Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

are fatar �Fast Touch" keys any good?

offnote

I need portable weighted controller and considering akai mpk49 and Novation Nocturn 49. I could play the akai but no chance to try Nocturn 49. Does it have also semi weighted keys like mpk?

Any advice which one is better?

thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neither of these controllers have weighted keys. I find the Akai keys unplayable on account of very stiff springs. So, I would go with the Nocturn. FYI, the keys are the same as on the Ultranova.

Given that these terms ("semi-weighted", "unweighted", etc) mean different things to different people, it would be helpful if you could let us know what "semi-weighted" keyboards you have played that you feel would fit the bill.

The Nocturn, which I own, is a very fast, lightweight, but comfortable action, but I'd never think of playing piano on it.

I'd like it to be as semi-weighted as possible to be able to play piano sounds from my laptop on the go.

If the issue is one of weight more than size, the 61-key Yamaha NP11 is under 10 lbs. It obviously doesn't feel as good as a weighted action, but If it uses the same kind of action as the NP30, it is surprisingly playable for piano. Even though it's unweighted, I found the action more conducive for piano playing than some "semi-weighted" actions. It also has its own self-contained sound and speakers, which could come in handy. But you could just connect it to your laptop via MIDI and trigger whatever piano sound you want.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Given that these terms ("semi-weighted", "unweighted", etc) mean different things to different people, it would be helpful if you could let us know what "semi-weighted" keyboards you have played that you feel would fit the bill.

The Nocturn, which I own, is a very fast, lightweight, but comfortable action, but I'd never think of playing piano on it.

from 61 keys keyboards with semi/weighted keybed I have played and I liked: motif XS/XF, kronos, M3, fantom X

What I played and disliked the action: CME U-Key, M-Audio midi controllers, roland juno keyboards.

So nocturn is not weighted at all? just a plastic with weak spring?

I guess there is some confusion with terminology.

Semi-weighted I consider just a key with stronger spring

but weighted the key with actual added weight under the key

like in motif XS. Fully weighted would be a hammer action

which comes in few flavors also.

from 61 keys keyboards with semi/weighted keybed I have played and I liked: motif XS/XF, kronos, M3, fantom X

I think of these as having "synth action." You're also not going to find a MIDI controller that has an action on par with these boards. AnotherScott's suggestion is a good one.

Besides NP11 looks like a toy.

If it's anything like the NP30, I can assure you that it's less toy-like than most of the compact controllers on the market. Regardless, I don't have any other suggestions. You're going to have to make some sort of compromise. Good luck.

"semi-weighted" usually means there is a weight attached to the key, as with Nord Electros. "Fully weighted" usually means there's a flyweight which imitates a piano hammer action.

If it's just a stronger spring, that's just ... a stronger spring.

I find I can play piano with a semi-weighted keyboard like NE (far from ideal, but I get by) whereas I had a real hard time using my Roland JX-10 synth-action keyboard (which was fine for synth parts).

Archived