Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie 45 (was Lowrey LSC)

Joe Muscara

I doubt this organ is worth anything, but maybe someone here knows. Perhaps it's good for parts, like those half moons? It also has an expression-type pedal. Maybe it would be compatible with a Hammond or a clone?

(In case you're wondering, someone put this out for tomorrow's heavy trash and it's on its side.)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6126/6021651087_20bd08be14.jpg

Lowery Organ by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6147/6021649775_ea8644cb90.jpg

Untitled by Joe Stone Zone, on Flickr

See my post below about the other gear salvaged.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what's a Leslie 45 worth? My preliminary info says it was a single speed model. Guy said he thought it smoked (literally) the time he tried it so he shut it off and never did anything else with it. I have not had the back off to see if anything looks burned, and I don't have any connectors for it.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The cab and parts are worth something. Certainly could be rebuilt into something special if your up to it. The fact that he smoked it should give you the opportunity to grab it cheap.

A preamp with speed switching might cost you a few hundred, and repairing the 45 might cost you a few hundred more. So, if you going to keep it, make sure you want it. But the cab (if decent) and the working parts inside could certainly be resold pretty easily.

BTW, I'm guessing on the prices. YMMV.

I got it for next to nothing (a mutual friend across the street from him grabbed it first because he wanted the cabinet. He was willing to give it to me for $5, which he owed the original guy for something else).

Now I'm wondering what I can do with it and if it will be worth it. I guess I need to do some research. If you can point me in any direction, that would be helpful. I've never owned a Leslie at all before, just facsimiles.

Oh yeah? I know nothing about them. Edumacate me. :)

P.S. I did get the two half moons and the pedal, though I don't know if that's useful. I wish I had gotten the six-pin cable before someone else salvaged the metal and wire from the organ.

Oh yeah? I know nothing about them. Edumacate me. :)
Well, I'm not a fan of chorale in most situations. I like the really dry, really straight stop sound. It makes the C/V more dramatic when you turn it on, and then when you go to tremolo, it's that much more of a change. You can always unplug the power to the chorale motors on a 2 speed Leslie of course. Regardless, I just prefer that stop sound, particularly when you have a good bit of grind going from the tubes. Makes it real easy to get into some ignant shit.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

A Leslie 45 is one speed. One luver in the top of the cabinet. I would say $200-$400 range

Model 45

Cabinet: Wood

Dimensions: 33" x 28" x 21"

Rotors: 2 Bass/Treble

Amplifiers: Tube 40 watt w/ 6550 finals

Speeds: Fast-Stop

Speakers: O,P

Belts: A,B

Motor-fast: 1

Motor-slow: none

Notes: Early 45

Hookup: 6B

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I love Leslie 45's... Have two of them in Fruitwood to match my Fruitwood 61 B3. They are built much better than the 145's with heavier wood and they sound fantastic! I installed Trek 2 speed converters on both and they sound fantastic!
'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

Thanks Kevin, I get what you're saying. Hopefully I can get this beast working and hooked up to something and make some interesting sounds.

CK - he wasn't selling, he was throwing this stuff out. The Lowrey (see pics above) and the Leslie. The Lowrey was on the curb when I spotted it. The mutual friend had taken the Leslie directly from the guy's garage to his own garage because he liked the cabinet. He gave it to me for a few bucks, but he didn't really care.

The original disposer is selling some Pearl drum kit for < $200 if you're interested. ;)

Leslies are increasingly rare to come by.
This one almost got stripped out and would have been kept just for the cabinet.

Nice find. Glad you kept digging.

You might consider sending DanL a PM, as I think he's got a Speakeasy Pre with 145 output that he is no longer using.

Might be more than you want to spend, but it's a sweet pre with speed switching.

I can't speak for the louvers. AFAIK, this Lowrey/Leslie combo belonged to the guy's aunt and she gave it to him some years ago.

From what I'm gathering, this model paired with the Lowrey LSC used an amplifier in the organ. I have no idea if that amp could have been used outside of the organ, but it's gone now anyway.

I guess I need an amp, a pre to connect to it with whatever sound source I'm going to use. I'll contact DanL and look at Trek as well. Where would I get an amp? Trek or Speakeasy?

Tony, what do you mean by second rotor?

Excuse the 2nd rotor comment: that last picture hadnt loaded, so I thought it was just a straight speaker. You are even closer to the finish line! Youre in TX as I remember (Austin maybe?), there should be half a dozen organ techs in your neck of the woods: theyll have what you need. Having used a bunch of different pres (the Trek, Hamptone, Speakeasy), I will say that the Speakeasy does kick, and even if you buy it used somewhere else, for the price of shipping, Steve will bring you up to current spec (if its not noisy, dont sweat it).
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Ah, okay. That explains my confusion about the rotor.

I'm in Houston, but I'm sure there are techs here too. I probably need to hit up some contacts and see who is recommended.

:)

I already have a call into Benton Electronics. He posts a lot at organforum.com which I discovered today searching for info on the Leslie 45.

Archived