Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Frank Foster from the Basie Band

Flemtone

NY Times Obituary

When my dad introduced me to 'April in Paris' by the Count Basie Orchestra back around 1965, I was totally floored. I was just in a transitionary phase between 'kids' records and establishing my preferences in 'big people's' music. I already had a love for Symphonic and 30s/40s Swing, and had heard a fair amount of popular music of the time, but this single album opened up a completely different world to me. From there it was a short hop to Duke Ellington, Frank, Ella, Toots, Mel, Louis and a host of others.

In fact, my enduring love for bass stems from that album. There's a track called "Li'l Darlin' " that has a superb bass slide at the very end. It's so perfect in every way and complements the song to such a degree that I started really listening to bass tracks in every other tune I listened to.

Foster didn't write that song, nor did he arrange it, but his fingerprints are all over that album. For this, I thank him.

Rest well, Mr. Foster. You made an impact on music for over 60 years and we're all the better for it.

Play. Just play.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived