Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Manring as session player

Russkull

I was listening to one of my older ('96) CD's by Douglas Spotted Eagle. It's New-Age Native American music - which wouldn't normally be something I would listen to - but I do enjoy this album.

Anyway, looked at the liner notes carefully and saw that Michael Manring played on three of the tracks. I was curious at that, and even more so when I read in his biography that he was "house bassist for Windham Hill Records" (who, not surprisingly, released this CD).

I think of Manring as a solo player since that seems to be his image on YouTube and the like, but on closer examination it looks like he's fit in quite a bit of session work over the years. Guess it's just interesting that he would do that, given what (little) I know about his style of playing and how that would fit in with so many diverse groups.

Is it a case of everybody has to pay the bills, or is it that he enjoys it as much as his solo work?

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that some of it had to be enjoyment for him. I first heard of him playing on a Michael Hedges album for Windham Hill. In that case, I think it was two adventurous, creative minds coming together. This is also born out in his projects with Trip Wamsley.

Was some of it for a paycheck? Most likely. But you take your breaks when you get them. Get enough work, and the stuff you really enjoy makes it worth plugging through that which may be more tedious.

Of course, you could just ask him!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Well, I had an acoustic singer-songwriter friend for whom Michael played some pro bono sessions around that same time. Very generous of him. He liked her songs so much, and she was poor. :-)

For privacy reasons, that's all I'll say, as it's probably inside information to some degree and wasn't meant to set a precedent. :-) But Michael is a great person. A co-worker has put together some bass showcases in the SF Bay Area with him as well. He always acts gracious.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

He got to pay the bills!

I love his solo work, but haven't really checked into his session work. I need to rectify that.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

But Michael is a great person. A co-worker has put together some bass showcases in the SF Bay Area with him as well. He always acts gracious.

That was always my impression of him but it's nice to hear about it first hand.

Of course, you could just ask him!

The thought actually crossed my mind but I'm not exactly on a first name basis with him. :)

Maybe if he shows up to BPL sometime I'll get a chance.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Archived