Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is your favorite free vst?

Alchemist

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is your platform? Many are only available on one or the other.

For many years, the most popular cross-platform freebie has been Green Oak Crystal. It's meant to cover the rudimentaries of several basic forms of synthesis.

In a similar vein, Synth1 is quite popular with Windows users. My recollection is that it was an emulation of either a Nord Lead or a Prophet (similar architectures). It also has a good set of synth drums that sets it apart from other freebies.

But as mentioned already, KVR is your best resource for such stuff. They list by popularity and you can filter by brand etc. as well as read mini-reviews. They also provide links and a news page, so it's a good catch-all site.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

How do I run combo v? I have GarageBand '09 v5.1 as a host. What do I do?

I've never used a vst before.

I bet it's pretty simple, you just gotta make Garage band find the Vsts, there's probably a Vst folder in Garage band's main folder. But since i've never used it, just check this out :

[video:youtube]

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

GarageBand uses the AU (AudioUnit) format. Any AU should come with an installer that puts it in the proper place, and GB should see it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Really? I just told you that the installer takes care of it, all you have to do is look for AUs, and it's too complicated? :facepalm: is right.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This whole computer based stuff is much too complicated.

Lots of things can seem that way at first--learning to drive, learning to play piano, even learning to tie shoes can seem much too complicated to a five year old. But with a little work and practice, they can easily become second nature.

Judging from what I've read so far, I take it you're looking for free virtual instruments that you can use with Garage Band. Just as computer operating systems come in a variety of formats--Mac and Windows, for example--virtual instruments come in a variety of formats. On the Mac, these include VST, AU, RTAS, and MAS. As mentioned above, it's the AU format and not VST (or RTAS or MAS) that Garage Band supports. In other words, you're looking for free AU virtual instruments and not free VST virtual instruments.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Very kind of you, Geoff. :thu:

To add on to what Geoff wrote, some people commonly seem to say "VST" when they mean just about any plug-in format, or even specific ones. Just like when you hear someone say "Pampers" when they mean diapers. It is unfortunate, since the plug in formats are different as he describes.

So I downloaded a audio units plug in. Installed it. Dragged it into the components section of the library. And when GarageBand tries to read it, is says GarageBand can not load this application because the file Is Not compatible. :facepalm: yourself.

I'm glad you got it working. Now the fun begins, and you can try other ones. :thu:

Ok. It worked. Sorry for the whining and noobiness. Tech isnt my thing. I used orca from fxpansion. I realized I had to reboot GarageBand before it would recognize the plug in. Thanks for all your help. Sorry if I made you facePalm.:)

Don't take it too seriously man, here, have a beer on me!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/10/thumb-oktoberfestgirls.jpg

And yeah, i'm sure you'll have lots of fun, there are many great vst/au out there. :thu:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

The irony is that the cheap or free entry-level products are often harder to use once you get past the beginner stage, because they obfuscate or otherwise hide key concepts that you really need to learn in order to go further.

So, don't beat yourself up too much over the confusion with GarageBand (which I've only opened long enough to close :-)), Orca, or other programs that overly-simplify things in a way that is not helpful towards gaining insight into useful concepts.

This same lesson applied when I used to tutor people in math (all levels through to college) and found that the "dumbed-down" courses/textbooks for non-majors were HARDER because they avoided explaining concepts. I loved seeing people's eyes light up when they "got" a critical concept I would explain to them, that the instructor or textbook writer thought was too "intimidating". To me, doing things by rote is intimidating!

Anyway, I think the main initial hangup is that you didn't know the lingo, so to speak. This can really get in the way of figuring out what you need to know to get the work done. The tendency of people to use "VST" as a synonym for plug-in, can really get newbies into a lot of trouble, being that they end up downloading the wrong files for their particular environment.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

FYI, if you find something that comes only in VST format for Mac, there is a AU/VST adaptor. It's an AU plugin that acts as a VST/VSTi host for Mac VST/VSTi plugins. Got that?

I don't remember what it's called, but knowing that it exists might help someone.

Who said this stuff was complicated? Nah! ;-)

FYI, if you find something that comes only in VST format for Mac, there is a AU/VST adaptor. It's an AU plugin that acts as a VST/VSTi host for Mac VST/VSTi plugins. Got that?

I don't remember what it's called, but knowing that it exists might help someone.

Who said this stuff was complicated? Nah! ;-)

D-bon, now you can try the Redtron on a Mac. :thu:

Clonk

But i also found a free one that you might try before spending your $$$

Here

CK - The latter link doesn't work for me.

Try this http://code.google.com/p/symbiosis-au-vst/downloads/detail?name=Symbiosis_v1_29b_20110221.zip

No joy

Clonk

But i also found a free one that you might try before spending your $$$

Here

CK - The latter link doesn't work for me.

Try this http://code.google.com/p/symbiosis-au-vst/downloads/detail?name=Symbiosis_v1_29b_20110221.zip

Thanks, CK. Looks like it's a Safari issue. THe original links work well in Chrome.

Added: Symbiosis is a nice tool but it's meant for developers and people comfortable with compiling their own code. I suspect using it would be challenging for many here.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

For Windows, my favorite freebie is Emu Proteus VX with runner up being Synth1. For the Mac (AU) my favorite would be Linplug Alpha (free) and Native Instruments Kore 2 (demo). (I can't believe they are discontinuing this great synth before I saved the dough to buy it.) Honorable mention for Windows would be the GTG synths, especially K-1.3. If I could remember which was which, I would throw in the HG Fortune synths.

IMHO, the plethora of free synths for Windows actually has killed what little musical productivity I had. Until I got my Windows PC at the beginning of 2010, I was actually making progress learning Apple Logic. When I got my Windows laptop, I rarely went downstairs to the basement where my keyboards and iMac are, and I just started downloading and fiddling with free Windows VSTi instruments. I admire the creativity and work that goes into them, but I personally don't get anything done. Free synths are like crack cocaine. Stay away.

If you want to actually make progress making music of your own, you need to limit the number of soft-synths that you use. On the PC I probably have 50 VST synths. On the Mac, my mainstays are still the Logic synths, especially ES2 and EXS-24. All the free Windows synths together don't add very much over what just the included Logic synths can do.

I was finally starting to break my addiction to free softsynths, but then I got the Korg Microkey and Legacy Collection download. Wouldn't you know it, my addiction just transferred to the "almost free" Korg synths. The Legacy Collection is beastly fun.

Come out with your hands up! I have a synthesizer, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Archived