Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Get Down Tonite

darc68

I need to nail down the opening KB solo to KC and Sunshines "Get Down Tonite". I don`t have a slower downer program. I`m sure many of you have had to play this song over the years. I`d appr. any help offered. Thanks in advance.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don`t have a slower downer program.

Yes you do. On Windows, Media Player has the ability to slow down playback without affecting pitch. On Mac OS, ditto for QuickTime.

On either platform, get Audacity to have even more control. Your learning time will appreciate it.

I`d appr. any help offered. Thanks in advance.

The 'solo' in question is actually a guitar track, played back at high speed, so there are some nuances there that you'll have a hard time replicating exactly. Grab Audacity, slow it down to 33%, loop it, and take it a few notes at a time. You'll eventually get it close enough to impress. :thu:

I need to nail down the opening KB solo to KC and Sunshines "Get Down Tonite".

My usual response to statements like this is . . . no, you don't. I've played the song many times and never bothered to learn the actual solo, instead just emulating it from memory. Audiences don't know this solo note-for-note. If you just come reasonably close and evoke the right vibe, they dig it. There are some keyboard solos that, arguably, should be nailed, such as on Lucky Man. But this isn't that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I need to nail down the opening KB solo to KC and Sunshines "Get Down Tonite".

My usual response to statements like this is . . . no, you don't. I've played the song many times and never bothered to learn the actual solo, instead just emulating it from memory. Audiences don't know this solo note-for-note. If you just come reasonably close and evoke the right vibe, they dig it. There are some keyboard solos that, arguably, should be nailed, such as on Lucky Man. But this isn't that.

I agree. The beginning of Get Down Tonite is more an arpeggio than a solo. It isn't melodic at all so audiences don't remember the exact notes. A run up and down the keyboard is all you need. Or get the guitar player to do it!

DRD

I played this song in a 9-piece band, and had to play the intro. I just played with a close approximation of the sound, and played total bulls**t, just played it fast.

Nobody noticed.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I do know its a guitar part originally. Are usual guitar player does play the lick however we are using a sub for the next few gigs and I`ve been asked to learn it. Apparently the KB player I replaced used to play it. I`l hae to d thebest I can. Thanks for the REs guys.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Our band plays it and I emulate the solo using a D6 clav setting. Everybody has their own way of learning songs so I'm not sure what to tell you as to what would be the best method for you to learn it. You could learn 6 to 8 notes at a time; you could slow it down with software and write out the notes; if you have a sampler you could sample it and just play it back. I would equate the latter approach to lip-syncing a song you should be singing and therefore not recommend it. I can tell you that I one time I had the solo very close but over the last year or so I've severely drifted from the original and it doesn't bother me that I no longer play it as accurately as I used to.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I agree with Sven, my understanding is that this was a sped up guitar intro, and now everyone expects us keyboard players to comp this.. I had it down for a disco band I played in about 6-7 years ago, however I have to admit it was so difficult to play that i could only play it really well about 50% of the time.. but the remainder of the time I got it close enough that it didn't really matter.. In hindsight, the really important part is the first and last riffs.. what goes on in the middle no one rembembers.. but you really have to get that last riff, it's the signature riff. get it correct including the little bends and timing, and you are golden...

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

You guys are great. I played the part last night and it was fine. I admit it wasn`t not note for note but as everyone has said, no one noticed.

The new band I`m playing with insists on everything being 100% to the originals. It`s a band that isn`t about individual talent as much as reproduction of songs.

It`s taken me awhile to get used to that mind frame again. Being someone that`s been playing in the Funk/R&B/Blues world for the past 5-10 yrs. and being known for my individual playing it`s definately been a challange.

BTW - My keyboard sticks when it`s humid. Thus the missing letters.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

I agree with Sven, my understanding is that this was a sped up guitar intro, and now everyone expects us keyboard players to comp this..

The only way I've ever done it is with a guitar player who played the part putting his guitar through a box that shifted the octave up.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If your bandmates insist on everything being "100% to the originals" than tell your guitar player to play the part!!

At my age everything sticks when it's humid...

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I agree with Sven, my understanding is that this was a sped up guitar intro, and now everyone expects us keyboard players to comp this..

I used to say that if it's not guitar, bass or drums, us keyboard guys are supposed to cover it. Now it's become if it doesn't sound like guitar, bass or drums we're supposed to cover it.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I can't believe it - some of you guys sound like it's a pain in the ass to be asked to take a showy hot fast synth lead.

I dunno - this song has come up for discussion before in here, and like I've said before I've just grabbed a clean Tele patch, bathed it in reverb, and riffed away with a lot of pitch bends not paying too much attention to the original part but trying to catch it's vibe. But to each his own I guess.

There is a riff in the middle section of the song that's kind of nice to "get down" lol.

In our arrangement, we use the horn break as the intro. We keep the arrangements simple so we cycle several short versions of KC songs into a medley. Don

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

It isn't that hard. I did with a TX-7 guitar patch with a little processing and it sounded pretty darn close.

If I can do it anyone can.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived