard.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

my chair doesn't have armrests, and it's adjustable in height with a gas system. :)

My adjustable chair has armrests, but its gas mechanism has been giving me "that sinking feeling" as of late. Have you ever experienced that?

:taz:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

my chair doesn't have armrests, and it's adjustable in height with a gas system. :)

My adjustable chair has armrests, but its gas mechanism has been giving me "that sinking feeling" as of late. Have you ever experienced that?

I have heard of gas systems failing in relation to the Herman Miller Aeron funnily enough, apparently they will send a tech out to fix it. I would refer to the manufacturer of your chair to see what can be done about it.

So, back on topic, so far a couple of votes for Aerons, a drum stool and variations of office chairs without arms. Im glad im not the only person who has head scratched over this, and that a few of you seem to confirm that you sit higher at a piano than at a computer.

Anyone else?

I have heard of gas systems failing in relation to the Herman Miller Aeron funnily enough, apparently they will send a tech out to fix it. I would refer to the manufacturer of your chair to see what can be done about it.

Thanks, but this was a "Staples special" chair, so I'll likely have to fix it myself.

:laugh:

Thanks, but this was a "Staples special" chair, so I'll likely have to fix it myself.

:laugh:

I hear ya! And thats part of my problem, over the years I have always bought random $50-$150 chairs. Its that old thing of "Buy cheap_buy twice" except in my case with a few international moves its been more like buy 8 or 9 times. Some chairs have been better than others but none have been great. I'm seriously considering investing in something high end as I only have one back!

I'm seriously considering investing in something high end as I only have one back!

Amen to that. Funny thing is, I originally bought an armless chair at Staples and then upgraded to the one I have now (with arms) a few years later. My wife took my old one and it still works fine, but the newer one is sinking...

I'm seriously considering investing in something high end as I only have one back!

Amen to that. Funny thing is, I originally bought an armless chair at Staples and then upgraded to the one I have now (with arms) a few years later. My wife took my old one and it still works fine, but the newer one is sinking...

Shoot! It can hardly hurt to bring it in to them and explain what happened? Failing that we could start a group buy on some HM Aerons! (kidding)

Shoot! It can hardly hurt to bring it in to them and explain what happened?

My chair is over 5 years old, so I doubt they would do anything.

Who knows, the company that made it may have gone out of business by now!

Shoot! It can hardly hurt to bring it in to them and explain what happened?

My chair is over 5 years old, so I doubt they would do anything.

Who knows, the company that made it may have gone out of business by now!

It might be time for an upgrade then... though if you want to try and fix it start here

My DAW chair is big and comfortable, made for relaxing while listening to a mix. It does not work well with my keyboards. For keyboards I use anything from a padded folding chair to my Roc-n-soc drum throne with back rest attachment. The Roc-n-soc has good padding. The older I get the more I need good padding.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

My DAW chair is big and comfortable, made for relaxing while listening to a mix. It does not work well with my keyboards. For keyboards I use anything from a padded folding chair to my Roc-n-soc drum throne with back rest attachment. The Roc-n-soc has good padding. The older I get the more I need good padding.

But does this big and comfy chair also work well for working on mixes, when your in a more forward position, mousing , typing etc. I have a big comfy chair but its ONLY good for sitting back and listening, it doesn't like me doing the actual work! This is why I got searching for task chairs.

Do any of you guys use the Roc n Soc using a backrest in front of a DAW, how does that work? Ive discovered they have a great range of different height options. And they are quite a bit cheaper than HM Aerons.

I've tried using my roc-n-soc at the computer and found that I shifted around from board to board too much to make that work. I tried using our good HON office chair with arms but didn't like playing the piano from it. I now use a piano bench placed at an angle between the controller and the Voyager. I straddle the front left corner of the bench. I can play either instrument comfortably by shifting across the bench, or turn around and play the two boards that sit behind me. Using a piano bench makes me sit up straighter than I would in a springy office chair.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I've tried using my roc-n-soc at the computer and found that I shifted around from board to board too much to make that work. I tried using our good HON office chair with arms but didn't like playing the piano from it. I now use a piano bench placed at an angle between the controller and the Voyager. I straddle the front left corner of the bench. I can play either instrument comfortably by shifting across the bench, or turn around and play the two boards that sit behind me. Using a piano bench makes me sit up straighter than I would in a springy office chair.

Interesting! I was kind of doing this too with a piano bench, but just to clarify, do you also work the computer from the piano bench? I did and I found that 1: I was too high up 2: I couldn't lean back obviously and 3: Unlike you I ended up hunching when using the computer from the piano bench and I then carried all the tension in my shoulders .. not good; the piano bench was fine for playing keyboards of course.

Anyone else got good ideas? feel free to post pics!

1: I was too high up 2: I couldn't lean back obviously and 3: Unlike you I ended up hunching when using the computer from the piano bench and I then carried all the tension in my shoulders

My "computer desk" is a 6' banquet table on risers as to accommodate a keyboard stand underneath. My controller sits neatly under the edge of the table. On the table top is the mouse, surface controller, and wireless qwerty keyboard. If I need to do any hardcore typing I cover the 88 and lay the qwerty on it. I do find myself leaning forward more than I'd like to and get the shoulder tension. Then it's a matter of paying attention to posture and stretching occasionally. During a mix I find that I can comfortably prop myself on my elbows and situate myself into the sweet spot.

It's not perfect, but I haven't yet found a computer desk that did everything I need it to do for what I'm willing to pay.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Do any of you guys use the Roc n Soc using a backrest in front of a DAW, how does that work? Ive discovered they have a great range of different height options. And they are quite a bit cheaper than HM Aerons.

Works fine for me. I have one for my studio, one for my home rig / man cave & one for my gig rig. I don't take the backrest to gigs though. The only thing I'd say is a negative, is that sometimes if I work a very long day at the studio (12 hours plus) it'll get a little uncomfortable. Problem is I just haven't found a more comfortable solution that has the same flexibility w/o armrests.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

My wife bought me an Aeron about 10 years ago, and I love it! Still going strong, had one repair a few years ago, but HM actually did send someone to fix it. For free! I use it at the computer, and I'll occasionally roll it over to the Rhodes, which is to my left a few feet away. My main keyboard setup I play from a drum stool, I like to sit a little higher than is comfortable with the Aeron. But I'm a work at home computer guy and I do a lot of mixing/engineering, so I spend a lot of time with my butt in that chair, and it rules!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived