Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone listening to SBTRKT?

Dana.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just bought the album. Thanks for turning me on to this. Cool shit.

Wow. Glad you dig it. :cool:

One of the reasons I love this song is because it's so minimal. I liken it to Prince's approach on "When Doves Cry."

I rather liked it. Nice bassline.

That's the first thing that caught my ear. Digging the on-the-fly filter stuff.

A great example of: "Less is more". The "When Doves Cry" comparison is right on. I want to hear more...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

drum machine, awesome :sick:

:facepalm:

hey, just leveling out the class vs. whatever 'round here

nah, for what it is, this is quality stuff

It is funny how so many tracks that had drum machine in the past would blow me away but these days, it really dampers my enjoyment of the music. I guess the less you use a tool the less you can appreciate it, in general.

I listened to this yesterday and again today. It kind of reminds me of the backing to a children's video game. Please enlighten me to what I am missing. Seriously.

BTW How do you define "song"?

Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

I know I promised to avoid you, but it needs to be said.

This is amateur TB303 wanking with what I suppose is intended to be meaningful lyric which I cannot comprehend thanks to where it is positioned (behind the wankery) in the mix.

You think this is good, but Jordan Rudess sucks? That is really all I needed to know about your mindset.

(edit)

For the record, not only have I heard better electronica than this, I've produced better electronica than this (go ahead, dare me to show proof). That would be the fundamental difference between me criticizing this and D-Bon criticizing JR.

RollinStone mentioned Pharaohs as a Basement Jaxx kind of track and it was more to my taste.

I'm not the target demographic but If was 20 and we had a local DJ creating stuff like 'Pharaohs' and spinning it in between other tracks I'd think he was a local DIY god. In that context I understand the buzz of kids who prefer DIY music by kids who work the jointz.

[video:youtube]

I like it. And it grows on you the more you listen to it. I wouldn't expect everyone to like it around here, and that's not a knock. We all like what we like.

But this is the sound of modern electronica. You may think you can make something better, you make think it was so 'EASY' to make and you could do it. Isn't that the reaction to lots of music you first hear? 'All it is is a vocal over an arpeggiated bassline and a drum machine'. How about 'The blues is easy it's just 3 chords'. Yeah, but there's more to it than that.

Why do I like it? The minimalism is one of the reasons this is so effective actually. There is something BOLD about having just a drum pattern and a bass line like that. The vocal is quirky yet soulful and the way it interplays with the bass line is great. The atonal portamento slide that comes in just ups the ante. They somehow create an entire arrangement and song from these few elements. It's cool magn.

Not saying you should like it, just saying why I do.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I gave Wildfire a couple of listens, and while not my particular "brand of vodka", I do see a certain appeal to the demographic that digs that sound and flavor.

Pharaoahs, on the other hand, I could certainly dig listening to in a dimly lit, chill bar while quaffing some righteous martinis and playing a round of "game on" with the farer sex!

On the other hand, it's not quite Massive Attack, but then again, I don't think it's meant to be either, but it evokes that same "cool vibe" feeling to me.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Why do I like it? The minimalism is one of the reasons this is so effective actually. There is something BOLD about having just a drum pattern and a bass line like that. The vocal is quirky yet soulful and the way it interplays with the bass line is great. The atonal portamento slide that comes in just ups the ante. They somehow create an entire arrangement and song from these few elements. It's cool magn.

Right on, Bobby. Excellent analysis. :)

Man, my brothers would kick the sh!t out of me if they caught me listening to that! ;)

I don't mind the minimalist approach, but there's just no hook and the song never goes anywhere. In short, there's nothing that really makes me want to keep listneing.

I'm not much of a fan of this type of music either, but my DJ brother (16yrs younger than me) is into it and says this stuff is all they play at parties/raves! Mind you, he always asks me why I have actual keyboards, when I could just be using a DAW :confused: . He also knows a woman who produces stuff like this and makes $1500 a night playing live with her laptop, so one can do well if they try I guess. IMO this stuff will fade out in a few years, as it hurts and confuses my ears/noggin when my bro plays it.

Maybe KC should have a song contest on here to see who can compose a better one than this, but count me out :) !

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

Archived