Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PX330 as a controller

David Loving

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I've plugged in my PX-3 to my MacBook Pro over USB, it just worked.

The first thing I'd recommend is trying MIDI Monitor to make sure the MBP is seeing the MIDI. The next thing is to play around with the Audio MIDI Setup app that you'll find in Applications/Utilities, though I can't give you much more detail than that. The times I've used that app I didn't completely get it, but got things working.

Also, many apps that playback when controlled by MIDI have an indicator to tell you they are receiving MIDI data, even if they're not "using" it.

I assume you can get sounds out of Kontakt 4? Usually there's something like an onscreen keyboard you can click with your mouse to make sure it's working.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Daviel,

The PX-330 and all other Casio digital pianos and keyboards have class compliant MIDI, this means as Joe said that it "should just work". Have you confirmed that it is showing up in your Audio/MIDI setup?

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

You need to tell your MacBook (and Kontakt) what device should control it. Run Audio/MIDI setup to confirm that the MBP is seeing the Casio, then tell Kontakt what device you want to use to trigger the sounds (read the documentation, then go to Preferences in Kontakt).

Thanks guys - Sven/mike that is what I ended up doing. I have it running through my PA now. Now I am working on the casio sending volume, leslie on and off. The volume control on the casio is not showing up in the program, so that is probably where the answer is - but any tips are greatly appreciated. This is fun. It's amazing - just follow the directions to the letter and the Casio sets up the usb as active - go into options in Kontakt and tell it about the audio interface.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

The volume control on the PX-330 controls the volume of the PX-330 itself, that is not a continuous controller and does not transmit MIDI data.

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Although the PX-330 does not send volume control over MIDI -- or, for that matter, any continuous controllers other than pitch bend -- you might be able to do what you want by adding a Behringer FCB1010 to its MIDI in, to add two CC pedals (you could use one for volume, one for modulation) -- I haven't tried it, but I think it would work -- it would also add a bunch of foot switches that can be used to send patch changes or engage certain effects

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Although the PX-330 does not send volume control over MIDI -- or, for that matter, any continuous controllers other than pitch bend -- you might be able to do what you want by adding a Behringer FCB1010 to its MIDI in, to add two CC pedals (you could use one for volume, one for modulation) -- I haven't tried it, but I think it would work -- it would also add a bunch of foot switches that can be used to send patch changes or engage certain effects

I have but two usb inputs on the computer. Do I need a hub? Will the casio plug into the fcb1010 and the fcb1010 plug into the computer?

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I have but two usb inputs on the computer. Do I need a hub? Will the casio plug into the fcb1010 and the fcb1010 plug into the computer?

The FCB1010 is a MIDI device, not a USB device. It will send its MIDI signals out its MIDI port, and it also includes a function which lets you connect your keyboard to its MIDI input jack for the purpose of merging your keyboard's MIDI signal and the pedal's own MIDI signals into a single combined MIDI output, which is what you want. But you will then need a MIDI->USB interface to bring that signal into your computer. If you don't already have one, they're commonly available. I've had good experience with the ones from Roland that go for $30-$40, but I see online that there are even ones around now for about $5.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Here's another suggestion - Korg NanoKontrol. Not only will it solve your volume control problem, but gives you *lots* of other knobs, sliders and buttons. You will appreciate these when working with Kontakt/other VSTs. Without these, you'll be fumbling around with a mouse and squinting at a screen every time you want to tweak a parameter. With all those knobs and sliders, tweaking parameters becomes a joy - you might even forget that there's a computer involved. If nothing else, can be used for tuning velocity curves - absolutely essential for getting the keys-to-sound connection right.

The NanoKontrol is USB, just like your PX-330, and just as easy to set up and use. For ~$40, it's almost a no-brainer. It can complement a FCB1010 - best of both worlds! Only downside - while you can place it on the speaker area of the PX-330, you *might* need to secure it with tape or something.

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Archived