Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New gig rig!

RichieP_MechE

I've never had a nice 'pro' rig like many here at the Keyboard Corner: my rig when I joined my first and only band in high school was a Yamaha PSR 530 and a Roland KC 60. In college, I replaced the PSR with an Alesis QS6.1. When I graduated from college (2.5 years ago), my band broke up when our guitarist and bandleader moved out of state for his new job. I haven't played in a band since then.

As it turns out, my old bandmates and I decided to get back together to do a reunion gig sometime late this autumn. :rawk: I also just found out that I'll be getting a significant raise in salary at my day job! :idea: Rather than doing something like buying a motorcycle, I decided what would be a better time than now to take my new, larger paycheck and invest in an entirely brand new rig!

I've been desiring a Nord Electro ever since I learned about them on this forum many years ago. The Korg SV-1 also caught my interest when it arrived on the scene. I went to my local music store last week and tried out the Electro 3 and the SV-1. I absolutely loved the SV-1 interface (the buttons and knobs feel great!), but I need a good organ sound and the SV-1 didn't really deliver in that department. I absolutely feel in love with the Electro 3. I had a blast playing it. One thing I was worried about was the lack of an 'amount' knob for the effects, but I found that it didn't bother me at all. So I'll be heading back later this week to pick up an E3 73. :cool:

To replace the KC 60, I'm getting either a QSC K8 or K10 (which one I get depends on which fits more comfortably in the front seat of my truck!)

I had also planned on getting a 88 key weighted stage piano for a bottom board in my new setup. I was considering the PX-3, but my music store doesn't stock Casio products. They did, however, have a Yamaha P95 which I quite liked. But I'm not sure if I'm going to get one now because....

I bought a used Moog Little Phatty! :crazy::love:

I wasn't considering an analog board at all until Tony's analog thread popped up. After watching the Phatty videos in that thread, plus additional ones I looked up on youtube, I was struck by a major case of GAS. On a whim, I bid on one on ebay, and I won it! (for a reasonable price I might add). I still can't believe that I'm going to be a Moog owner! :D

So, as much as I'd like an 88-key weighted board, with the Electro 3, QSC, the Moog, and the accessories I plan on buying (Radial direct box, new pedals, stand, cases for everything, etc), I'm at the limit of what I feel comfortable spending in one big purchase. I have to make sure I keep the GAS under control when I go to get the Electro this week! :freak::laugh:

Thanks for letting me share my excitement! :taz::D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
forget the pics, let's hear it!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Haha have a blast, man! We know how money is hard to come by these days, so we should cherish whatever piece of gear we have. You sir, have fun and make music with it , we wanna hear it! :cop::thu:
"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Haha have a blast, man! We know how money is hard to come by these days, so we should cherish whatever piece of gear we have.

Amen to that. I'm very fortunate to be in an industry that is doing well despite worldwide economic woes.

You sir, have fun and make music with it , we wanna hear it! :cop::thu:

forget the pics, let's hear it!

You may regret this request, being that:

a) I've never had much in the way of chops

b) I haven't done a whole lot of playing since the breakup of my band ~2 years ago.

:laugh:

Actually, this rig is just what I need to get me pumped about practicing again!

Richie's got a HUGE case of GAS. Get down :thu:

After so many years of reading this forum and not getting any new gear, the floodgates have opened. Somebody help me! :freak::D

Rather than doing something like buying a motorcycle, I decided what would be a better time than now to take my new, larger paycheck and invest in an entirely brand new rig!

:facepalm:

Get the motorcycle... fool. :cool:

http://www.bikermatchmaking.com/harley_info/images/Brigitte-Bardot-harley.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Enjoy your new purchases. You work hard, you received a pay rise, you deserve it. I get working class guilt whenever I buy gear, thinking how I could have saved or invested it - then I remember how happy it makes me! Life's too short folks...

Nice, Richie, rock on! :rawk:

Going from one board to three? What is your stand situation? A keyboard stand is a mechanical engineering problem, afterall...

Regards,

Joe, BSME Penn State

:D

Well, at this point it's only 2 boards (electro and moog). Not going to get an 88 yet and the Alesis is probably going into the closet for a while. Right now, I'm going to get a second tier for my x-stand.

Building a custom stand is on my project list though!

:facepalm:

Get the motorcycle... fool. :cool:

:laugh:

Went and bought the Electro and K10 today - and the Moog showed up while I was at work!

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/moog+electro+qsc.jpg

Had a busy day today (hence the messy setup) so I didn't get to play with it too much. I need to update the OS on the Electro then dive into the manuals. And brush up on my subtractive synthesis.

My guitarist friend is back in town this weekend so I'll get to try it out in a band setting on Saturday!

• 2 weeks later...

What else can I say but

:thu:

I'm really glad to read that you're feeling inspired, Richie.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sweet! I do recommend that you pick up an expression pedal for the Electro. It's a great way to make your organ performances more dynamic. Plus, you can use it for the wah effect on the clav samples.

Went and bought the Electro and K10 today - and the Moog showed up while I was at work!

Congrats on the new rig, looks like loads of fun to be had! :thu:

I need to update the OS on the Electro then dive into the manuals.

While you're at it make sure to upgrade your little phatty as well. Some cool new features were added in v3.1 including legato glide (legato notes automatically glide), LFO key reset, volume key velocity and alternate tuning scales. Click here to download it.

And brush up on my subtractive synthesis.

The little phatty's interface is perfect for getting back into subtractive synthesis basics. Plus the moog manuals are top notch and always include a nice explanation about how their gear actually works (on a theoretical/scientific level). I've learned a lot about synthesis just by reading moog manuals.

Archived