Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great American Composer: Frank Zappa

AnonymousInvent

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better believe it! :thu:

I'm still kicking myself for missing Zappa Plays Zappa 18 months ago, after buying tix then realizing it was during a weekend of a booked out-of-town trip.

I'm into pretty much everything of his, save for some of the 80s stuff which is a little too cheesy for me. I do love his orchestral stuff, including Dog Breath/Uncle Meat. Probably my favorite compositions of his are his guitar solos.

Guy hired some absolutely fantastic keyboard players, too ... Tommy Mars, George Duke, just to name a couple of favorites.

Long Live Frank Zappa.

As i've said before, Zappa was an alien, an extra-terrestrial being that we should all be proud of for having him here on earth. :D

Griffy, i saw ZpZ a few years back in the Progressive nation tour, AMAZING! I didn't really know his son was that good, the kid can kick some butt.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

This Monday night in Buffalo (as in tomorrow), Zappa Plays Zappa opens for...wait for it...Return to Forever 4. It's an hour drive each way and I'm just to overloaded from the Newport Jazz Festival and 1000 miles of driving over a weekend. Otherwise, I would be all over it. Actually would be more interested in ZPZ than RTF.

I saw Dweezil's dad several times over 10 years starting with the Zappa in NY band and ending with the '89 tour. Deeply profound musical experiences, each one.

I'm going to see Zappa Plays Zappa and RTF 4 in Tampa in Sept. I've not really kept up with Dweezil. I'm looking forward to it.

Whoaaa, I'm in orlando, i didn't know about that show, now i'll probably go. *looking at ticketmaster*

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I saw Zappa live in the late seventies (early eighties? Can't remember). It was ABSURD, it every good sense of the term.

They basically played contemporary music, but with a rock energy and groove. Lots of humour too. The sound was *perfect*, like a big hi-fi system - and the place had mediocre acoustics, so they must have operated some magic with eq and stuff.

Basically, I stayed there with my mouth open for the whole time. They played so good and so together all those incredible charts, I remember to have thought, "this is better than Gentle Giant!" which was about my favorite rock group back then.

Favorite Zappa albums: Hot Rats, Overnite Sensations, Make a Jazz Noise Here, Jazz from Hell, The Yellow Shark.... too many to mention.

Unfortunately, I've lost all my Zappa LPs. I have a few CDs - too few.

Love Zappa!

Saw him in the 70s and then again in the 80s, and the shows were simply amazing!

I'll be seeing Zappa Plays Zappa and RTF IV also on August 19th and CAN'T wait!

"we could jam in Joe's Garage . . . . his mama would say . . . TURN IT DOWN . . . ."

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

The sound was *perfect*, like a big hi-fi system - and the place had mediocre acoustics, so they must have operated some magic with eq and stuff.

I remember the great sound at those shows, too, at venues primarily used for hockey. With so much ink on the pages and the rapid fire lyrics, anything less than pristine audio would make a Zappa concert an unlistenable mess. It's too bad all sound reinforcement doesn't sound as good today.

Dog Breath Variations/Uncle Meat with Peter Rundel conducting the Ensemble Modern. A part of Mr. Zappa's music that is often not known or ignored. Any Zappa fans out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr3y2MUdq7U

Played (on violin) several of these actual charts from The Yellow Shark. Surprisingly, not as difficult to play as I expected. They had more symmetry than I would have guessed. When one hears some of these, they sound disjointed and more random. Upon seeing them, there is a certain logic that went into writing them.

Big FZ fan, but more the "Joes Garage" stuff than the quasi-classical stuff.

Huge fan. Think of the other monster players that got their break in his band Besides George Duke; Jean Luc Ponty, Terry Bozzio, Patrick OHearn, Adrian Belew, Eddie Jobson, Steve Vai, Chad Wackerman, Vinnia Coialuta, Warren Cucurullo, not to mention the artists he produced/exposed to the world, like Alice Cooper.

For the uninitiated, get the albums Apostrophe, Roxy & Elsewhere, Joes Garage (all of it), Sheik Yerbouti (still my all-time favorite), Overnight Sensation, The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life, pretty much any of the You Cant Do That OnStage Any More albums, and of course Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar, Son of Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar, and Return of the Son of Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar.

I got to see him a number of times, every show was different, every band was different, every band was staggeringly monstrous, and as already mentioned, sounded killer, whether in a small theatre (like the Bismarck, the Chicago Auditorium) or in a 10k seater like the UIC Pavilion. Great great stuff. What he did as a composer, as an instrumentalist, as a band leader, as a lyric writer, as an engineer, as a recording artist is simply mind blowing. Lots of his albums are based on live concert recordings, with studio overdubs; but what is so ingenious about it is the way he grabs the electric guitar from one recording, overlays it on the rhythm section from another recording (and not always from the same song!), and then does something else in the studio. The weird bits of dialogue sprinkled throughout the music were also strange experiments that on their own are just pretty funny (and well-chosen). His work in film and video is pretty extraordinary, and of course his work as a lobbyist showed him to be an incredibly articulate speaker, and his social satire is just cutthroat.

