Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Native Instruments Komplete 7

David Loving

Big weekend assembling up a rudimentary software set up. The Macbook Pro and audiobox presonus audio interface and Native Instruments Komplete 7 software arrive FedEx from Sweetwater. Well, I thought that was what I was going to do. Sunday is devoted to setting it all up and the NI Komplete 7 will not install. Fails on Disc "C" - I gave it 3 tries. Should I have known better than to spend $500.00 on a product where the company can't duplicate a DVD? Anybody else have this kind of trouble with NI? They can't possibly be worth putting up with this kind of quality control. :mad:
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed mine about a week ago with no problems but I did receive this email:

Dear NI user,

Thank you for choosing KOMPLETE 7 - we hope that it continues to inspire your music!

We would like to inform you about a potential installation issue with some recently produced KOMPLETE 7 units. As we have found out, a certain batch includes a disc with a manufacturing defect. The possibly affected disc is Kontakt 4 - Disc B. This disc might not be readable on all computers, which can lead to the termination of the installation procedure.

We suggest the following solutions and workarounds to affected users:

Solution A - Free replacement disc

To order a free replacement disc, please follow these steps:

Log in with your NI user name (your registered e-mail address) and password. Please make sure that your name and shipping address are correct: login here...

Follow this link and place an order for a free KOMPLETE 7 - Kontakt 4 - Disc B replacement disc.

We will handle these replacement orders with high priority, but delivery may take up to one week.

Solution B - Disc image download

To install KOMPLETE 7 before an eventual physical replacement arrives, you can also download the disc image directly from the Native Instruments website.

If you are using KOMPLETE 7 on a Windows PC, please follow these steps:

Download the image file (ca. 6 GB) using this link...

If you don't already own an application that has the option to burn Dual-Layer DVDs from ISO disc images, you may need to install a suitable disc burning application first. We recommend a free application called ISO Recorder*. Make sure to download and install the correct version for your Operating System. After finishing the ISO Recorder installation, insert a blank Dual-Layer DVD R, then right-click the downloaded ISO disc image, select "Open With..." and then "ISO Recorder." Click "Next" to burn the ISO disc image to the blank DVD R.

Insert the first KOMPLETE 7 installation disc from the original set into the computer and run the installer again.

When you reach the 'Custom Installation' screen that shows a checklist of all installation options, please uncheck the components that have already installed properly:

If you CANCELLED the installation after previously receiving an error message with the Kontakt 4 Disc B, you can uncheck all applications and plug-ins, but you should select all the sample content that you would like to install.

If you CONTINUED and finished the KOMPLETE 7 installation after previously receiving an error message with the Kontakt 4 Disc B, you can uncheck everything except for the Kontakt 4 Factory Library. This will only add the content that was not installed successfully before.

When the installer asks for the disc Kontakt 4 - Disc B, do not insert the original disc again. Instead, insert the Dual-Layer DVD R you just burned. The installation process should continue as expected.

If you are using KOMPLETE 7 on a Mac, please follow these steps:

Download the image file (ca. 6 GB) using this link...

After the download has completed, insert the first KOMPLETE 7 installation disc from the original disc set into the computer and run the installer again.

On the 'Custom Installation' screen with the installation options, please uncheck all components that have already installed properly:

If the Main installation disc (first disc) has already successfully completed installing, you can uncheck all applications and plug-ins

If Battery Discs A and B have already successfully completed installing, you can uncheck the Battery 3 Library under 'Content'

When the installer asks for KONTAKT 4 - Disc B, do not insert the physical disc. Instead, double-click the Kontakt_4_Disc_B_09-08-18_13-51.iso file that you downloaded; it should mount as a readable disc and the installation should continue as expected.

Solution C - For KOMPLETE 6 owners only

If you own KOMPLETE 6 and have previously installed the KOMPLETE 6 Kontakt content (including the Kontakt Factory library) on this computer, you can safely uncheck the Kontakt Factory Library and skip this disc during installation, without missing any new content.

