Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Journey" on the today show today...

e-keys

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The new singer is from the Philippines and was discovered on YouTube. Since Steve Perry they have been fronted by Steve Augeri, Jeff Scott Soto and now Arnel Pineda. All basically Steve Perry sound alikes.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

His voice still seems in really good shape.

You are kidding I assume... that wasn't Steve Perry.

:laugh:

Not to mention the fact that it doesn't look (and sound) like Arnel is really singing in that clip. :laugh: :laugh:

Larry.

Steve Perry he isn't... Nothing more than a tribute band ... Yawn...

...and what's with the chic in the front row in the red headband with a microphone singing along?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I kinda like the new guy.

Steve Perry was a 1 in a million singer, Arnel is a a in 750,000 voice. The other replacements were never that good.

As a huge Rainbow lineage fan, I do have to admit I like some J.S. Soto though....

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

...and what's with the chic in the front row in the red headband with a microphone singing along?
I like how you distinguish her by noting her unique red headband....

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I like how you distinguish her by noting her unique red headband....

I don't know... how would you distinguish her, Joe?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Steve Perry he isn't... Nothing more than a tribute band ... Yawn...

http://scienceblogs.com/pontiff/curmudgeon.jpg

Sounds as if I may have unintentionally touched a nerve with all the guys in tribute bands...

There is a wonderful chapter on tribute bands in Chuck Klosterman's "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs"...

The new singer is from the Philippines and was discovered on YouTube. Since Steve Perry they have been fronted by Steve Augeri, Jeff Scott Soto and now Arnel Pineda. All basically Steve Perry sound alikes.

I never cared for Soto, nor would I characterize him as sounding like Steve Perry.

Pineda's story is quite remarkable on a number of levels. IIRC, for a period of time he was singing for money on the streets of the Philippines, at times going without food. Then to be discovered by Neal Schon on YouTube. Cool story.

My favorite post-Steve Perry singer was Steve Augeri. Had the opportunity to meet him at Wrigley field in Chicago, of all places. Seemed like a super nice guy.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

As a huge Rainbow lineage fan, I do have to admit I like some J.S. Soto though....

What does Soto have to do with Rainbow? The closest he ever came to Ritchie Blackmore was singing with Yngwie. He's closer to Kevin Bacon than Rainbow.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Absolutely. Soto has his own thing going on...even in Journey which is what I love about the guy but he doesn't have that God-like Steve Perry range. I don't think Blackmore would have ever worked with Soto just because that would be a nod to Malmsteen. Hah it would be great and probably the best thing for Rainbow post JLT besides Ronnie returning. RIP

I saw Soto/Malmsteen twice in '85-86 they delivered.

Holy Cow.

I was not kidding, I thought he sounded good, and was aware that it is not Steve Perry (:D). I was making a comment that the Journey singers tend to get burned out fairly quickly, and this guy still sounded pretty good after 2 years (maybe I am wrong and it isn't 2 years. Maybe only 1, maybe 3).

I believe he is singing in this clip, not sure what makes you think otherwise. Other than holding the notes a little long for my liking, I thought he did well. I am sorry I got it wrong.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

There was no red piano....I think I saw a V-Piano there.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Tony: My bad, I was thinking Joe Lynn Turner, Soto was the Malmsteen guy. Forget what I said. Soto sucks. (kidding, sort of)

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

How i hate that song...I played it so many times in cover bands that i can't stand it anymore :deadhorse:

It's got to a point where i'd ask any new band "You guys don't play Don't stop believing, do ya?" "you do? ok, see ya" :deadhorse::deadhorse:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

How i hate that song...I played it so many times in cover bands that i can't stand it anymore :deadhorse:

It's got to a point where i'd ask any new band "You guys don't play Don't stop believing, do ya?" "you do? ok, see ya" :deadhorse::deadhorse:

I love it!

I used to play "Nights" in a cover band... Had some fun with that as well....

Not that I care one way or another, but they're tuned down a 1/2 step from the original. We do that, so I can't say anything...just pointing it out.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived