Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Procol Harum

Griffinator

Just because I've been tripping on this band all day today, I thought I'd start a convo amongst those who probably most appreciate the band for what they did.

I mean, is not Matt Fisher one of the most underrated Hammond players out there? Was Gary Brooker not a killer rock piano player and a distinctively powerful vocalist?

What's not to love about this band, other than their generally morose vibe, which pretty much was the signature sound of the band?

I daresay the songwriting team of Brooker and Reid was easily as good as McCartney and Lennon.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4dWfQ7Vhvo&feature=related

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYDH_3kKpc

In the immortal words of Greg Kihn, "They don't write 'em like that anymore". :thu:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A Salty Dog", what a great tune. "Whiter Shade" is another one that is timeless. They have one other that I really like, can't remember the title but it's about a guy jumping off a building... anyone know this one?

There is something magical about piano & organ together. E Street demonstrates it, as well as many gospel groups. I'd love to be part of a group that has a 2nd keyboardist someday.

Love them from the Debut to Grand Hotel, Brooker had one of most amazing voices in rock IMO and Fisher had a unique and beautiful way of playing his hammond. Their live one with the Edmonton Orchestra is one of my 10 best albums of all time. Simply amazing. And this is probably my favorite song/version...

IMO this was the best "Orchestrated" rock album of all time. Deep purple did it, Yes did it, The Moody Blues did it, but nothing fit so perfectly well like this. My dad was a huge fan and so am i. :thu:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I remember hearing Deep Purple's album with the London Festival Orchestra. I applaud Lord for trying, and there were a few highlights, but overall it was, well, it was better than Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth. The vocals were definitely better! Never heard the PH one; I guess I'll have to give it a listen.

Whiter Shade of Pale, Conquistador, Pandora's box, what's not to love? Definitely more melodic than some of the other bands of the time. I always liked Robin Trower's guitar playing on the first three albums too.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

This was the White Jimi's band. I liked him better with Proco Harum than solo. The sound had a much bigger variety.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

We used to do Conquistador back in highschool.

I saw Procal Harum open up for Jethro Tull back in the 90's.

I think Ed Harsch (sp) played organ for them. Ed also played with the Black Crowes.

He did a fine job with Conquistador - no trumpet, no strings.

The hammond did the trumpet parts.

I daresay the songwriting team of Brooker and Reid was easily as good as McCartney and Lennon

I agree.

The story of how Eddie got the Black Crowes gig is a good one.

From a 1996 issue of Keyboard I believe, however I had heard the fight took place at the Platinum Club

But on the second night, Johnny (Colt, bass player) came up to me and said something like, 'Dude, you're that keyboard player? Wanna go for a drink?' So we went to the Gold Club (Atlanta adult establishment), and some dude jumped on Johnny...sucker-punched him. A giant fight broke out, and I ended up on top of this guy, pummelin'. The next day Johnny went back to the Crowes with a report: 'I don't know if this guy can play, but he can fight, and that's good enough for me!"

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I remember hearing Deep Purple's album with the London Festival Orchestra. I applaud Lord for trying, and there were a few highlights, but overall it was, well, it was better than Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth. The vocals were definitely better! Never heard the PH one; I guess I'll have to give it a listen.

You won't regret it :thu:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Shine On Brightly was my favorite after A Salty Dog.

I saw Procol Harum in the early 80s I think - in a 2,000 soft-seater and bought seats beside the mixing board. In those days they'd mix from about 20 rows front & center from the stage so I always tried to be there.

I looked beside me as I sat down and Keith Reid was sitting there. I kept wanting to say "THANK YOU!!"

Gary Brooker did some fine things later - solo album & single "No More Fear Of Flying" had very cool EP. He also did a great job of "Old Brown Shoe" at The Concert for George.

victoria bc

CrimsonianKing - great song!

We used to do Conquistador back in highschool.

I saw Procal Harum open up for Jethro Tull back in the 90's.

I think Ed Harsch (sp) played organ for them. Ed also played with the Black Crowes.

He did a fine job with Conquistador - no trumpet, no strings.

The hammond did the trumpet parts.

I daresay the songwriting team of Brooker and Reid was easily as good as McCartney and Lennon

I agree.

I saw PH as a guest of Geoff Whitehorn when they opened for Tull. Great night. Anderson had groups of 4 folks at a time brought on stage from the worst seats in the venue to a nice rig set up in the front of the monitor console. He would pour beverage during the guitar solos for the "true fans" as they were called. Great set from Tull.....

Procol Harum were the best that night. Geoff Whitehorn's guitar was powerful when in was needed, and casual as it suited the bits. Brooker had lost no tone or power within the performance

This band is a classic example of how to survive multiple lineup changes and still keep a strong identity and stay true to your sound. On paper it would seem the loss of Fischer and then Trower after Salty Dog would send the band off the rails, both such great talents, but their replacements and subsequent changes have all fit within the PH paradigm. That said, on LP Salty Dog will never be surpassed. Everyone shines on that from Trower's full on blowing on Devil Came from Kansas, Fischer's gorgeous Pilgrims Progress and of course Salty Dog itself which may be the ultimate Brooker/Reid piece. Of course the contribution of BJ Barry Wilson needs to be mentioned. Truly deserving of the phrase "underrated" Wilson was the powerhouse behind Cocker's With a Little Help From my Friends when none of the regular studio go to guys could get the right feel. And he is FUN to watch, described famously as an "elephant in a bathtub."
Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

Love them from the Debut to Grand Hotel, Brooker had one of most amazing voices in rock IMO and Fisher had a unique and beautiful way of playing his hammond. Their live one with the Edmonton Orchestra is one of my 10 best albums of all time. Simply amazing. And this is probably my favorite song/version...

IMO this was the best "Orchestrated" rock album of all time. Deep purple did it, Yes did it, The Moody Blues did it, but nothing fit so perfectly well like this. My dad was a huge fan and so am i. :thu:

I was at that concert. It didn't go as smoothly as planned though. They had to stop part way through one song and start again - Conquistador if I recall. Near the end of the concert they asked for requests. The crowd yelled 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' which seemed to throw them off guard. I don't recall what they played. I still have the album with the program from the concert stuck inside.

A great concert by all accounts .

Jamie

I was at that concert. It didn't go as smoothly as planned though. They had to stop part way through one song and start again - Conquistador if I recall. Near the end of the concert they asked for requests. The crowd yelled 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' which seemed to throw them off guard. I don't recall what they played. I still have the album with the program from the concert stuck inside.

A great concert by all accounts .

Jamie

You have no idea how much i envy you :D I like this album so much i have 3 versions of it, the 90's remaster, the vinil and the Japanese mini-lp which contains 3 more songs (Simple sister, Lukus Delph and Shine On Brightly), but i think those were rehearsal takes.

Edit: Actually, Lukus Delph was live, so i guess that was the song they played last.

Archived