Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Karma" or not?

b3maniac

I really enjoy reading the posts here, as there is a lot of collective knowledge, and experiences that we have in common. This can be a tough audience on certain topics,

but there is also a lot of understanding about some the experiences we share. A recent personal experience makes me want to ask the forum about something that Ive never seen here before. You might call it musical karma , or how we subtly interact with other people in making music.

I played in bands from the mid-1960s until about 2003. For the past seven years I havent been playing with a regular group, and have appeased my need to play by doing some home recording with some local friends. Thats fun, but it isnt the same as the live interaction with musicians that seem to have both a mental and musical connection.

I last gigged with a band that was together 23 or 24 years, and that group jelled both musically and personally. I always sensed a kind of karma between us and that was reflected in our music. Since that group, I hadnt experienced that same feeling with any other group of musicians, and I tried to relegate that feeling to having worked with my band for many years.

A few weeks ago I was asked by a friend if I would consider filling-in with an R&B group to perform at an upcoming music festival. My friend is one of the festival organizers, and was concerned with loosing the R&B act as the headliner for the show. (The band had lost their keyboard player due to illness, and needed someone to help them on the one job. I didnt know it at the time, but they had gone through several months of running ads and holding auditions without finding the right person). The band leader called me and I agreed to practice with them a couple of times and play their hour set at the festival, just to help them out, and as a favor to my friend.

We got together two weeks ago, and ran over their set for the show. They are a group of super nice people, excellent players and singers, and the music was great. From the first notes, I had that karma feeling with them, and I could tell they felt it too. There were lots of smiles as we played, and after running through the set they asked me if I would consider being their regular keyboard player. Yes, indeed.

We rehearsed again last night, and it feels so good to play with this particular group. Its like I found a musical home with this band, and I am excited about playing with them.

Does anyone else feel this type of sensation (connection, karma) , or lack there-of, with the groups you work with?

Don

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an awesome story. Congratulations on coming out of performance retirement and loving it.

I know what you're talking about with 'musical karma' although I wouldn't have described it with the same words. I would call it a 'synergy' with everybody working together and vibing off one another. Everybody does need to be at a particular level of proficiency for this to happen, but you can have a band of badasses and NOT have this also. It all depends on how much people are going to listen to one another and love the groove. It also depends on everybody's attitude in general as well. But when it's there, it's one of the great feelings in the world, and one that most people don't ever get to experience.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Some bands are tremendous synergies. The Beatles were one. Individually each member may not have been at the absolute pinnacle of their particular craft.

John's, Paul's, Ringo's and George's solo work and other project efforts were each OK in their own regard I guess.

But when those 4 individual came together something happened that none could match indivually or when left free to hire the best sidemen money could buy. .... IMO

There is a lot to be said for chemistry.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Chasing that "high" keeps many musos engaged to the point of playing in wack bands and/or taking less than desirable gigs.

It is great that you were able to come out of retirement into a good situation. Enjoy the ride/vibe mayne. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I haven't experienced that lately, and I really miss it! Not that I dislike the musicians I've played with recently, or think they suck. It's just that the synergy is missing. It's still more fun that staying home and playing tiddlywinks.......

Yep. In my old band we talked about getting our groove back when we lost it (we never did and broke up instead), but it's the same thing.

CEB, your post about the The Beatles is funny, because I'd suspect that their karma started out high, and then dropped in later years. I'm sure there were periods where it wasn't there at all, though I don't doubt it came back at certain points (perhaps with Abbey Road as one example).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

B3Maniac, congratulations on finding a great group!

I guess I've been pretty lucky, because most bands I play with I've had at least some kind of connection/gelling, and some groups there was a very obvious connection. The last band I co-led for 7 years was definitely like that. I think our creative output was greater than the sum of its parts, too ... and sadly I probably won't see most of our songs ever recorded. We only released one CD but the nonrecorded music is so much better IMO. :(

Other bands have been all business, not really connecting personally with the people but able to do the job, others where we liked each other personally but musically/professionally for some reason it was way more work than the rewards (not just monetarily).

At this point, after being in such an intense collaboration with the band I co-led, now I prefer to be a "solo" artist backed by a band. I have a roster of multiple bassists and drummers who seem to click, though I have my first-string favorites. I feel fortunate to have a group of people I enjoy musically as well as personality-wise! And I've also played with musicians who did not click with me or the other player(s) ... in that case, I prefer to not play with that person anymore, instead of put up with a substandard groove. It seems some bands hold onto players that don't work, and it drags down a group that would otherwise have more of those magical musical moments.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Thanks to all for your thoughts and input. I've had a lot of musical experiences with many different players, but that special synergy has only been there with a few groups of people.

Johnchop, this drummer knows his stuff, and plays tastefully, He's also a great singer and very laid-back personable guy.

Synthoid, I did wonder if anyone would key-in on my use of "karma" , so the picture did give me a smile! Of course you know I have a mania for the Hammond sound.......lol.

Bobby, yes the work "synergy" is a good descriptor, as is CEB's use of the word "chemistry". I think all the posters understand exactly what I was trying to describe. I suppose if no one has ever personally experienced it, I don't know that they would understand it.

Thanks ProfD, it is a good situation. In my case, that lack of synergy was the main reason I hadn't been playing. There have been other opportunities, but none that felt like this.

Eric, I hope you get lucky like I did and find it again. I know I certainly was missing it in recent years , to the point I didn't want to gig with a regular group.

Joe, maybe a relaxing trip to the islands would help get that groove back?

Geekgurl, I think I've been lucky as well. Wish you the best with your current efforts!

I know that I've been blessed to have played with many gifted people who share a love of music. I can only conclude that I'm being blessed once more with that same rare experience.

Don

Synthoid, I did wonder if anyone would key-in on my use of "karma" , so the picture did give me a smile! Of course you know I have a mania for the Hammond sound.......lol.

Some day I hope to have a portable Hammond, but can't afford it now since work has all but dried up here.

:(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Some day I hope to have a portable Hammond, but can't afford it now since work has all but dried up here.

:(

I love the Hammonds, but actually use a CX3, or my laptop with VB3. Considering the Hammond SK1 though, if they have some of the initial bugs fixed. Don

Archived