Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FP7-F users please chime in - dealbreaker issue

Marillo

I have been delighted by this keyboard after it arrived 2 days ago, but playing Liszt's Liebstraum no 3 (yes that old favourite) something horrible happened.

When I hit the G sharp octaves in the RH as the piece is building, and to be precise the one above C6, there was almost no note. A lot of 'thunk', but almost no note. Just a dull, hollow sound.

It's not a matter of EQ as the F sharp and A sharps around it sound out as clear as a bell, and only serve to highlight how glaring this problem is.

Please could other owners try this for me and report back? I sorely hope this is an issue with my unit, but I've a bad feeling it's just an issue with the sample on that note.

How could Roland miss this? Now that I've spotted it I can't ignore it, and sadly I think this is going to see me return the FP7-F, which is otherwise a brilliant digital piano.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was using the main SuperNatural patch (the only one available in the piano) but the effect is exactly the same in the other variations.

It's like that single note (the G sharp above C6) has been sampled very weakly, and sounds incredibly distant. It's so searingly obvious I can't believe Roland have missed this.

But as Sven asked, Is it evident in ALL the other voices (EPs for example)? This would easily rule in or out a physical problem such as dirty key contact. Hooking it up to a computer, as previously suggested, is also a very good idea. I'd be surprised if there is a problem with the SN sample.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Thanks for this guys. The defect IS present on other patches (pianos and EPs etc) so I guess that does point to a dirty key contact? It's a strange effect, there's almost the same amount of volume as the other notes, but most of it is 'thunk and reverb' if you see what I mean.

I don't actually have any DAW/sequencer software to do the other tests.

Well, it's obviously not right, then. Go back to the shop in the first place and point out the fault. Ideally, they should exchange the unit. If you get no joy there, contact Roland UK direct. IIRC, the FP7f keybed is a tri-sensor one. It could be that one of the sensors is faulty, giving the effect you're hearing.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived