Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3 tier keyboard stand solutions?

Tonysounds

Im toying with different rig combinations. Anybody have any ideas on setting up a 3-keyboard rig in a Non-L shape? Nord Stage 2, Sk1, and likely an Xp80 (or an S90es)? I presently own a couple Invisible Stands, and one of those K&M 18950 Keyboard Stands

Of course I dont want to obscure the control surfaces of any of the boards, and I dont want to obscure myself, and going L may be my only choice in the long run, but Im interested in how you would do it.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K&M 18880 with the 18881 and 18882 stackers

You can get the boards quite close to each other, especially if you use the stackers not quite exactly as intended, which I have a feeling you're adept at ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You can get the boards quite close to each other, especially if you use the stackers not quite exactly as intended, which I have a feeling you're adept at ;-)

I know about the stackers, but I do get them to support 2 keyboards? The stand only has orifi for one set of stackers.

I think you should try your 18950 in front of your Invisible Stand.

Do you want them all flat? Or do you want tilted tiers?

Using both of the stands you already have would be:

A: no more $$$

B: Non-L shaped

C: Won't obscure you or any of your controls.

D: Give you the option of an L shape on bigger stages.

Thought the stackers conected to the stackers so if you wanted you could have 35 sets of stackers if you wanted. Somewhere here I saw a picture of a 3 keyboard setup on that K&M setup.

I just wish the stand was deep enough for a 27" deep XK-Pro system.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

KS7365-EJPro Heavy-Duty Folding-Z w/ 2nd Tier

and..

KSA7500Universal 2nd Tier

The two bottom tiers can hold a tank, and are super stable. The top tier (third) is also super strong...but.... if you put a heavy board on it this stand becomes top heavy.

I really dig this configuration for my:

1. lower: Hammond XK3C (upper/lower manuals

2. middle: Yamaha Motif ES 6

3. top: Moog Voyager

(and other configurations as well.. )

works great.

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/assets/product_images/800-600/29886_KS7365-EJ_OSS_main.png

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/assets/product_images/800-600/34047_KSA7500_OSS_main.png

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I know about the stackers, but I do get them to support 2 keyboards? The stand only has orifi for one set of stackers.

The 18882 stacker goes into the 18880 stand. It has "pass through" openings so you can then put a 18881 (or another 18882) on top of that.

Whatever stacker you use on top can be flipped backwards, to get the Invisible Stand support-from-the-rear top tier effect. However, if you do that with a 18882, the pass-through stalks may need to be hacksawed off; if you do it with a 18881, the little stop pegs at the end may need to come off.

Also, the stand is not really designed for rear weight, so if you flip the top tier backwards, make sure you put a board on the bottom tier before putting the board on the top tier, to anchor it.

You can also get the boards closer by drilling more holes in the stackers to allow them to lock into lower positions. Or do what I did and ignore the holes completely and just let the stackers drop in as far as they will go. (A little more creative modification can probably get them even closer than that.)

edit: also, compared to the solution in the previous message, the K&M setup weighs next to nothing, and easily collapses/reassembles in a few seconds, and movies entirely in one piece, you don't have to remove anything when you collapse and move it. (Though if you flip the top tier backwards, it may be convenient to flip them back for transport, to take up less space.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think you should try your 18950 in front of your Invisible Stand.

Do you want them all flat? Or do you want tilted tiers?

Using both of the stands you already have would be:

A: no more $$$

B: Non-L shaped

C: Won't obscure you or any of your controls.

D: Give you the option of an L shape on bigger stages.

The problem with this solution is the Invisible tiers like half a clothes hangar, so its not just a tier arm jutting out, but the tier has a bottom that prevents you from getting the K&M too close; therefore the keyboards on the Invisible stand end up pretty far away. Its worth a try anyway when I get home, but I predict itll be difficult and unsatisfactory.

Ill look closer at the double Stacker solution. It wouldnt work with the S90es (the keyboard is too large to make even a 2 tier comfortable), but it might be functional with the Stage 2 as the main unit.

Of course in the end, Ill probably just do some judicious programming and keep it a two keyboard solution until stages permit an L shape. then bring 4 boards.

:facepalm:

and..

The two bottom tiers can hold a tank, and are super stable. The top tier (third) is also super strong...but.... if you put a heavy board on it this stand becomes top heavy.

works great.

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/assets/product_images/800-600/29886_KS7365-EJ_OSS_main.png

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/assets/product_images/800-600/34047_KSA7500_OSS_main.png

How long does it take to set that stand up. It looks like there is a lot to it.

How much does the XK Pro stick out in front? I am thinking about Sven's WS550 setup but the top tier on your stand looks like I could put my MP5 level and super close to the XK.

Thanks for posting that.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

and..

works great.

How long does it take to set that stand up. It looks like there is a lot to it.

How much does the XK Pro stick out in front? I am thinking about Sven's WS550 setup but the top tier on your stand looks like I could put my MP5 level and super close to the XK.

Thanks for posting that.

1.I have color-coordinated the parts (using colored non-marring electrical tape) and setting it up (from it's bag to stacking boards) is about 2-3 minutes. thereabouts.

2. I can seat the XK3c (with lower) all of the way to the back with minimal cabling issues. I am not sitting in front of it right now but it might stick out a couple of inches. Very secure placement.

3. One can have the second tier practically right on the lower tier, and flat. or can adjust to taste. Very flexable and super secure.

HTH

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Would a 3-tier Standtastic stand work?

I used one for years, and it was a really great solution. Lots of horizontal room to leave control surfaces free.

The downside is that the footprint of the stand itself is fairly deep, so it still takes up quite a bit of stage room. But certainly less than an L configuration.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I've been using the same Quick-Lok Z726-L 3-tier setup for 15 years, and its lived through at least 750 shows. I had to get one tier arm re-welded once about 5 years ago after dropping it from a truck, but it's been a tank. It sets up easily, without having to reset any heights, etc. I also have a built-on mic-boom.

At the time, quick-lok had a third-tier option. I think nowadays some of the part numbers are different, but they can still piece together everything needed. Just talk to a Quick-lok rep or their support folks for what you need.

267359_1439190397355_1760881204_706891_7295706_n.jpg

250710_1400364586734_1760881204_678982_4659347_n.jpg

Archived