Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody else getting tired of guitar bands?

The Real MC

I hate fuckin guitar bands unless it is like the Stones or something. They take up too much room, are too loud, solo way to much, don't like to play in keys other than D, A, G,B,and fuckin E. Don't get me started.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question: When was the last time you heard a really good keyboard solo in popular music?

Seems most music these days is either guitar-oriented, or dance/electronica if synths predominate.

The Canadian duo Chromeo is kinda dance-y and definitely poppy, and I've only heard 3 or so of their songs, but each of those songs has a keyboard solo. One song does have a guitar solo in it, but the keyboard solo follows it immediately to show the guitar who's boss. ;) The solos are on the short side, but nice enough to my ears, and not limited to pentatonic noodling. They have a song that reminds me of "Meeting In The Ladies Room" by Klymaxx.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure it's comparatively difficult for a guitarist to sound like Hendrix, a wind instrumentalist to sound like a Bird recording and a keyboardist to sound like Monk, but unfortunately for the current keyboard scene it appears that more guitarists are comfortable sounding like and playing the blues than many digital key instrumentalists can even sound properly like being able to play one full working 12 bar blues convincingly, which is a shame as that should be important part of the foundation.

Question: When was the last time you heard a really good keyboard solo in popular music?

Not too long ago, really.

[video:youtube]

@3:45

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRUuX6cJ4QE

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3UT8bfp0ow&feature=related

:whistle:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I understand where you keyboard guys are coming from, if you have to play in a situation where it's endless 12-bar jams with several guitarists and no one of even THINKS that the keyboard guy might have something to contribute other than simple backup. And it's all in A or E......

But in all fairness, there are guitar ensembles that are FABULOUS - such as the Assad Bros. for example. Of course, they don't play in local blues bars too often, LOL.

Yeah, whether it's a band on TV or one that I encounter live, if there are no keyboards my interest declines from 100% to about 12%. :sleep:

Yep. I'll check palladia, 98% of the time there is no keys, I change it to the cooking channel.

Yeah, that's not me at all. Music comes first, doesn't matter if it's a Violin duo or a guitar trio, i see no need for everything to have a keyboard. To me it's all about what's being played, not the instrument that's playing it. I understand it's more "enjoyable" to watch a band that has the instrument you play, but before being a keyboardist, you're musicians and that shouldn't matter. :idk

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Music comes first,... but before being a keyboardist, you're musicians and that shouldn't matter. :idk

I agree !

There are songs which just only need a piano or organ,- other´s want walls of guitars, a stack of synths or all.

A.C.

There's a power trio that's come on the scene here lately - guitar, bass, drums... They are one of my favorite local bands. Such a full sound, and they're very good. No keys, but I love it.

Good music is good music!

Stuff and things.

The variation, even if with were only timbre and some rhythmic things and good tones and licks make the blues work much longer than 12 bars, even if it's a "rock around the clock" schema. Making a good tone and melody with it and fitting interesiting rhythmic chord patterns just isn't a strong point of key-boards/ists it seems...

I enjoy a good trio that doesn't have keyboards. I'm creative enough to find parts I can fit in a guitar song.

It's the completely-smother-the-spectrum-guitar-sounds that crowd everybody else out that irks me. Way too many immature guitar players out there that refuse to back down or won't develop their playing any further. They have no variety in their timbre, it gets old on the ears. I play guitar as a secondary instrument and I like bluesy playing - when I tried some of that I got shot down.

And everybody does a cover of songs like Kryptonite, yawn.

This town where I live really needs some fresh perspective and I'm thinking about doing my own thing.

Thankfully, I grew up on music and in a scene where KBs get a lot of love.

IMO, the biggest problem with KB players in guitar bands is that they have allowed others to set their harmonic limits.

But, looking back to Steely Dan as an example, there is plenty room for KB players to shine even among guitars.

Today, guitars and KBs seem capable of sharing equally in Jam bands i.e. Soulive.

IThis town where I live really needs some fresh perspective and I'm thinking about doing my own thing.

