Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carol Kaye video interview

Bottom End

On making music, and making a living, great six part interview with Carol Kaye.

You might have to scroll down to find part 1. Carol Kaye's lesson were some of the first I bought and played, she really is a great bass player, an all-around accompanist.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm sure she's a fine lady, and she definitely is a killer bass player with an amazing recording career, I'll just say that some of her Motown-related history memory seems, shall we say, selective.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I read a biography of Hendrix that says hey and Buddy Miles jammed with her, and they both thought she was the absolute bomb as a bassist. To me, that's quite a recommendation.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

This was interesting. Carol's pretty opinionated but I guess she has the experience to back it up.

That setup on the bottom of her Ibanez - is that an updated type of mute?

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

She talks about it, it's an improvised mute. Might be a cool idea, especially with palm muting.

She was probably always bold, but being one of the few females slugging it out as a studio musicain, and being a damn good one, probably made her even brassier.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived