Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos & Karma ?

Synthoid

Since the Kronos still hasn't appeared locally, I was wondering...

How well is KARMA implemented in the combination sounds? Since so many people complained the M3 combis were over-saturated with KARMA rhythms and drum tracks, I'm curious if Korg did a better job with Kronos.

Are there many combis that don't use KARMA at all?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A total non-answer to your question:

I see built-in combis as examples of what you can accomplish, and could be fun for goofing around. Most I did not find useful beyond that, at least not in a band context.

I make software noises.

Since the Kronos still hasn't appeared locally, I was wondering...

How well is KARMA implemented in the combination sounds? Since so many people complained the M3 combis were over-saturated with KARMA rhythms and drum tracks, I'm curious if Korg did a better job with Kronos.

Are there many combis that don't use KARMA at all?

but you are not buying the Kronos and you have pointed to the controls/data wheel, etc, etc, etc, as not being adequate.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

The little contribution I can give is to quote myself from the other thread:

I proceeded to play all the internal presets in program mode. I tried some combis too, but I got annoyed by the fact that 98% of them started playing by themselves at some point. Rather than trying to figure out whether it was the Karma, arpeggiator, sequencer, synced LFO, or any other infernal device, *then* figure out how to switch them off, I just skipped the combis altogether, and concentrated on the single programs.

Btw tomorrow I'm going to try the Kronos 73... I'll try to address the combis a little bit if I have the time.

There is a bank of orchestral combis that doesn't get loaded with the base configuration. It's on the SSD. It requires a bank of programs plus the rest of the samples from EXs3 which needs to be loaded as well. They evidently wanted to leave RAM space available for sampling but now that people have figured out it's easy to add the additional 2GB RAM (giving you about 1.25GB of RAM sample area) it's a moot point. These are all pretty much straightforward combis without KARMA/drums.

Yes, a lot of the combis have KARMA/drums. Remember with the Kronos the programs and combis aren't in ROM so you can make changes and delete as you wish and just save the changes. Tweak everything to your liking.

Busch.

Also, when playing the string/orchestral COMBIS check out what the vector joystick does. Many times it will give you excellent variations. Play these COMBIS with a wide range of dynamics. They are often very beautiful when played softly.

This is just running through some of the string COMBIS trying out different ones and recording them. The second example shows the vector joystick.

Kronos Strings

Busch.

Wow, Busch, thanks for that. Those string sounds are MUCH improved on what I managed to get out of the Kronos in my short time with it.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

This is just running through some of the string COMBIS trying out different ones and recording them. The second example shows the vector joystick.

Can the vector joystick affect KARMA in any way?

Can the vector joystick affect KARMA in any way?

I don't know but I suspect KARMA can incorporate the vector joystick. KARMA can go deep within the Kronos synth engine, even controlling waveforms within an OSC. I don't understand what the issue would be for you. People think KARMA is all about arps and rhythms. It is commonly used for that but it really is more of a MIDI processor that can affect the synth engine based on incoming MIDI data.

Busch.

Thanks Busch... I'm still learning about KARMA programming with my M3. It's amazingly deep, but the tweaking I've done over the last couple years has been rewarding.

I'm hoping that a Kronos will show up at GC sometime soon.

Archived