Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I'm ashamed

jcadmus

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wife and I often go out on a "hot date" that involves going to Barnes & Noble, getting coffee and maybe a nosh, and reading stuff for free. This is the only time I read BP. It's perfectly fine as a magazine but usually doesn't have enough content for me personally to spend money on it.

It's perfectly fine as a magazine but usually doesn't have enough content for me personally to spend money on it.

I've been thinking that also. I didn't renew last time around, then jumped when they sent me the special deal for way less money. Will probably do the same thing this time around.

Maybe even look into Guitard magazine instead.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I didn't renew last time around, then jumped when they sent me the special deal for way less money. Will probably do the same thing this time around.

I accidentally let mine lapse, so I re-upped at the el cheapo new-subscriber rate.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

I think it is worth the money. Does it have everthing I would want? no. But I haven't found anything else close. And I like to look at the pictures as much as "read the articles".

I've found that the gear reviews have gotten lighter (though I've enjoyed some of the "related" tech articles). I'm hoping Ed's presence lifts that a bit.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

My wife and I often go out on a "hot date" that involves going to Barnes & Noble, getting coffee and maybe a nosh, and reading stuff for free. This is the only time I read BP. It's perfectly fine as a magazine but usually doesn't have enough content for me personally to spend money on it.

So, in other words, you're enjoying all the talent and hard work of the BP writers, editors, photographers, et. al., without bothering to pay them for it. How is this any different from downloading "free" (ie, stolen) music?

The newsstand price of BP is $5.99--I'm willing to bet you spend more than that on your coffee and nosh. The subscription price is less than $2 an issue. C'mon. BP does a lot to support the bass community and I think it's only fair of the bass community to support the magazine.

If it doesn't "have enough content" for you, then don't read it. Or at least borrow it at the library. At least the library paid for the subscription.

I apologize for sounding harsh, but this kind of strikes a nerve with me for some reason.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I'm willing to bet that B&N has to pay some fee in order for them to let people view it for "free".

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

So, in other words, you're enjoying all the talent and hard work of the BP writers, editors, photographers, et. al., without bothering to pay them for it. How is this any different from downloading "free" (ie, stolen) music?

Sorry to have struck a nerve. I see it as different brcause once I'm done idly flipping through the mag, I put it back on the shelf in pristine condition so somebody else can buy it. Besides, a lot of the content is on the website, too, which I also view for free. How is that different?

I'm willing to bet that B&N has to pay some fee in order for them to let people view it for "free".
Barnes & Noble has, in addition to their little cafe and tables, upholsrered armchairs all over the store for people to plop down in and read books that (gasp!) maybe they haven't paid for. I think I'm o.k. on this one.

The newsstand price of BP is $5.99--I'm willing to bet you spend more than that on your coffee and nosh. The subscription price is less than $2 an issue. C'mon. BP does a lot to support the bass community and I think it's only fair of the bass community to support the magazine.

If it doesn't "have enough content" for you, then don't read it. Or at least borrow it at the library. At least the library paid for the subscription.

I apologize for sounding harsh, but this kind of strikes a nerve with me for some reason.

I am thinking more money is made by selling advertisements than subscriptions. That is why they offer ridiculous rates on subscriptions....so they can keep getting advertising money.

You can also read the articles on the internet. Should I have to pay to go to their website and read them as well? So instead of staying home and reading them on the internet, Chad and his wife go out and patronize local businesses. It isn't stealing if it is posted on their website for the world to read.

How do you sign a computer screen?

Barnes & Noble has, in addition to their little cafe and tables, upholsrered armchairs all over the store for people to plop down in and read books that (gasp!) maybe they haven't paid for. I think I'm o.k. on this one.

Doh! for some reason I was thinking electronically...

/slaps my forehead.

I bought my wife a Color Nook some months ago and have gotten into the habit of thinking that everyone (except me) reads stuff on eReaders now.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Leave us not forget that, if B&N has the mag, BP/Miller Publishing has already been paid for it. So at that point it's B&N's property and if they invite me to sit down and have a read with no obligation to buy, I think it's o.k. I buy plenty of other stuff from them!

