Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any people making rock music with keyboard/sequencer?

tyberium

I wondered if there are more people that try to make rock music on a (MIDI) keyboard and using a sequencer. Hope there are more out there. Maybe we could get some discussions and technique sharing going?
Trying to create convincingly sounding rock music using a keyboard, since 2008.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of people here that make rock (among other) music, and some use some sequencing at various times. Some are amateurs, but many are pro musicians. However, from what I've seen on this forum the past several years, I don't think there are many who base their music primarily by sequencing (although I understand that for some genres, that is customary).

At any rate,welcome to the forum.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I don't think there are many who base their music primarily by sequencing (although I understand that for some genres, that is customary).

I've created lots of electronic music with sequencers, but no rock.

:cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I just recorded a demo version of a rock instrumental for my nephew's birthday. I sequenced the drum and bass parts the basic way - playing them in real time against the metronome on my Korg M3. Yeah, my timing was bad in some places due to lack of quantization, but it's an improvement over past attempts to sequence via the realtime method.

I later recorded guitar tracks...

When I hear "Rock" I usually think "Guitars". Trying to synthesise/sequence rhythm guitars with keyboard sounds is usually (always) disastrous. I found it easier just to learn to play guitar - enough to play chords, riffs etc. Anything else, drums, bass, kbds, samples etc can be sequenced easily enough. With some practice, today's technology allows you to make sequenced parts sound pretty convincing. If only we could sequence the lead vocalist.....

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. - W. C. Fields

Does Melodyne come with the Whine Like A Needy Little Girl option?

Of course! It's a formant preset option, alongside such other classic effects as "Mariah Carey/Christina Aguilera Maximum Melisma" and "Sexy Blues Like Duffy". :thu::cool:

Does Melodyne come with the Whine Like A Needy Little Girl option?

Of course! It's a formant preset option, alongside such other classic effects as "Mariah Carey/Christina Aguilera Maximum Melisma" and "Sexy Blues Like Duffy". :thu::cool:

Wow, i need one of those. ;):D

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I'm just sitting here waiting for tonysounds to weigh in on the sequencing thing .... :snax:

Tony's problem is with sequences/backing tracks in a live context; I think he might be more forgiving of sequencing for production of recorded music.

Remember, sequencing doesn't necessarily mean using/abusing quantizing and groove templates; you can use a sequencer without quantizing and keep a virtually unchanged performance.

Squencer in Rock music? I don't think so, not for the whole song. Maybe as a tool to do little things that an arpeggiator can't and more reliably. Such things would probably end up being samples

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I think the term "sequencer" means different things to different people... :snax:

Indeed. To me, a sequencer is both a recording and a compositional tool.

Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. - W. C. Fields

I think the term "sequencer" means different things to different people... :snax:

Indeed. To me, a sequencer is both a recording and a compositional tool.

Yeah, in the recording world, the term "sequencer" has been pretty much replaced by the term "DAW", because AFAIK, there aren't many programs that just do sequencing anymore. I think the term "sequencer" has somewhat reverted back to the retro analog tool used in pre-midi days, such as the arp sequencer. Same thing kinda, but not really.... hope you know what I mean. :blush:

So, to answer the OP's question, yes, I use a sequencer (or actually a DAW) everyday, and use it to make rock music. Except for a few (thousand) extra capabilities, it could just as well be a tape recorder as far as the listener is concerned. For live.... not so much. I certainly have, and will if the gig requires it, but prefer not to.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Yeah, but do you call it a "daw" or a "dee-eh-double-u"?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

In my humble opinion DAW/sequencing has come a long way. If used properly you could produce some convincing sounding guitars. I wish I could actually play a guitar though. There's nothing like the real thing, but maybe there's hope for us keyboard rockers out there. I'd like to invite you to look at my below listed track and hope to be the exception on horrible sounding rock. I gave it my best ;)

[video:youtube]zhkO0LEzE88

Trying to create convincingly sounding rock music using a keyboard, since 2008.

Archived