You are right-thinking mayne. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

A lot of it is dependant on what kind of band you're getting into. If it's meant to BE a "Chugga chugga" band, then you probably will NOT be doing much interesting keyboard wise. I don't know what kind of music you want to do, but it's top 40 pop, get the right sounds and play the right parts and they'll be beating down your door! Most of the "Guitar guys" I know around here play with a sequencer (LAME!) though often the audiences just have no CLUE they're listening to spruced up Karaoke. If no one around you is doing top 40 pop (To dance to) then you have an untapped market that will make money hand over fist!

Personally I'm tired of bands that just put somebody reasonably cute up front as a "Singer" that can't SING their way out of a paper bag. Then if that's not enough, no one ELSE in the band sings at ALL for harmonies!

This is where you put your gear list that no one reads anyway!

"What did you say?, come again, I couldn't hear you" . . . .

Really I would say volume issues is high on my list, also as has been mentioned musical limitations to some degree . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Thankfully, I grew up on music and in a scene where KBs get a lot of love.

IMO, the biggest problem with KB players in guitar bands is that they have allowed others to set their harmonic limits.

But, looking back to Steely Dan as an example, there is plenty room for KB players to shine even among guitars.

Today, guitars and KBs seem capable of sharing equally in Jam bands i.e. Soulive.

IThis town where I live really needs some fresh perspective and I'm thinking about doing my own thing.

You are right-thinking mayne. :thu::cool:

I really don't think Steely Dan is a good example of keyboards shinning in a band. In fact they are so boring live. The most is the Rhodes in there but that is about it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I really don't think Steely Dan is a good example of keyboards shinning in a band. In fact they are so boring live. The most is the Rhodes in there but that is about it.

IMO, the KB work on SD records and live is filled with harmonic nuggets not usually associated with a guitar/Rock band. YMMV. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think you'll find in New England there are alot of wannabe Scofields and not enough wannabe Medeskis.

If there are music colleges in the area then there are usually guitarists with some interest in some sort of prog/jazz/techno/funk.

There was a Mike Garson thead here and that reminds me--Garson was never boring with Bowie and Alladin Sane was a guitar album and Outside is as iconic as Low/Heroes. Plenty of great noisy piano (you really need to hear 'Aladdin Sane' and 'Time' on You Tube if you haven't and some of the noisier songs like the Stones "Night Together" cover). If you're going to do covers may as well make them your own.

I'm bored with Keyboard bands too. They all want to play Separate Ways and classic mass market synth schtick. Therein lies the problem. Rather than playing lame 70s and 80s era guitar rock they prefer equally lame 70s and 80s era keyboard rock.

Granted pop covers are a necessary thing for some but.....

IMO, the KB work on SD records and live is filled with harmonic nuggets not usually associated with a guitar/Rock band. YMMV. :cool:

I'm with Prof. How you like the keyboard work live of course depends on who is in the touring band at the time and whether they're having a good night, as well as the most important factor - your personal taste. I like Fagen's own keyboard work too even if others might not.

I last saw them live at North Sea Jazz Festival 2007 (Zawinul Syndicate was also on the bill!) and thought the keyboard work was pretty good. I see Jim Beard is touring with them this year - heard him play some great stuff with Mike Stern.

That year I've made a very short (but HD) bootleg from Stern's band, but not with Jim Beard. I think he played with Scofield in the past.

nsstern_720_8k.mpg 720p mpeg (2) 16:9 25fps video, 256 kbps audio, 37 MegaByte

I Might have a picture of the Zawinul Syndicate from there. I recall he jammed in the basement of the NSJ the last time I think I saw him there and pretty much the last time the festival was in the Hague. He had major stacks of powered (blue) speakers standing there, and during the jam with Scofield and some other good names he mainly once made a great and deep loud brass-type chord on his brand-taped synth which worked really good, and that was most of it.

The band is boring I mean they were reading charts??

I didn't see them reading charts at North Sea Jazz Festival.

Some of my friends are also bored by some bands I like to see live. I am also bored by some of the bands some friends like. But we're still friends.

Well, I guess I'm pretty lucky. My main gig these days is a Santana Tribute. It doesn't get much more "guitar band" than that, and yet at the same time, the keys are essential to the music.

--Dave

That's because Mrs. Carlos Santana plays the keys. She wrote the bible on how to play piano in a latin ensemble under her maiden name, Rebeca Maleon.

Archived