If you own KOMPLETE 6, but do not currently have it installed on this computer, start the KOMPLETE 7 installation as described in Solution B, but when the installer asks for the Kontakt 4 - Disc B from the KOMPLETE 7 set, insert the disc with the same name from the KOMPLETE 6 set instead. Both discs are identical between the KOMPLETE 6 and the KOMPLETE 7 set.

If you have any further questions please contact our Order Support Department in Los Angeles (charges from your telephone provider might apply):

American customers - USA / L.A. Office:

(Mon-Fri 11am-5pm PST)

Tel.: 1-866-556-6487 (toll free from within the US)

Tel.: +1.323.467-5260 (from outside the US).

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you in advance for your cooperation and your understanding.

Best regards,

Your Native Instruments team

Mine is disc C not B. The problem is that since I can't install the programs I cannot get such an e-mail. They do not know about me yet. So this did not happen to you? I am just going to send mine back and let Sweetwater deal with them. I am not very pleased with my Native Instruments team. Are the sounds good enough to justify continuing on with NI?
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I think this falls in the "stuff happens" category. (Consider, too, that they may have outsourced the duplication... that'll learn 'em.)

My customer service experience with NI has been pretty good on the whole.

I make software noises.

I made the disc image from the same DVD that the installer had a problem with. You just use the Apple Disk Utility Program that comes with OSX - it's in your Apps folder in a another folder called Utilities.

At the top of the window there's a selection for +New Image. Select the DVD from the list of drives/disks on the left and then use this command.

It seems that the installer is extra fussy reading from the media, but making an image overcomes that. Not to say that another disc later in the process might not have the same problem, though...

Typical case of overreaction on my part - I cleaned the C disc and it loaded just fine :crazy: I take it all back...

You can't. Don't you realize EVERYTHING you post on the Internet will survive forever!! One hundred years from now historians will be reading this thread wondering what is a "disc"!

Back in college when CDs were new, if we had one that skipped, we'd take it out of the player, blow on it, make the sign of the cross over it and bless it, and put it back. Worked nearly every time.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yes and they'll remember I am the guy who always overreacts. I am taking back all the abuse I handed out to NI. I just wish they'd include "clean the damn DVD if if don't load" !

That's like putting a warning on a car "fill with gas if it doesn't start". ;)

• 1 year later...
jerry - how do you make a disc image ? Download the disc and then copy it and use the copy?

Clonk here.

There are tons of documents on how to do things in Mac OS X on the Apple website, in case anything else comes up in the future. :thu:

Resurrecting an old thread here. This has been one of those 'feel like throwing the gear out the window' mornings; yeah....

When I did a KOMPLETE 7 install on my workspace Mac Mini a couple years back, I ran into the DVD 'hang-up' problem twice: first, with Disk E; second, with Disk H (which was a real time waster - having to start over that late in the game). Finally, the third attempt at install was the charm.

Now attempting to install KOMPLETE 7 on my MacBook Pro. First hang-up and start-over was with Disk E. I just finished cleaning each disk, and - once again - started over. If that doesn't work I'll likely try the 'disk image' approach. I did try Sven's link, and waded through several searches on the Apple site. Nothing there that quite answered the question posed. I get how to make a disk image, but the question remains: How do I use a disk image - vs. an actual disk - in the process of loading KOMPLETE 7 content ? Or is it necessary to make a new - and apparently better - DVD copy ?

If this becomes a colossal tie-up of time, it's very tempting to choose the KOMPLETE 9 Ultimate upgrade; get the whole deal separate HD pre-loaded and be done with it....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

A mounted disk image will appear as another drive or disc in a player. In many cases you can direct the installer to that location. Sometimes the installer is smart enough to look and find what it needs automatically. Sometimes it is designed to sense the real thing vs. a copy. Technically, a disk image is sort of like a copy that has not been burned, it is something other than an original when it comes to being recognized (again only if the installer is smart enough to tell the difference). You could also burn the ISO to a disc then mount from the disc but that could present another potential problem.

Archived