Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT: Going to San Francisco--any one playing?

ksoper

I'll be in San Francisco from 8/13-18. Are there any KCers performing? I won't have a car and will be relying on Muni/BART, but would love to hear some live music.

I'd also like some recommendations from the locals for eats/drinks/etc. I've been to Robot Speak in the Haight on business and...that's about it. Didn't have enough time to really explore the city. I hear that Swan's Oyster Depot rocks. I'm also a huge sushi fan. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

K.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have a couple gigs that weekend, but they're both civic concerts in burgs well outside the city.

I know SF very well and I'll be glad to help you with recommendations. Music-wise, we'll know what's going on when the listings for that week come out.

Swan's is great for lunch. Very small, and usually a line to get in, but worth it. It's right down the street from where I work, so I'll pop down there around 11:30 to beat the crowds. There's plenty of good sushi, and plenty of average sushi. Ebisu, in the inner sunset, is my favorite. You'll probably want to hit North Beach for italian. I send people to Sodini's for authentic home style . . . sort of what Bucca de Beppo would be if it was the real thing.

Feel free to PM me. I like to help people explore the city. I don't know any other KC'ers who are in the city itself.

Oh, and don't expect it to be warm. You might get lucky, but chances are, it will be cloudy and breezy.

Adan

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm playing August 12 (Friday) at the San Jose Jazz Festival, which is about an hour away ... and also a day early, so I guess that doesn't help you much. :freak:

I will leave the recommendations for eats up to Adan or others in the city proper; I can only tell you one of my favorite restaurants up there is Perbacco (Modern/Upscale Italian) in Hayes Valley. So many good eats, though ... have fun!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Music-wise I defer to the locals. Food-wise, two of my favorite places:

For breakfast & later, try Farm:Table on Post St - tiny place, only 3 locally sourced dishes on the menu, awesome. Around the corner from there (on Jones) is Dottie's true blue cafe, another breakfast staple (come early, bring a newspaper).

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

That weekend is my first weekend off since the summer started. Audrey's sister will be in town, and I'll probably be playing tour guide in the City myself. :)

If you haven't spent much time here, it's truly hard to believe how cold it can get in the summer in San Francisco. In absolute terms, of course, it's not bad. But it's summer for pete's sake -- foggy, windy and 50s can just shock the hell out of one's system (especially in shorts and a tank top).

In mid-August, you could get lucky and see nothing but mildly warm sunshine. But be prepared.

The weird thing is, 50 miles away where I live, it will be downright hot.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I enjoy Sushi Groove in Russian Hill, but if there's one thing you almost can't go wrong with in SF is great sushi and seafood in general. I'd have to say that as a whole, San Francisco is my favorite dining city in the USA, bar none. Enjoy. :)

I've got four jazz gigs during that period, only one of which is both public and near BART. That would be early morning (9am to 1pm) in Pleasant Hill at their Farmer's Market. Come to think of it though, that might be more than a 10-15 minute walk from BART as the so-called Pleasant Hill station is really in Walnut Creek.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Zachary's has excellent deep dish, but is not in SF. Little Star Pizza, in SF, is as good or better. Sushi Groove and Blowfish Sushi are both excellent and represent a more nouveau approach to sushi. Ebisu, which I mentioned, is a little more traditional and also has a unique sparkly atmosphere that you can feel the moment you walk in -- people go as much for that as for the fish. I somehow neglected to mention my favorite place in the City -- Rose PIstola in North Beach, which features northern style italian fare with an emphasis on grilled and broiled seafood. Down the street in North Beach, Comstock Saloon offers Barbary Coast fare, i.e., all food and drink you could have found in SF circa 1900, and jazz music most evenings, including my quartet every other Thursday (but not during Ksoper's visit). Mind you, all this discussion is for peeps who try to spend well under $100 on a meal. If you want to go upscale, that's a whole different discussion.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

If you happen to zip across the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito (which I strongly urge that you do, if you haven't been there before and you can catch the ferry if you're not driving), one of the best sushi restaurants anywhere in the Bay Area is Sushi Ran. It's on Caledonia Street, and is where we "locals" in Sausalito go, instead of anywhere on the Bridgeway.

+1 on Rose Pistola, Sushi Groove and Adan's other picks!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Even non-vegans tend to love the scrumptious and unique cuisine of Millenium Restaurant, in the Theatre District. It's a bit pricey by my standards (I try to keep it well under $10 on the rare occasions that I eat out), but is well worth it.

I'm not a dessert eater, but made an exception the two times I ate there as their desserts are out of this world! This restaurant makes the list of one of the best in the world on an annual basis, and with good reason. It's unique enough to be worth a try, if you want to experience San Francisco and what it has to offer.

There's a lot of controversy about Zachary's amongst those of us from the east coast, but I'm not one of the people who thinks it's fashionable to diss it. But I certainly wouldn't come to the West Coast for pizza! This is probably one of the weakest aspects of West Coast eating overall, so even the better pizza would go nearer the bottom of my list for out-of-towners to try.

It's too time-consuming to come up with a random list for an outsider whose tastes aren't known in advance, so I'll stick just with my one recommendation of Millenium Restaurant, which in my view is the best restaurant I've ever eaten at anywhere in the entire world.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Mind you, all this discussion is for peeps who try to spend well under $100 on a meal. If you want to go upscale, that's a whole different discussion.

Ate at Gary Danko on a SF trip 10 years ago. That was an excellent $100/pp meal but it was a special occassion.

Another +1 on Rose Pistola.

Oh yeah, another +1 on Rose Pistola. If you really want to splurge ... um, how's Masa's these days? Last time I was there it was fabulous. Of course 10 years or so ago we dropped $250 for two for dinner. :freak: But it's definitely one of those "experiences," NOT an everyday kinda thing (at least not for me ...). I'd like to try Gary Danko at some point, too.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I've copied down all your suggestions and am anxiously anticipating eating at each and every one as budget permits. Food, as well as culture in Middle Tennessee is homogenized to the point of utter blandness. Having grown up close to Philadelphia I know what a real city offers and I miss it terribly. Can't wait for this trip.

Thanks, all for your help.

K.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Don't forget the Mission District, for eateries. Good Latin American cuisine of all sorts, and an authentic Breton Creperie that serves real Savory Crepes (buckwheat, healthy, delicious) and not just the Dessert Crepes that dominate the US market.

It's been many years since I ate there, but I think it's called Ti Kuz.

There's a great Tapas bar/restaurant around the corner from SF/MOMA (museum on 3rd St. at Mission), who feature live flamenco music and dancing certain afternoons. They also have a gazillion microbrew choices including unusual stuff like fruit beers (I didn't pay much attention as I'm a teetotaller).

It's hard to go wrong food-wise in SF.

Indian, Nicaraguan, Chinese, Vietnamese ... lots of flavors to savor. I notice we seemed a bit contintental/Italian-heavy in our suggestions (but good Italian food is everywhere around here) but the culinary variety is mind-boggling. I ate at this great Korean BBQ place once and can't remember the name.

I've never been to Slanted Door for Vietnamese, but I've heard it's really good. It's a place I'd like to try at some point.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

Archived