Yeah, Im a fanboy through and through. We were lucky to have him as long as we did. The way he died is criminal: he knew he had problems for years, kept going for check-ups and tests and the doctors kept missing it. Im surprised his family didnt sue for malpractice.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Huge fan. Think of the other monster players that got their break in his band Besides George Duke; Jean Luc Ponty, Terry Bozzio, Patrick OHearn, Adrian Belew, Eddie Jobson, Steve Vai, Chad Wackerman, Vinnia Coialuta, Warren Cucurullo, not to mention the artists he produced/exposed to the world, like Alice Cooper.

L Shankar too. :cool: I talked with "Bones" Malone quite a bit about Zappa, Bones is in the David Letterman band and was on several Zappa albums. He showed a sincere reverence for the guy. He insinuated that he was somewhat difficult (as can be expected) but he knew what he wanted and had tons or rehearsals. He also said that, despite his enrollment in certain music schools, that he was primarily self-taught.

Hey Crimsonian King

ZdZ is coming to House of Blues Orlando September 9 with R2F.

I won't be there, because the last experience I had with that place was so bad. Wife and I went there for an unplugged concert, and they so severely oversold that there was no room to move, coupled with morons that decided to wait until the music started to start jabbering away. Gimme a venue with assigned seating. (The Bob Carr comes to mind)

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Sometimes House of Blues does reserved seating only. I'm not sure which shows get that treatment though. You'd be able to tell by the tickets available.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Dynamo hum, or Going to Montana soon going to be a mental toss flycoon. St alfoso's oh what clever stuff. I saw him on the 70's with George Duke and George did wonderful sound effects for his wild lyrics.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I saw RTF IV with ZpZ the other night. I confess I don't know anything about Zappa's music and was there for RTF. That said, the composition and musicianship of those young people was amazing. Great playing and great vocal harmonies. That was a whole lot of music for me to try and digest on first hearing but it was played with a lot of love and respect. The Zappa fans loved it. Dweezil spent about 30 minutes signing autographs afterwards.

RTF was great-better than I expected. Chick's Rhodes sample from the Motif was stunning. He also played the Avant-Grand instead of an acoustic piano. They deconstructed classic RTF songs so they bear little resemblance to the recorded versions.

The contrast between the two bands was interesting as ZpZ was almost classical in it's organization while RTF was looser as you would expect from jazzers. The centerpiece of RTF is really Chick, Stanley and Lenny. Gambale and Ponty to a lesser degree seemed like sidemen.

I saw RTF IV with ZpZ the other night. I confess I don't know anything about Zappa's music and was there for RTF. That said, the composition and musicianship of those young people was amazing. Great playing and great vocal harmonies. That was a whole lot of music for me to try and digest on first hearing but it was played with a lot of love and respect. The Zappa fans loved it. Dweezil spent about 30 minutes signing autographs afterwards.

RTF was great-better than I expected. Chick's Rhodes sample from the Motif was stunning. He also played the Avant-Grand instead of an acoustic piano. They deconstructed classic RTF songs so they bear little resemblance to the recorded versions.

The contrast between the two bands was interesting as ZpZ was almost classical in it's organization while RTF was looser as you would expect from jazzers. The centerpiece of RTF is really Chick, Stanley and Lenny. Gambale and Ponty to a lesser degree seemed like sidemen.

When I saw RTF 2 (I guess it is 2--Chick, Stanley, Lenny, Al DiMeola lineup) At Wolftrap (DC-area) 1975, to me it was Stanley, Chick and Lenny as the frontmen, with Al more in the background...

Same as it ever was???

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Hey Crimsonian King

ZdZ is coming to House of Blues Orlando September 9 with R2F.

I won't be there, because the last experience I had with that place was so bad. Wife and I went there for an unplugged concert, and they so severely oversold that there was no room to move, coupled with morons that decided to wait until the music started to start jabbering away. Gimme a venue with assigned seating. (The Bob Carr comes to mind)

Yeah, i saw that. I'll see if i can go, tickets are kinda of...well, house of blues pricing. I'm kinda short on money this month, i'll see what i can do. (And yes, i don't like House of Blues either)

When I saw RTF 2 (I guess it is 2--Chick, Stanley, Lenny, Al DiMeola lineup) At Wolftrap (DC-area) 1975, to me it was Stanley, Chick and Lenny as the frontmen, with Al more in the background...

Same as it ever was???

NO, I dont think DiMeola is involved. I dont think its Gambale either, possibly John Scofield?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I saw Frank in the early 70's in Vancouver .. I think it was early 70's .. but truth be known I don't really have a good timeline on the 70's :blush::crazy:

Flo and Eddie were there, Aynsley Dunbar and Don Preston

They played the full full version of Billy the Mountain and I was blown away how the band could go through that many changes, including time .. with nothing writen down ... it was amazing .. glad I caught it.

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

Ponty to a lesser degree seemed like sidemen.
This doesn't surprise me, but at the same time I am disappointed. Ponty is probably my favorite musician. I'll see them in 1.5 weeks.
Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

Archived