Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Doubts: Which Keyboard would suit my needs - Roland or Korg?

richievh

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have been a guitar player for some time. I have been studying keyboards and own a Yamaha PSR E303. I decided to upgrade my gear and maybe mount a rig.

I like to play progressive rock (Yes and Genesis) and some 80's music (New Order, A-ha), so I am pretty ecletic.

I have been checking a few keyboards by Roland and Korg. To name them:

- Roland Juno Di

- Roland Gaia Sh01

- Korg MicroKorg

- Korg PS60

my budget is $1500. I use these sounds:

- Synth leads (Something that could be used similarly to a Moog)

- Pads

- Strings

- Brass

- Choirs

Basically, I like Mellotron sounds (I use a lot of choir and strings to make fill ins and solos), so I could buy two of these keyboards, but which? We are talking about using them live, so I would beg you to post your prefferences. Does Yamaha have any keyboard that could suit me?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Kurzweil PC361 is better than the PC3LE6, and can be found under $1500, it would be a great single board choice.

For the combination of mellotrons, analog-style synth, pads, strings, brass, choir, pads... I don't think you could get 2 keyboards for $1500 that would beat the PC361. Decent organs too, which weren't mentioned, but is certainly big in prog. It's not the lightest and not the simplest, but it's probably the best sounding and most flexible $1500 solution. Nice feeling synth/organ action with aftertouch, too. It was not designed to be selling at that price, it's a bargain.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Go to Novamusik.com. You can get a PC-361 for about $1200, NEW! I have never purchased from them but used them as a price match......
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Thanks for the advice!

Turns out my budget is a little reduced (I live in another country, so import fees make Kurzweil boards a little expensive) so I could buy any of these:

- Roland Juno + Gaia

- Korg x50

- Kurzweil SP4 -7

- Korg ps 60

Is the kurzweil still worth the buy? I checked their site and absolutely digged the sounds. Found that I could download some patches from the PC3 series into the SP4. Should I go w/ another mark?

I had the opportunity of testing the Rolands (found them good, but I don't know, a bit shallow for me) and the Korgs (really digged ps60 but was told the x50, which I found was a bit difficult to tamper with was better). Plan to try a Yamaha MM6

What I would like to know is: is the kurzweil still worth the buy? Are its keys light? I like to play fast solos and have played with light keys all my life...

Anyway thanks for the help and sorry to bother

Kurzweil SP4 keys are light... not as light as the other boards you're looking at, but I doubt it would be a problem. I think it's still probably your best bet for most of the sounds you want. Except, as you did for your "Juno + Gaia" idea, I think it would be good to add a separate synth to it, since unlike the bigger Kurz, the SP4 has relatively little synth lead functionality and its sound creation/manipulation capability is basically non-existant, it's really designed to be a preset-playback machine (similar to the Korg PS60 in that respect). A Micro-Korg would be a nice sounding, small, light, inexpensive add-on that would give you a nice VA capability... and since the SP4 itself has excellent MIDI controller functionality, you could play the Micro-Korg from the SP4's keyboard (split and layered with the SP4's own sounds), so you wouldn't be stuck only playing the micro-keys.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived