Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played an XK1 thru a Leslie this weekend

Jim Alfredson

At the Edmonton Folk Festival this weekend I played an XK1 through a Leslie 145 on two shows (along with a Motif ES8).

It was a fun rig! The pedal preamp (standard Trek model) allowed me to dial in some nice grunge via overdriving the 145's input and the XK1 sounded great. I really like the keybed, too.

Just thought I'd share.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are 1000 times more the expert than me but i have to say that the XK1 and the XK3c have the best feel of keys of any of the waterfall keys clones i've played . Most of the waterfall keybeds seem to be made by fatar and are a little too springy and the trigger point is too low. The XK1's trigger point on the high setting is a little lower than the XK3c but still has a very fast action. The XK3c on the high setting is so sensitive and fast that i have to clean up my technique or i can cause notes to sound just by lightly resting on the keys.

FunMachine.

A friend brought his XK-1 to one of our old jams we used to host. I unplugged my NE2 from the (1)45 rig and set the XK-1 in its place and had a go at it after he was done sitting in. It was a much better organ running away. Great little clonewheel, that. Better chorus snarl, perc bite up the yingyang...made the Nord sound pudgy and murky. Better action than my red thing, too.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

At the Edmonton Folk Festival this weekend I played an XK1 through a Leslie 145 on two shows (along with a Motif ES8).

It was a fun rig! The pedal preamp (standard Trek model) allowed me to dial in some nice grunge via overdriving the 145's input and the XK1 sounded great. I really like the keybed, too.

Just thought I'd share.

B3-er,

What are your thoughts when compairing the actions between the XK-1 and the SK-1?

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Tony Monaco, playing "The way you look tonight" using the XK1 + 2101mk2.

[video:youtube]

'nuff said!

Yeah, well there is that whole Tony Monaco playing it going on that really helps too!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

The pedal preamp (standard Trek model) allowed me to dial in some nice grunge via overdriving the 145's input and the XK1 sounded great.

Interesting; I thought I'd read elsewhere that the Trek preamps sucked tone. That's cool that it worked out for you!

Stuff and things.

"Volume is tone." Edward Van Halen. ( when asked why his guitar didn't have a tone knob)

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

B3-er,

What are your thoughts when compairing the actions between the XK-1 and the SK-1?

I believe they are the same action/mechanism.

Interesting; I thought I'd read elsewhere that the Trek preamps sucked tone. That's cool that it worked out for you!

I've never heard that nor experienced it.

Volume=tone in electric guitars (as Van Halen plays) is because the usually passive controls in a guitar work that way: the volume control with the cable impedance and input impedance *actually* changes tone, even in a way comparable to the usual tone control.

In an organ probably this is true as well, long ago I made my own volume control pedal which I designed not to do that (much) at the time but unless the electronics are a like a mixer design with OpAmp type of signal path, all volume controls will slightly affect tone when the technology isn't fast (like old organs) and almost always influence transient behaviour to a fair extend.

I suppose the Better Guitarists will also understand the loudness matter involved: when going from playing a nice living room 70dB to 105 dB, the mid versus low and high frequency ratios must change to reflect effects of Loudness Curve. Good instruments intelligently work in that department.

The keys on the XK-3c extend 2" under the cover. There is a picture here:

Click on brochure and select B3 Classic.

The picture of the keys is on the second page of the brochure. The XK-3 and '3c use the same keybed as the New B3 minus the 9 contact hardware. While not quite as long as the keys in a traditional B3 they do move the pivot point back so the arc of the key travel is a little flatter.

The keys on the XK-1 are standard Synth keys that end right at the cover.

You were transferred to our mobile website because your device currently has no support for Silverlight...

You can click on the Silverlight-logo on the right to download the latest Silverlight-plugin.

http://images.memegenerator.net/images/160x160/626279.jpg

You were transferred to our mobile website because your device currently has no support for Silverlight...

You can click on the Silverlight-logo on the right to download the latest Silverlight-plugin.

Yeah, no thanks. :wave:

Sorry. They changed the website some time ago and now it seems to require this Silverlight stuff. The brochure used to be available on another website too but I can't find it.

Try this one:

New B3 Brochure

Archived