Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Jupiter 80 Day

Devnor

What can I tell you that you don't already know? The boot time is 15 seconds. From playing around with tonewheel presets I'm fairly sure my Hammond XK3C isn't going anywhere. I'm looking into the C/V & overdriven sounds of the Jupiter. Hoping to do a blind test in the future. Other than that it feels & sounds like a synthesizer and that's been a long time coming. If you wanna know anything just ask.

By the way thanks Keyboard Magazine. I saw it there first.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k619/sca964/jupiter.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My bandleader who just bought a Kurzweil PC3 for a do-it-all keyboard is now considering one of these instead. He thinks it might be more "performance" friendly. How are the basic sounds (acoustic piano, EPs, strings, etc.)?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Nice!! Congrats! Looking forward to some demos too, let's hear it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

My bandleader who just bought a Kurzweil PC3 for a do-it-all keyboard is now considering one of these instead. He thinks it might be more "performance" friendly. How are the basic sounds (acoustic piano, EPs, strings, etc.)?

Perhaps I'm out of line here, but your bandleader is vicariously annoying, as he vicariously uses you to use us to inform him about his keyboard options. He should just end all this vicariousness and log on here. Feel free to be offended on his behalf!

I've been kind of obsessing about the J80, and have given it several auditions at the GC down the street from me, because I also think it might be more performance friendly. But I think in the end that's going to be a personal choice . . . some may find it is, some not. The use of "tones," "live sets," and "registrations" will seem intuitive and appealing to some, but to others it might seem foreign and cumbersome to others, and I suspect which is which will depend on exactly what you want to be doing while playing live. I think I quite like it, but it is DIFFERENT, and some people might just be put off by that.

It is also a keyboard that is very strong in some areas but not so much in others, and so is perhaps something of a dark horse candidate for someone who is looking for a do-everything keyboard.

For people who want to create their own synth sounds with something appoximating that Jupiter 8 glossy, airy vibe, and who might not have the time or patience to learn the Kurzweild VAST system, the Jupiter 80 might be a better choice than the Kurzweil. All the other sounds (piano, ep, orchestral) can, at the very least, give the PC3 a run for the money.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Perhaps I'm out of line here, but your bandleader is vicariously annoying, as he vicariously uses you to use us to inform him about his keyboard options. He should just end all this vicariousness and log on here...

Out of line or not, I gotta admit I was kinda thinkin' the same thing! Not that there's anything wrong with askin' for advice, it's just that this enigmatic bandleader seems to have unrealistic expectations and second guesses all of the advice he's being given anyway. So what's the point?

But back on topic, can't wait to hear some in-depth impressions and/or sound demos! I've been having a hard time wrapping my head around exactly what the Jupiter is capable of and what it's identity is. Good to know one of the forumites got his hands on one.

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

Perhaps I'm out of line here, but your bandleader is vicariously annoying, as he vicariously uses you to use us to inform him about his keyboard options. He should just end all this vicariousness and log on here...

Out of line or not, I gotta admit I was kinda thinkin' the same thing!

+1

I felt a metaphorical palm hit my face as I read that.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Could MOTU's Volta app help improve the pseudo-analog experience? I haven't really looked into that plug very deeply. My recollection though is that it is meant to interface with true vintage gear vs. interfacing with modern gear as though you were doing true C/V?

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Roland deserves credit for breaking up the combi and creating registration mode. I see it as 4 separate synths and as we know 2 of those can consist of 4 tones. Each one retains its FX and controller settings. You can easily swap your sounds between the upper/lower and perc/solo sections with all controllers intact. Typical reaction is "well keyboard X has 16 or 32!". This true but say you're in the process of creating something and want to change your right hand part. How many parameters will you need to adjust? In my experience by the time I've got my old workstation keyboard setup the inspiration is gone.

Lets take that same idea to the stage. I constantly hear its too difficult to quickly call up parts live. Say you are happily sitting in a big synthy wash when you gotta have piano sound right now. You touch upper and then you touch the gummy bear piano button. You've pre-programmed your favorite piano sound ...your edited piano sound btw SOS magazine. There is a giant row of buttons right above the keyboard and the *alternate* setting which adds even more favorites. Now that I think about it just touching the gummy bear would switch the live set to the new sound that was needed instantly.

If you ask me I think most high end keyboards sound incredible and once youre past the f'n presets and preconceived notions of doing things most anything is possible. Roland needs to work on their tonewheel organ....I think the leslie sounds okay (once I programmed it to Hammond settings) but for anything other than pure non-overdriven - no C/V sounds forget it. You wont be playing any Winwood or Lord organ parts on the 80. EPs are a little weak but maybe if they add series FX as hinted by someone that might do the trick. Registration mode truly "changes the game" in which I've been used to juggling my sounds & resources for years.

Again big thanks to Keyboard mag. You guys were the only media that got it.

Come on guys, your being too hard on my bandleader. He really doesn't have time to log on here and post questions, you guys would probably just flame him anyway! Keyboard is my main instrument (I just happen to play bass in this band), and I like finding out about these new products even though there's no way I can afford them!

So how is the acoustic piano? :laugh:

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

It's the Roland supernatural piano that you can hear on the 700NX or 300NX. I can't confirm that it's exactly the same, but to my ears it sounds the same. I wouldn't take it over Kronos or Yamaha CP, but I would take it over the PC3 pianos.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived