Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing through a computer

fingertalkin

Is there a device out there that I can hook up to the computer and play the bass over mp3's? Kind of like the Tascam Bass Trainer but through the computer.

I have found things like the M-Audio Fast track but that is only half of what I am looking for.

I guess it may be cheaper just to buy a smallish practice amp. I am not playing that much but still like to noodle....there may come a time when I can play out again.

How do you sign a computer screen?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MR. C-that is what I was thinking but it really wasn't for practicing other than with headphones on and possibly some light recording. Only playback of recordings would go through the speakers.

I was looking into getting some instrument software and just doing some light creating/composing. Nothing crazy...just a little drum beat, throw my own bass on it and use some chords to put on top.

EPB-I have had The CD Tascam and thought about the mp3 version but it doesn't do what I described above and didn't put in the original post.

Rwells-I do that too....when I have an amp.

EPB-I have had The CD Tascam and thought about the mp3 version but it doesn't do what I described above and didn't put in the original post.

True. But with the newest Tascam MP3 version you can put in a memory card (the first MP3 version had a built-in memory of 2GB). The only hassle would be in getting your MP3's on said card first. I have an 8Gb card plugged in mine and use it all the time.

That said, there is software out there that works similar to the Tascam stuff. I just don't know what it is called so I am not really very useful in this here thread :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I have a several inputs into my PC. On the front, I have a 1/4" auxiliary jack that I can plug into with a separate volume control. Plus it doesn't hurt that I have a set of Logitech Z-5500 for computer speakers. Those things are awesome and can handle tons of bass and highs without distorting.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I don't have the z-5500's but I do have the z-4's which sound good. I think I am going to download this software called Mixcraft 5. It seems to be the PC version of Garageband. I think with that and some audio interface, I will be able to accomplish what I want to do.

At least I can try it for free before buying.

Yeah, why not use an ipod or tiny practice amp? I've been using a little 4" speaker amp for years that I bought for $50.

I no longer practice to cd's or the radio. I go on youtube and can play along with everything ever recorded. Pretty incredible.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

To hijack the thread a little....

Does anyone know of Windows software that will provide some EQ for YouTube output?

I normally play along to CDs or downloads via iTunes. Both iTunes and Media player have EQ functions that allow me to drop most of the bass frequencies right out of the mix. I run this ouput through my Pandora and it leaves me space to play along without competing with the recorded bass.

It would be good to have the same functionality with YouTube or Spotify.

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Do a search for USB guitar interface. There are hundreds on the market from $20 to $200.

If you have a soundcard (most PCs do) you can just plug your bass into the mic input with a 1/4" to 1/8" lead. Not ideal but it works.

Playing your bass through ordinary speakers is OK as long as you listen for distortion and don't push them too hard.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

The bonus of using a computer is recording yourself. Good for remembering ideas that come freely and are worth exploring, good to see your mistakes on microscope and finding out weak spots.

Software can range from $0, like Audacity or GarageBand (if you have a Mac).

If you want to multitrack it will be useful to have a direct monitor, otherwise there are cheap USB interfaces around. I also have bought a USB pitch to midi converter that doubles as a USB interface and is really small, the I2M from Moduus. Playing a bass through a flute patch is fun.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Here are a couple non computer and computer based solutions.

1. Ampuplugnplay Next Generation Mini Portable Amplifier...$29.99

A mini guitar amp that's battery powered and plugs directly into your guitar. Now features an MP3 input, headphone jack and a two position switch for both clean and overdrive sounds - Non-Computer solution.

2. Rocktron has a 10W of power bass practice amp with a mini jack input so you can blend your bass signal and an external device (cd player, mp3 player)...$69.00 (USD) - Non-Computer solution.

Getting a USB sound card with a guitar input has never been easier and you can do it without breaking the bank. the problem is drivers and software extras. Luckily...there are so many choices now. Here are the hardware solutions:

3. ESI UGM96 Guitar and Mic USB Audio Adapter...$99 (USD

4.IK Multimedia StealthPlug Guitar/Bass USB Audio Interface Cable + AmpliTube 2 Live Software...$79 (USD)

5. Avid Recording Studio with PT SE USB Input Device for Guitar/Microphone $96 to $100 (PRO TOOLS ON THE CHEAP!!)

Tascam, Roland, Lexicon also have USB audio interfaces for under $100 (USD) as well.

I use Ableton Live and you can do this with any of the "Live Lite" CD's that come with some of these interfaces.

Set Track 1 to external input, Mono (audio interface - ch 1).

In Track 2, Drag an MP3/WAV/AIFF for playback.

Next, into track 2, a filter effect, or EQ, to remove frequencies. That will allow you to either remove Bass, so you can play along, or remove Mids and Highs so you can learn Bass parts.

Live allows you to slow down, via the BPM transport, to learn tracks. I save this as a template so that when I'm learning or playing along tracks, Track 1 is set up for me to plug in and track 2 to drag tracks in and out.

Reaper, a nice free DAW, has similar functionality but the learning curve is a bit steeper.

As others have said, a simple USB interface will work. There are many options out there in a wide price range. I actually use a Tube Preamp into a PCI Sound card (M-Audio Delta-44), but I also have a couple of types of USB interfaces that I can use if I want too as well (Line6 Bass POD Live & Line6 Tone Port).

As far as software goes, I highly recommend Transcribe! from Seventh String Software. It's a great little program that I use all the time. Learning new songs by ear has never been so easy as this application makes it. One of my best purchases ever, considering how much I use it.

http://www.seventhstring.com/

I should mention I also own a Tascam Bass Trainer II that uses CD's that I've had for about 5 years now. It is quite good, but not nearly as good as using Transcribe, in my opinion.

I normally use Headphones when practicing, but my PC does route to my Studio Monitors too, so I occasionally use them instead, though not too often. I actually prefer practicing with headphones now. I can hear everything so clearly in them.

I've been using a USB interface (Edirol UA-EX25) and playing through my computer for the last 5 years. I have a really good set of headphones and I use logic on an macbook pro. This means you can add effects to your playing, record, play along with any files on your pc ie youtube mp3s etc.

It's been great for me.

Cheers

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

For me, I haven't really seen the need to play through the computer. That's just me. I have done the following:

0) Play music on computer speakers while playing bass through amp (GenzBenz Shuttle 3)

1) Music from computer into Tascam CD guitar trainer (I jumped in before the bass model) - out to headphones. I've used CDs for input - rarely.

Gave Tascam to my drummer who plays keys and needed to practice at night at home.

2) Music from computer into GenzBenz Shuttle 3, headphone out. Music in is mono, and so I loose an input channel. yuck

3) I have an iPhone, so I bought the iRig. It is a cable that has a 1/4 input jack on one end and a 4-connector that you plug into the phone. There is also an output jack that you can plug in headphones or feed an amp/speakers. Great for traveling (which I do). The software that comes with it is so-so, but has a few effects pedals that are fun. I spent the $30 for the upgraded software which helped a bit. Very convenient.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived