Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy 68th Mick!

LeftyBlues

The Jag man, the Mickeroo, turnin' 68 with many more to follow. Thanks for the music, the history, all the memories Mick and I'll see you next year for the 50th anniversary tour. If you and Keef could please consider an acoustic blues set, well that'd be swell. I'd better not hear any comments about "aging rockers" or there'll be heck to pay, lemme tell you young whippersnappers....
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also known as Sir Lipps McGee.

You know, the most interesting thing, to me, about the ages of the Rollicking Stones, is that, of the original members, they appear to have aged in inverse proportion to their years.

Happy Birthday to one of the most successful of singers to start off trying to sound like Howlin' Wolf! :thu::cool:

Mick and Brian and Chester...and Billy, too

In spite of his piss poor attempts to sound black, and fiascos like "Angie" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want", I still think Mick is one of the greats.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Jagger.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

A glass o' waaaaaahhn....... :cool:

:thu::D:cool:

In spite of his piss poor attempts to sound black, and fiascos like "Angie" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want", I still think Mick is one of the greats.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Jagger.

Whitefang

I wouldn't change a thing about either of those songs; classics! And it's more like because of the things you cite, not in spite of them, that he created a great and unique style and body of work- kinda like B.B. King's piss poor attempts to sound like a slide-player without a slide. Doesn't sound much like a slide, but it sure sounds great in its own right! Mick sure doesn't sound like his influences, but he sure sounds cool and cocksure in his own right!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Mick has no need to try and sound like anybody but Mick...neither does Elvis, Fogerty, Dylan, Orbison, Cash, BB, etc...you know who they are within the first few notes when you hear them...they are one of a kind's...many a great artist can only wish they could come up with as many legendary hit songs as this old man (to include Angie, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, etc)...he has mastered the art of staying young...
Take care, Larryz

All I was saying was that I can't reconcile the same dude who blew us away on "Satisfaction", "19th Nervous Breakdown", "Honky Tonk Woman", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Bitch" and "Start Me Up" should get any comps for shit( Yes! I mean that!)like "Angie" and the other. And the Stones' Motown covers were laughably disasterous, IMHO. I sometimes wondered if Mick had become so big that people around him were afraid to tell the emperor he had no clothes. Incidentally, I feel the same about Sir Paul, who could both blow me away with "Junior's Farm", "Uncle Albert", "Venus and Mars", "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Tommy Gun" and then do tripe like "Silly Love Songs" and "The Doggone Girl is Mine". Don't like either of them any less, just don't think everything they ever did was "gold".

Sorry for highjacking the thread.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Not a big fan of Angie either, but I do like You Can't Always Get What You Want...Not sure when Satisfaction came out but I'm pretty sure it was somewhere around 1966, I was 16 at the time, and it was one of my first live band club covertune dances...it's still a favorite of mine along with 19th Nervous Breakdown...sorry for getting highjacked...
Take care, Larryz

I remember seeing some footage of Mick singing with Muddy Waters .... Muddy seemed to be enjoying it! He got a kick of out of all these white kids who idolized him.

Howlin' Wolf? NOBODY ever sounded like Howlin' Wolf.. best imitation I ever heard was Captain Beefheart, but he took in a completely different direction.

Mick is an original and I respect him for it.

Yes, I still enjoy "Satisfaction".

The Beatles took their early lessons from guys like Carl Perkins, Elvis, Chuck Berry, and some soul chic's, etc...Eric and the Animals idolized Bo Didley and Bo had to go visit these white kids at the club...Clapton is another BB and blues fan...and it wouldn't be a shocker to hear that Mick did some of his own blues studies too...it wouldn't be a stretch for them to have studied Howlin Wolf (but I don't think Mick tried to sound like him)...In the Shine A Light Movie you'll see Mick and the boyz play'en and singing some cool blues with Buddy Guy...the blues is part of old Rock and Roll for sure...the Stones are more country than blues IMHO...
Take care, Larryz

Archived