Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

storing keyboard in hot car

huskyfan

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can get spectacularly hot here (100s recently), and I just don't do it, any more than I'd leave a laptop in a hot car for an extended period. I could accept doing it if I (a) gigged more and (b) parked in the shade. Then all I have to worry about is potential theft (which does happen here).

I just haul the keyboards into my office. Not assuming you work in an office however :)

I make software noises.

I do it. Have never really had an issue other than bubbling/ warping the outside covering on a road case once. Some chunks of the plastic outside stuff eventually broke and came off my KS-32 case.

But I wouldn't think keeping electronics in a 200 degree oven would be the best thing for your stuff. But that is part of the cost of doing business I guess.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I try not do that. But when I don't have an alternative, I try and park it in the shade. I have noticed that in the case the sun isn't ever directly on the board and it is never hot to the touch, just warm. I would never allow it to sit in a hot car without being in a case. For most gigs I have a semi rigid gator case, and recently a solid flight case I got used.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Good post have been wondering about this. I've started bring a midi controller as spare on one keyboard gigs, and leaving it in the car. On a day gig it was outside in hot temps a couple of weeks ago. I will check it later this week.

David Rosenthal's videos and a bozo guitarist's outbursts when his one amp blew on a recent gig have inspired me to get some back up stuff going. (I no longer gig with that idiot- he had no spare in his car).

Every gigging guitarist should carry a modeler pedal of some sort or a line 6 "kidney bean". They are cheaper than an amp, fit in a gig bag and can plug into the PA for a quick replacement if your amp dies. Even a behringer V-Amp will do in a pinch and can be usually had for about $50 used.

ASometimes I have to leave keyboards in hot car when its in the 90's temp wise.

That's not a problem if you are in a covered garage. If it's in the trunk of a car out in the sun that temp could jump another 80-100 degrees though. That's when you need to bring it inside somehow. Displays, switches - all kinds of things don't take heat that high well.

I've never worried about it. It doesn't seem to bother the audio/video components in the car?...

I saw that Nord cooks the keyboards (while they're powered up) for a significant time, before shipping them, as a quality control measure.

Just my .02

I figure that if you have the other band members counting on you. As well as a contract verbal or written to play, then screw tone. Get through the gig get paid, the show must go on.

I've never worried about it. It doesn't seem to bother the audio/video components in the car?...

I saw that Nord cooks the keyboards (while they're powered up) for a significant time, before shipping them, as a quality control measure.

Just my .02

Ahh the beauty of a board with no display! :D

Seriously I've had more than my share of blank displays on boards pulled out of a hot car. And for some reason they take awhile to work after being hot.

YMMV as always....

I live in the Bullhead City AZ-Laughlin area where it gets incredibly hot from May through October. I don't leave anything electronic in the car anymore, not even my cell phone. I figure there are days when my car is 130/140 degrees when I hop inside.

I don't leave anything in the garage either during the Summer months. So...anyone staying in my spare bedroom has to climb over my Fantom if they want to take a nap. If my mother-in-law visits I'll slide it under the bed. Everyone else,deal with it!

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

I you must leave gear in a hot car, go buy a couple of mylar emergency blankets ($2-3 ea.). Cover your gear with the shiny side on the outside. The same blankets can work well for shading your gear if you setup outside.

Equipment designed for use in vehicles uses electrolytic capacitors rated at 105 degrees Celsius. Most keyboards have 80 degrees Celsius rated electrolytic capacitors.

Long term, high temperatures will reduce the life of any electronic equipment and can can often accelerate component failure. I would definitely try to avoid exposure to high temperatures as much as possible.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I leave equipment in my car all the time and haven't had a problem, but that's not to say it's a good idea. Covering makes a difference. I always cover everything with a heavy blanket for two reasons. One, because it's added protection against the heat, and two, so that my gear isn't visible. It's less likely that someone will break into your car to steal your stuff if there isn't any stuff in plain sight. Not fool-proof, I know.

I can't speak to validity of this, but I've always heard that it's changes in temperature that affect electronics more than the actual temperature to a certain degree, like going from a hot car right to a cool air-conditioned room, or vice-versa. It seems to make sense, being that heat and cold cause materials to expand and contract. Having that happen rapidly can't be good.

temperture changes in the winter especially creates a lot of moisture from condensation. especially going from extreme

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've not had a problem with heat from the car BUT I HAVE had a problem with blazing sun shining on a black keyboard. My Kurz PC3 outer case gets so hot I can't touch it for more than a second. So if I have to play outside uncovered for any length of time now I cover the kb with a tarp and place my fan under the tarp to circulate the air. Works great until we go on. Then it's cross your fingers time. I've actually had my kb go out of tune from overheat!

Pete

"all generalizations are false" ~Mark Twain

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

My boards lived in a trailer behind a bus for the better part of 12 years. Extreme heat and cold, but never any problems. I was lucky.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I can't speak to validity of this, but I've always heard that it's changes in temperature that affect electronics more than the actual temperature to a certain degree, like going from a hot car right to a cool air-conditioned room, or vice-versa. It seems to make sense, being that heat and cold cause materials to expand and contract. Having that happen rapidly can't be good.

I found this article interesting.

KLONK

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Not a keyboardist, but as a guitarist I DEFINITELY don't leave my equipment in my car, unless it's for 5 mins. to get a cup of coffee on Sunday morning.

In part because of the heat or cold, and in part because someone might steal it. It's happened a couple of times, not from my car, but I'm careful these days.

I've stored keyboards in hot and cold cars, vans, tour buses for over 2 decades and never had an issue.

I had an XB-2 that used to die in hot sunny gigs and I'd switch to the backup XB-2 while the first one cooled off.

My Korg TR-Rack stopped responding during the second set of an outdoor gig in ridiculous heat. While it remained on, it stopped generating sound and would not respond to MIDI program changes. It returned to normal functioning once the temperature likewise returned to normal.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

It's not the best for it, but we've all done it. Heck, my rig lives in the band trailer most of the time, so everything gets pretty warm (and cold in the winter.) This winter's going to be interesting with the Rhodes...

The worst heat-related issue I've had with keyboards is when a close par-can the sound/light crew INSISTED on aiming at me and my rig weakened the screen of my Triton many years ago. It was never quite the same after that night...and I was miserable playing under the damned thing. To this day I hate par cans with a passion...my current band has all LED lighting.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Archived