Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I finally got a Privia

scottasin

So I tried to fix the dead key on my Electro as described by other forum members and other sites, and I must have done something wrong, because it won't turn on... I decided to try the DIY because I had a show in a few days and no one was gonna be able to fix it quick enough. I'm Gonna have to bring it in now, because I have no idea how to fix it now, and I don't plan on trying again.

Regardless, I got a Privia PX-330 today to fill in, and used that for the piano sounds, and MIDIed to my friends laptop running VB3 and NI Electric Pianos. I had them run it in stereo out front, and used the house monitors which were mono I'm pretty sure. I really liked the feel, its nice having an actual piano feel, but I'm definitely gonnaa have to practice on it a lot since I'm used to the Nord's keys. The piano sound didn't compress to mono well at all through my monitor I didn't think. Am I better off running mono straight from the output, does it have a mono sample, or does it compress the stereo sample down to mono? Either way I'm still happy with the purchase, and I can't wait till my Nord is repaired and I can use those EPs from the Privia's keyboard. I'll have to compare the two piano samples though and see which I like most.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have both, the Nord's are much better, not much comparison. The PX is nice for the money though.
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

I made a very hard choice ysterday, not to buy a used PX-330 like new for only $300. Really hard.

It was in Craigslist being sold by a piano teacher who recently upgraded to a Roland FP-7 and I took a close friend of mine who is also in the market for a digital piano to go see it. I thought for sure one of us would buy it. It was in perfect shape and it played great. But frankly it's a one-trick pony... awesome grand piano and that's it. The EP's were muddy, the organs were horrible, and the rest of the sounds were unremarkable. I actually used to have a PX-320 for a while but I would up selling it and I thought this would be a good investment. For $300 it's an unbeatable value even if the acoustic piano was it's only sound. But times are tight right now and both my friend and I decided to pass on it. We went to lunch and my friend remarked that he may change his mind and go back for it, but I won't.

I do think the PX-330 will make a nice controller with a laptop for EP's and organs as mentioned above.

I like the EPs in the PX3. Add a bit of tremolo to the Wurli sound and it works very well in a band context. For $300, it's kinda silly not to pick it up.

It was a PX-330, not a PX3. The EPs are not as good in the 330, and it doesn't make nearly as good a controller for other sound sources. Not that $300 isn't a great price for it, if it does something you need. But personally, while I like my PX3, I wouldn't buy a PX-330 for any purpose except if to resell it at a profit, which one could probably do at the $300 cost. I owned one briefly, it's one of the very few boards I've had that I really disliked. There was not a single thing I enjoyed about it. And this is from someone who owned and liked two older Privias. And I like the PX3. I even like the CDP-100. But the PX-130 and PX-330... ugh.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived