Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VB3 with Apple Powerbook G4 ?

analogholic

Hi everyone

All the talk of the VB3 (and especially Mojo) lately, and of course issues with latency, made me wonder if the VB3 would work live with an "old" Mac Powerbook G4 titanium that my mother in law gave me for free the other day.

Yeah, she´s the best!

G4 specs:

Processor: 1,5 Ghz

RAM: maxed out at a whopping 1,25 GB

This is my first laptop ever, so I don´t how it holds up.

Thanks in advance!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used VB3 in Logic in a similarly spec'd powerbook. It worked quite well. I wasn't testing for latency or anything- I used it on a gig in an emergency when my main keyboard died- and it did the trick and sounded good.

In general the machine worked great in OS 10.3 and 10.4, but 10.5 slowed everything down. So if you can avoid it, don't "upgrade" to 10.5.

I an interested in VB3 also. Unfortunatly i am MIDI challenged.

I have a VMK161 organ controller and a laptop. What hardware do i need to hook up the MIDI out of the controller to the USB of the laptop?

Isn't that controller USB class compliant? If so, all you need is a USB cable.

I am running VB3 on an old Compaq notebook and docking station - with a Pentium III 1Ghz processor, 586 megs of RAM, and Win XP Pro, using an eMu 0404 PCI card for audio/MIDI.

Runs just fine, with low processor utilization. This is my "backup" setup that I leave at church along with a PC2 - for the times when I don't carry any other gear.

So, I would think the Powerbook would certainly have enough power and RAM to run it. Don't know enough about the Mac OS to know if that is compatible.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks guys for the replies!

Seems that the VB3 is not that processor hungry?

Guess I´ll have to invest in a Firewire- or USB-to-Midiinterface and download the demo.

Any good suggestion for a small good interface that´s a great bang for the buck?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Archived