Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New set of wheels

Aidan

So after five years of pounding up and down the UK's roads, my Toyota Verso is a bit long in the tooth and I've decided to get a new set of wheels. And for the first time in three decades of motoring, I've gone with a van - a Citroen Berlingo, to be exact...

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/berlingo1.jpg

Reasons? Well, more secure for a start. Safer, too - I recently had a PA monitor hit the back of the driver's seat in an emergency stop, not a pleasant experience. And just so practical in terms of hauling gear. Check out all the space...

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/berlingo2.jpg

I'm also having it on contract hire, which means I just pay a set amount each month and get a new van every three years, and I can write it against tax. Bit of a no-brainer.

Plenty of creature comforts, too. The model I chose comes with aircon, Bluetooth phone connection and MP3 streaming either via the BT or USB. And a built in satnav.

I went with the red, incidentally. My wife was concerned with me becoming "white van man" (a familiar hate figure in the UK). I think she thought I was going to start hanging out of the driver's window and wolf-whistling passing females.

Picking it up in a couple of weeks or so...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like a Ford van they offer here in the states, called a Transit or something like that. I think it's based off of a Mazda platform though. 2 liter engine, gets 20+ mpg.

I was thinking about getting rid of my old conversion van because it gets about 12mpg on a good day, but I only use it for the band, and it's paid for. I can't justify picking up a car payment of $300 a month or more when I only drive 250-500 miles a month. So, I'll keep the old van until something breaks that makes it not worth fixing. I could get by with a pretty small SUV type vehicle if I didn't haul 2 18" subs and the tops for our PA too.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Does it come with the pallet, ladder, and the cardboard boxes? And what's with the only seat up front being on the wrong side?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I thought everyone knew people in England drive on the left side of the road, and because of that they have controls on the opposite side of cars made for right-side driving.
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

That's sporty enough looking that you might not get the incidental benefit for us drivers of minivans, or "birth control on wheels" as I like to call them.

Dan, forget that SUV. Minivans are cheaper, ride better, hold a lot more, get way better gas mileage, and as mentioned above, provide excellent protection against STDs and praternity suits!

You know you're going to end up filling all that lovely empty space with...new gear. If you listen carefully, you can hear it calling to you...buy me, buy me.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. - W. C. Fields

I thought everyone knew people in England drive on the left side of the road, and because of that they have controls on the opposite side of cars made for right-side driving.
:facepalm:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That looks like a sweet gear-hauler! Will you have the cargo shield like the photo? That's a nice feature.

The problem for me would be that I'd start thinking about gigging my A100, and my whole gear schlep would escalate out of control. :D

Dan, forget that SUV. Minivans are cheaper, ride better, hold a lot more, get way better gas mileage, and as mentioned above, provide excellent protection against STDs and p[a]ternity suits!

D*mn Jeff, you just took all of the fun out having a gig-mobile that also leads to happy endings. :D

Aidan, congrats on the acquisition of a GHV (Gear hauling Vehicle) and BCV (Birth Control Vehicle). :wave::laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Thanks guys, yeah I'm getting the cargo bulkhead as per the earlier pic. It has a solid base but you can take out the bit behind the passenger seat to extend load length if needed.

It's a diesel, expected average mpg in high 40s. Eric, you can actually get three abreast at a push...

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/berlingo3.jpg

Not for long distances mind but it was quite feasible to get myself, wife and salesman across there for the test drive. When not in use, the middle seat folds down to form a table with padlockable stowage space below.

As for the sex appeal or lack of it, I suspect it's not the van that's going to be the problem in any given situation :)

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

When I was driving in England, that was not the case. :freak:

Yeah, I know what you mean, LOL.

The jokes are old now, but I don't care. I was going to say, "Nice ride, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side!"

There, I just said it anyway. :D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I climbed off a 12 hour flight my first time in England, and they handed me the keys to a car. Bad mistake. Forget the seat being on the wrong side - the rear view mirror was too. And I had to shift gears with my left hand!

When I returned the car a week later, bulges in the tires from scrubbing curbs, and with the side mirror knocked off, they didn't even blink an eye.

I guess the car rental companies are used to Yanks (and everybody else in the civilized world) bashing their cars up.

Don't get me started on roundabouts whose exits are labelled with the nearest town instead of the name of the road. :mad:

Moe

---

Don't get me started on roundabouts whose exits are labelled with the nearest town instead of the name of the road. :mad:

Isn't that logical, I don't know the road number/code/name but I do know where I'm going to? :D I think in most countries there's usually both the town name and road number listed on the traffic sign.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

It wasn't logical to me as a non-local. I wanted to drive from London to Cambridge. I am capable of reading a map and can pick out the highway I want to find, but when I get on a roundabout and it says "Stokefort on Pudding thataway", that doesn't help me much.

I spent two weeks in Germany just prior to going to England, and everything was much more logical.

But don't get me started on the humorless German police... ;)

Moe

---

I guess my sense of humor was on the wrong side of the road when I made that post. :-) I give a +1 to that facepalm
I laughed and assumed you knew.
Dan, forget that SUV. Minivans are cheaper, ride better, hold a lot more, get way better gas mileage, and as mentioned above, provide excellent protection against STDs and p[a]ternity suits!

D*mn Jeff, you just took all of the fun out having a gig-mobile that also leads to happy endings. :D

Aidan, congrats on the acquisition of a GHV (Gear hauling Vehicle) and BCV (Birth Control Vehicle). :wave::laugh::cool:

No, his doesn't qualify as BCV. Lack of windows in the back voids the birth control warranty by way of losing the "soccer dad" image. :laugh:

Anyone ever drive in Rome? I thought Boston was bad. LOL

:wave:

Oh, Rome's easy, compared to Sicily. Just three rules to remember:

1) what's behind you is not important

2) the lines in the roads are merely suggestions, and obviously, not very good ones.

My guess is driving in India would be the ultimate challenge.

Nice van Aidan - I see you got the Roland gearstick rather than a Yamaha pitchwheel automatic.

I've gone from truck thing with a trailer to an estate with a 2nd hand BT horsebox sized trailer to ....

Toyata Yaris and a single keyboard and combo.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Nice van Aidan - I see you got the Roland gearstick rather than a Yamaha pitchwheel automatic.
LMAO :D

Just three rules to remember:

1) what's behind you is not important

2) the lines in the roads are merely suggestions, and obviously, not very good ones.

Actually, I felt this way, and that traffic lights were also merely suggestions as well, when simply trying to be a pedestrian in Rome. I swear that when drivers saw someone walking across the street they'd speed up (whether the light was RED for them or not!).

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Archived