Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Journey" on the today show today...

e-keys

Not that I care one way or another, but they're tuned down a 1/2 step from the original. We do that, so I can't say anything...just pointing it out.

It is interesting that sometimes they do and some shows they don't tune down.

The Today show I think was tuned down due to the fact they were still up from the show last night in MN. flew into NY at 4am and were going non stop till the end of the broadcast.

Yes, Jon has been using the V-Piano, with his trusty old Ensoniq TS-10 on top of it. (1 of a few he owns) on most shows over in Europe, and special events like this.

For those who asked, they retired the Whale (red Yamaha) a couple years ago. He bought a beautiful new Fazioli that they use on tour in the states.

Oh, as far as Perry/Augeri/Soto/Pineda stuff, I never get involved in any of those discussions.... i.e. 1 tribute band guy who this didn't "hit a nerve" with.

Carry on :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry.. I meant "Lights"...

as in... "When the Lights.. go down.. in the city...."

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

No Perry, no interest.

For me it's No Steve Smith, no interest. Schon's got a son who plays guitar in a band fronted by Cain's daughter. There both pretty good, but the younger Schon in particular is likely to be a serious player when he grows a little. Shows a little more tasteful nuance than his dad did at that age.

I like how you distinguish her by noting her unique red headband....

I don't know... how would you distinguish her, Joe?

Not by something that half the people in the crowd were wearing.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I like how you distinguish her by noting her unique red headband....

I don't know... how would you distinguish her, Joe?

Not by something that half the people in the crowd were wearing.

OK, I will be more specific.. She is the one mouthing the words like she had to learn them for this particular shoot.

Wait... I guess they are all doing that as well... Could this be rehearsed behavior? Models in the front row all swinging their arms and singing along, happy and smiling? I had no idea that New Yorkers were so jolly and overjoyed to see Journey!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Pineda struggled bad on both attempts at "...in the niiiiiiiiight" and every other time he had to hit and hold that note. I cringed.

I'll cut him some slack for the fact that they just did a show the previous night and caught a red-eye to make this one, but...

[video:youtube]

The master is still the master...

OK, I will be more specific.. She is the one mouthing the words like she had to learn them for this particular shoot.

Wait... I guess they are all doing that as well... Could this be rehearsed behavior? Models in the front row all swinging their arms and singing along, happy and smiling? I had no idea that New Yorkers were so jolly and overjoyed to see Journey!

That's what people do at these kinds of shows. They all sing along, wave their arms, and make motions to show that they know where the 'moments' in the song are. I'm sure there were guys playing air guitar to those triplet lines Schon plays at the beginning.

It just goes on and on and on...

;)

P.S. It's possible the people running the show moved the more "photogenic" where they would get on screen. Some shows have a big procedure about who gets to sit where in the audience.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

For me it's No Steve Smith, no interest. Schon's got a son who plays guitar in a band fronted by Cain's daughter. There both pretty good, but the younger Schon in particular is likely to be a serious player when he grows a little. Shows a little more tasteful nuance than his dad did at that age.

That's pretty cool. I hear Mr. Cain now resides in your neck of the woods.....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

That's pretty cool. I hear Mr. Cain now resides in your neck of the woods.....

Yep, and built or is still in the process of building a studio. His daughter Madison is who I believe Steve is referring to. I've been following her (and Jonathan, of course) on another site. What I've heard from her so far is pretty decent. While going off topic a bit, one thing I think is cool is how Jon has had is whole family with him on the U.S. part of the tour.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I have a question for Journey fans.

Does, or has, Journey ever played any of their original tunes in concert like "In The Morning Day" or "Topaz" ? Or do they only play their later tunes after Perry joined?

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

Yeah, it just shows exactly how good a vocalist SP was back in the day. I'm not much of a Journey fan, but the live clip made me really want to hear the original to hear SP sing it. Dude had sick skillz
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yeah, it just shows exactly how good a vocalist SP was back in the day. I'm not much of a Journey fan, but the live clip made me really want to hear the original to hear SP sing it. Dude had sick skillz

The sickest part was the '94 clip (Separate Ways) - he was just as perfect 15 years later, when most tenors start to decline.

That clip of Journey in Houston reminds me that I would much rather hear four guys belting out the vocals and not always getting them instead of all the perfect backing tracks in the world.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I can't find anything out there post-1977 of Journey's earlier stuff, gryphon, so I'm gonna guess "no".
I'm assuming you meant "pre-" instead of "post-." Journey formed in the mid-70's. One of their first pieces was named Kohoutek, which was a comet that came near earth in 1973. I watched it. I still have their debut album on vinyl. Ex-Santana. They have changed a lot since that day. In fact, it appears they have entirely abandoned their initial, mostly instrumental, vision. :( It made them rich, though.
Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

I have a question for Journey fans.

Does, or has, Journey ever played any of their original tunes in concert like "In The Morning Day" or "Topaz" ? Or do they only play their later saccharine tunes after Perry joined?

On their "Generations" tour (2005) they essentially did a set of their pre-Steve Perry stuff, took an intermission, then came back with a set of the Steve Perry hits. I'm not sure they did those two songs, but it was cool hearing them stretch out on the older stuff.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I can't find anything out there post-1977 of Journey's earlier stuff, gryphon, so I'm gonna guess "no".
I'm assuming you meant "pre-" instead of "post-." Journey formed in the mid-70's. One of their first pieces was named Kohoutek, which was a comet that came near earth in 1973. I watched it. I still have their debut album on vinyl. Ex-Santana. They have changed a lot since that day. In fact, it appears they have entirely abandoned their initial, mostly instrumental, vision for something that girls like. :( It made them rich, though.

I meant I couldn't find any clips of live performances post-1977 that featured any of their earlier material.

I'm more interested in the blond MILF on the left at 00:51 & at 02:46.

This.

Right on! She and the cutie in the black Journey T (with the tank underneath) at around 1:34 and 2:56 also made multiple appearances, and must be part of the "more photogenic" crowd placements!

I'm all good with that, as they can place themselves at one of my shows any day and twice on Sunday!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I've never had any use for Journey or their "genre" but I have a Steve story:

Back when the US draft was in effect, Mr Perry spent his time in Edmonton (doubly famous for being home of the Procol Harum live symphony album, and Maguscule's hometown) and joined a local pop/r&b band called Privilege. They used to play a club in my city regularly and when they added Perry, he was electrifying. Crowds would wait till the end of the night to hear him do "SherryBaby" by Frankie Vali & The Four Seasons and he brought the house down.

Soon as amnesty came, he went back to the States. Although there's no resemblance, I can't help but believe "Oh Sherrie" was based somehow on "SherryBaby," or at least it was a good omen to base the song around that name.

Here for the gear.

From Wikipedia:

The song was Perry's biggest hit as a solo artist and written for his then-girlfriend Sherrie Swafford,[2] who also appeared in the music video

I once dated a girl named Angie. Many of my friends found that pretty funny (though I can't say it's one of my top Stones songs).

OK, so I can't help but believe Perry went out and found a girlfriend named Sherrie.

:freak:

Are ypu kidding? He probably had 20 hot "sheeries" a night offering themesleves to him.

In my opinion, the best example of Perry's godlike vocals are in this video: (Still They Ride, Budokan, 1983)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jubogiBaUhQ

Take note of 1:56 and 3:38. Just sick stuff.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

OK, so I can't help but believe Perry went out and found a girlfriend named Sherrie.

:freak:

Are ypu kidding? He probably had 20 hot "sheeries" a night offering themesleves to him.

Of coprse, I kiddig.

Here for the gear.

Archived