Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos live clip

Analogaddict

Hi! I just thought there might be some interest for a Kronos in action... The Kronos does synth brass, fm bells in the 2nd verse and the entire solo, which is played from a PC361 toggling zones on and off. The PC3 also triggers 2 riffs (playing Kronos sounds); the bells in the solo and the bells before the synth brass in verse 3.

The B3 is my XK3c thru Ventilator, and all other sounds (piano, acoustic brass) are Yamaha Motif ES. I think you all know the song. :-)

[video:youtube]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

holly smokes!!! the brass part 53 sounds really really good

IS it live playing or is it a trigger seq?

the solo at 1:19 until 1:24 was sounding aswomen !! but around 1:35 didnt like it ..

the B3 at 2:38 yummi.....it almost replaces 100% a real one .

theres some keyboard parts missing ..WE WANT THE HOLE ENCHILADA DUDE. but finally Kronos in action.

p.s can you tell us a little more about that brass part i mention

patch etc etc

I get new gear

holly smokes!!!
You need to update your profile pic, Steve.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I like it. Can you tell us what you are playing vs what the other guy is playing? I know you did the synth solo and the organ work, which sounds great. What's the other guys role? We were going to pick up that song and I'd have to cover it all myself!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

holly smokes!!!
You need to update your profile pic, Steve.

is that ok?

Yes! Excellent.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You guys sound pretty great! Especailly for that material. Tough crowd, it's obvious they really just have no CLUE what you guys are putting on for them and how RARE it is to hear a band that can actually pull that off.
This is where you put your gear list that no one reads anyway!

I like it. Can you tell us what you are playing vs what the other guy is playing? I know you did the synth solo and the organ work, which sounds great. What's the other guys role? We were going to pick up that song and I'd have to cover it all myself!

I'm playing synth brass, B3, the whole solo (2 lead sounds + bells), the fm sound in verse 2 and the bells in the last bridge (right before the last riff leading to the last chorus). The other guy - who is a MONSTER player - plays piano and acoustic brass. Covering it on one kbd player is impossible unless you play less. IMHO it's no fun; either you lose the piano or B3, or you end up doing half-assed versions of all parts. I've played it by myself many times, and it just won't sound right... It's a 2 keyboard song!

You guys sound pretty great! Especailly for that material. Tough crowd, it's obvious they really just have no CLUE what you guys are putting on for them and how RARE it is to hear a band that can actually pull that off.

Thanks! It was a rough crowd and this was song #2 or 3 IIRC... We had them going good a few songs later.

holly smokes!!! the brass part 53 sounds really really good

IS it live playing or is it a trigger seq?

Everything is live except for two bell parts which I simply would have needed a third hand to play.

hthe solo at 1:19 until 1:24 was sounding aswomen !! but around 1:35 didnt like it ..
Hey, no sweat... :-)

hthe B3 at 2:38 yummi.....it almost replaces 100% a real one .

Yup, I'm very happy with the XK3c/Ventilator combi.

htheres some keyboard parts missing ..WE WANT THE HOLE ENCHILADA DUDE. but finally Kronos in action.

Please enlighten me, I'm pretty sure we nailed the whole song. We played more keyboard parts than Toto do live..! ;-)

You got the parts, just not all the sounds. Easy for us to say as you were playing it live and Toto had many tracks to work with in the studio. One of the signature sounds i would like to hear is the pitch bending chords building into the climax of b part of the instrumental break (right before the guitar solo). You play them usng the brass voice and i believe that it should be a synth sound.

All that being said, you guys did a great job with that song. I love it when bands take chances like that... You are right, there is no way to do justice to this song with one keyboard player.

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

One of the signature sounds i would like to hear is the pitch bending chords building into the climax of b part of the instrumental break (right before the guitar solo). You play them usng the brass voice and i believe that it should be a synth sound.

Yeah, I know, I just didn't get around to programming that sound. I had a total of 6 hours to do all the transcribing and programming... But hey, this is the way Toto does it live!