I apologize for sounding harsh,

Me too. But what bothers me is what in hell does "rwellsinbc" stands for? It's a pain in the ass to type out. Couldn't you change it to, like, "Bob" or something?

Leave us not forget that, if B&N has the mag, BP/Miller Publishing has already been paid for it. So at that point it's B&N's property and if they invite me to sit down and have a read with no obligation to buy, I think it's o.k. I buy plenty of other stuff from them!

That is also what I thought the score was. But I've seen employee-type people tearing off the cover of the old issues and shitcanning the rest of the magazine, which I assume to be an inventory control thing for the folks who don't want the old magazine back. How's it really work in the industry?

And FWIW, sometimes I go take a pee at McDonald's without even buying a Big Mac. Don't even try to shame me into changing that situation. That's right: Paul K don't care. Paul K is nasty.

I am thinking more money is made by selling advertisements than subscriptions.

Yup. The subscription price probably doesn't cover the cost of the ink and paper.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Me too. But what bothers me is what in hell does "rwellsinbc" stands for? It's a pain in the ass to type out. Couldn't you change it to, like, "Bob" or something?

:laugh:

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

:laugh: Sorry, you can call me Richard. I know my screen name sucks, but I've used it for so long it's sort of my default. First initial, last name, and I live in a community called Bala Cynwyd outside of Philadelphia.

I'd like to have some name here like "BassGod" or "ThunderFingers," but I've just been too lazy to come up with something new...

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

[quote=rwellsinbc :laugh: Sorry, you can call me Richard. I know my screen name sucks, but I've used it for so long it's sort of my default. First initial, last name, and I live in a community called Bala Cynwyd outside of Philadelphia.

I'd like to have some name here like "BassGod" or "ThunderFingers," but I've just been too lazy to come up with something new...

Do you have a long-lost son? We used to have a member here, BassGod Offspring. The plot thickens!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

well, to quote Michael Jackson, "the kid is not my son."

OK, there, I've changed my screen name to the prosaic but accurate Richard W.

<------

<------

Oh, man. I feel so bad now. I made someone change their name. You know I'm only serious when talking about side dots and EMG pickups, right? The rest? Not so serious.

Here you go.

Señor B.G. Thunderfingers, Esq.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j467/rwellsinbc/262331_1938909035788_1334250028_32018119_7458150_n.jpg

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Now we return you back to your original topic....

I also have been guilty of perusing magazines at bookstores without buying. Said bookstores are now mainly closed, despite the purchases I did make there over the years. It was already hard before that to find bass magazines still on the shelves.

I figured if I was going to continue with bass, I'd want to be part of the community. I love one of the UK bass mags but the US subscription price was through the roof and I couldn't justify that. BP was much less, it did have less content but still decent writing, and I really like the BPL events and wanted to support that. (Keep at least one going in LA, guys). This forum is also a great side effect.

As a side gripe, I HATE with a passion getting those stupid subscription renewal letters. You know them - "Last chance", sent in March, when my subscription ends in November. It's an insult to my intelligence (supposing I have any), it's a waste of postage and paper, and it makes me put off renewing just because I'm ticked off and don't want to give them the satisfaction. Get off my stinking lawn, jerks!!!

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

<------

Oh, man. I feel so bad now. I made someone change their name. You know I'm only serious when talking about side dots and EMG pickups, right? The rest? Not so serious.

No, I thank you for inspiring me to do what I should have done a long time ago. I must say, however, that Senor B.G. Thunderfingers, Esq. does have a nice ring to it.

As a side gripe, I HATE with a passion getting those stupid subscription renewal letters. You know them - "Last chance", sent in March, when my subscription ends in November.

Oh, +1. A long time ago my BP subscription was paid for well over four years in advance until I realized, "Oh crap. Didn't I just mail that check out a couple months ago?" I'm really glad they didn't go belly-up, 'cause then they'd have changed my subscription to something like "Harmonica Times".

Archived