Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QSC KW122 for keyboards?

larico

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience yet with running ther're keyboard rig thru these speakers. I know they're fairly new to the market, so I don't expect a lot of us has heard them yet.

I'm looking to replace my Mackie 450's and am considering these. It would be nice to hear from anyone on the forum who has personal use experience or heard another player using them live. And if so, what did you think of their sound.

The last band I was in had four K12's and two K-subs, so I am more than familiar with the K-series stuff. I was wondering if the new KW-series was an improvement on those as it relates to keyboards.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have. And yep, I know they're heavy in weight and dollars, but I put that second to how they sound.

Richard

Korg Triton Extreme, Roland VR-760, Roland D-50, A&H ZED 12-FX, QSC K12s

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The KW series sounds better than the K series, but not so much so that I'm willing to exchange the light weight and portability of the K series that I'm presently using.

If I was only interested in sound quality, I'd probably go with the KW's, for the warmer wood cabinet. :thu:

Hope this helps.

A few years ago, I did an outdoor July 4th gig. The sound company provided us with QSC HPR122i monitors. I had one right next to me on stage, I have never heard my rig sound so good. Warm and accurate was what I thought at the time. And really ballsy - those things cranked!.

When the last band I was in had the four K-12s in the PA, I thought it would be even better, as they were newer models. But I have to say, I thought the K-12s were not as warm and even sounding as the old HPR's. I would say that the HPR's had more of a headphone sound, which I just love. The K-12 sounded fine, but not the same impact to me personally as the HPR series. Not as smooth sounding.

That is why I am asking about the experience anyone has had with the new wood cabbed KW series as it relates to keyboards. I don't expect a lot of response, they're new, expensive, and heavy.

Just curious....Richard

I played a show several weeks ago that backlined with the KW series speakers and they sounded awesome. Love, love loved them. That said, I wouldn't want to move them every night, so they're a no go for me.

Now if I had a road crew . . . . .

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

meisenhower

Thanks for repsonding. I don't mean to drag this topic on too much. But I would like to know - what kind of keyboards and/or patches were you running thru the KW series speakers, and how did they sound? Acoustic piano patch - sound good? Organ - sound good? Any patches or keyboards that didn't sound as good thru them and you might have liked?

See, I quit lugging stuff a while ago. I dolly everything. I got to tell ya, I feel so much better before and during a gig as a result. I got sooooo tired of the endless repeated trips back and forth from the car to the stage, across parking lots, streets and sidewalks, thru the clubs, etc. So the weight thing isn't a big a deal to me. I dolly everything right to the front of the stage. From there, no big deal to set up. Tear down is the same.

So if you can elaborate to any degree, I would be interested in knowing what about the KW series you liked. Do you remember what model it was?

Richard

I was using acoustic piano (through my CP33), rhodes & clavinet (through the NE2) and Hammond Xk3/Vent.

They had a KW153 for keyboards, and 4 KW122's for stage monitoring.

The KW153 sounded really smooth and natural with the AP (which is always the most difficult to do well) and all the other sounds also shown! Nothing like a three way wooden cabinet to really make the pianos sound great. I didn't hear anything about them that I didn't like.

The 153 also sounded killer with the Xk3/Vent combo.

The down side . . . . the KW153 is big and heavy!!

The KW122 monitors sounded great also. Nothing but praise for this line, but I wouldn't move it every day.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Thanks for the info meisenhower!

Yep, the KW153 is just too big, even with a dolly, for any mobile application that I'd want to deal with. But, oh I bet they did sound nice.

The KW122 looks just about right-size. Sounds like you had a very positive experience with the KW line in general - I'm jealous! You put quite a variety of tones thru them.

I have a feeling they're gonna end up on my wish-list. Gotta hear some more first-hand reviews, save up some lunch money and audition with my stuff before I jump in. But I am dead-sure they'll sound better than my Mackies :laugh:

Thanks again...Richard

Archived