Sweet! Great lead singer, too.

More bands should have two keyboard players.

In fact... screw it. Next time I start a band: ALL KEYBOARD PLAYERS.

We will be "The Not Gettin' Any Quartet".

-John

My country band just added a second keys player. Great to have both piano and organ going full strength at the same time.....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

My country band just added a second keys player. Great to have both piano and organ going full strength at the same time.....

That's the way it's supposed to be! Everything just falls into place with two keyboard players, espescially in genres like country where you need two hands per instrument.

We originally had a 2nd player, a girl who was a church player. She was talented, could read well, but had zero feel- everything was note on, note off, no articulation, no dynamics. She had no ability to go with the flow if an arrangement got botched. At rehearsal if we decided to change something around she took 15 minutes to rewrite her music. We finally dumped her and got another guy who was a great player but turned out to be a complete whack job head case. He quit the band the day of our 1st gig. We went forward with just me, tweaked our repertoire a bit and have never looked back. Yes, it'd be nice to have a 2nd player for some things. Ideally a sax guy who was decent on keys but it's not something we really want or need at this point.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

From keyboard player to keyboard player . ( would never say

this trying to be a ·$·$"", its more of a Love and peace thing. LOL

Dont hear the piano at the beggining.

In some hits, you didnt back them up with piano or brass..

or maybe its too low.

like in 1:18 I heard no brass and the brass patch you have sounds KILLER!! why leave it out?? dude sounds really great dont leave it out!

i think theres is a phrases missing where the brass is leaft in the End like here 1:34 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq4ychrRkQA

and some little low end brass 1:45 and 1:50 2:36 and what about

the 2:47-52 DUde !! 3:03 the B3 at 3:35 its to low TURN IT UP! LOL

but specially the piano maybe there too low that i cant hear them.

but on the recording there really clear.

and other little things but its going to be a nightmare to play all.

and please tell me about the brass.

I get new gear

I don't know if this has been seen on the forum before, but I was cruising around and saw it on YouTube.

Start watching at 18:39 in for how it relates to this thread.

Pretty darn good use of switching patches during a song and some good playing.

Gives you some ideas on how one person can tackle this tune.

Richard

Korg Triton Extreme, Roland VR-760, Roland D-50, A&H ZED 12-FX, QSC K12s

I don't know if this has been seen on the forum before, but I was cruising around and saw it on YouTube.

Richard

Pretty damn impressive....

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

Richard

Pretty damn impressive....

This is basically how I play this song as well. I use two keyboards, bottom is piano, brass and solo. Top is hammond. I play the piano during the verse, during the pre-chorus I use organ right hand, accents with piano chords in left hand, and in another zone of the keyboard I have the brass sound (the last note of the brass break (high F) I assigned to a big downward glissando brass sound).

I can play the brass sound with my right hand and use my left hand to play the hammond in the last chorus. I have to admit, it is kind of hard, but doable. I don't have hands left to play the nice bells and others sounds during the verse. Hope it helps Dan!

greets Rudy

Rudy

Very impressive! He really gets all the important parts. I'd probably have a lot of trouble remembering a large number of songs with that kind of programming, but if you're doing a fixed set it'll be possible to remember. I have similar setups on my PC3 for a couple of songs that need loads of zones (Human, Take On Me...), but I'm always nervous about not remembering what's assigned... ;)

Yeah... it takes talent to deal with all that programming and presets. And a good memory...

Hammond and piano only for me! I know my limitations...

In fact... screw it. Next time I start a band: ALL KEYBOARD PLAYERS.

-John

That's exactly what happened back in the mid 70's...

[video:youtube]

Analog tell us a bit about the brass.

There's not much to say really, kbd 1 is playing acoustic brass on a Motif ES, I'm playing synth brass on the Kronos, a pretty generic Kronos preset. We seem to have pretty good timing together, the brass phrases sound really good to me timing wise. What are you thinking of, specifically?

Archived