Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DCM1000 & Pod X3 Pro, amp clips at low volumes - Bass Guitar

Kered45

Good Afternoon Line6 Comunnity,

I just recently purchaced a Pod X3 Pro and a Carvin DCM1000 Poweramp (1000watts bridged). I play Bass guitar for a heavy rock band (fromthisfire.com)

Im not sure I have the setting right.

Yamaha TRB5f Bass >

Pod X3 Pro (Duel Tone) (xlr out's or 1/4 (-6db) out) >

Carvin Poweramp Channel 1 > Carvin NEO 2x10 Cab

Carvin Poweramp Channel 2 > Carvin NEO 4x10 Cab

Im trying to Bi-amp one channel clean and the other channel dirty. 500watts per channel, right?

I dont think im getting enough volume out of this rig. Its loud enought for practice but the poweramp is about to clip like crazy if I turn it up anymore and when it does it the sound turns off to save the speakers. This isnt enough power for a live gig, where is all the 500watts going?

Once I find a decent tone for the clean channel and I start to give it some real volume the power amp starts to get into the cliping range and its not enough volume to really gig with. Is my power amp not as powerful as I though or do I have something not hooked up right and setting wrong?

I do have the settings set to poweramp "Stck PwrAmp"

I used to play through the Carvin BX500 and it was enough power for live show and still had enough headroom to produce more volume.

Thinking that this setup has potentionaly 1000watts bridged - 500watts per channel it should have a lot more headroom and punch.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Derek

Derek@fromthisfire.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, where to start...

Ok, first, it sounds like your running clean through on amp channel to one cabinet, and dirty to the other? Why? Clean or dirty, use all your power and all your speakers for each. Bi-amp usually means you crossover - like lows to a 15" and highs to a 2x10 or something, but clean or dirty, all the power goes to all the speakers.

Next, what the hell kind of live shows are you doing? Do you have FOH PA? Is this rig just for personal monitoring, or is it it? What venue's? How many people? What is the rest of the band using?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hey 80s-LZ,

I understand what you are saying, I was trying to bi-amp cause usually when I use my dirty effect on the over all bass sound I loose my punchy bottom end, the effect takes some of that away.

As far as shows usually play bigger places, 500-1000 or more people type venues. Guitar players are pretty loud, EVH 5150, Marshall Stack, heavy hitting drummer. I'm just trying to compete with the rest of the guys. I used to do ok with my last amp so I upgraded my power and it seams to not be powerful enough. We are a heavy rock band so kinda needs to be loud. Im not talking ear damaging loud I just need to be hear through the rock-ness of the guitars. I was thinking 500watts per channel would be plenty but its kinda weak.

Thanks Dan

The DCM1000 is 1000w bridged mono into a 4 ohm load. The way you're running it, it's only putting 325w into each cabinet.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hummmm......I was kinda hoping it was at least 500 per channel. The diagram on the manual says "2ohms per channel" and it has a picture of the amp with 4ohm cabs plugged into it which made me think 500watts. Hummm.... I guess back to the drawing board.

Thanks Dan

Hummmm......I was kinda hoping it was at least 500 per channel. The diagram on the manual says "2ohms per channel" and it has a picture of the amp with 4ohm cabs plugged into it which made me think 500watts. Hummm.... I guess back to the drawing board.

Thanks Dan

It's 500w per channel into 2ohms, but those are 4ohm cabinets. It's only 325w per channel at 4ohms. Bridged, it will only handle down to 4 ohms, and putting those 2 cabinets together would get you down to 2 ohms, which it couldn't handle. But I bet it would do pretty well bridged into just the 4x10.

Dan

I think Im getting the idea here, after studying the manual for a while, I think its saying:

1000watts - Bridged with 2 or more 4ohms cabs(daisy chained)

325watts per channel if you have one 4ohm cab per channel

500watts if you have 2 4ohm cabs daisy chained together (This is where the 500watts comes in, 2 4ohms cabs Im quessing = 2ohms for this amp =ing the 500watts)

2 4ohm cabs daisy chained together for 500watts and one 8ohms cab at 200watts.

I think im getting the idea. If im wrong let me know. The manual shows 2 4ohms cabs together =ing 2ohms so im going to try it tonight at practice and I will report back. If this is true.

Thanks Dan

Thank you so much!

Yes - except you can't do 2ohms bridged. The amp can only handle a min of 4 ohms. You could do two 8 ohm cabinets (4 ohm) bridged. So your options with what you have are 2 channels with 325w into each, run both cabinets off one channel for 500w (250w into each), or bridge mono 1000w into the 4x10 (the 2x10 won't handle 1000w).

I'd start out with the latter and see how it does. If you want to add the 2x10, you can add a 2nd amp.

Dan

Oh, and I would think you could modify that dirty effect to get your low end in there without having to run a second clean channel to beef it up. It's been a while since I messed with one, but in that pod, they have different amp and speaker models that are used for the dirty effect. The manual lists them out and tells how to change them. I would guess there's a speaker cabinet model in there that's resulting in the loss of your low end. Try removing the cabinet model (I think they call it A.I.R. or something - there used to be a dedicated switch to turn it on/off), or switch to something like a 15" model.

Dan

It could blow the amp. It probably has some protection circuitry that would shut it down, but I wouldn't risk it.

Dan

OK. Those cab's. They 4 or 8 ohm? Carvin has both.

The Neo's are both 4 ohm

CLONK

Dan

Pro series only comes in 4 ohm, but the BR series comes in neo or regular magnet, and each in 4 or 8 ohm.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/basscabinets.php

When he called them Neo 2x10 and 4x10, I assumed it was pro series and not BR, just by the model names, but maybe I assumed wrong.

Dan

Archived