Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT- So, I went to a concert this weekend (long post warning)

butcherNburn

Concert - Maná (Spanish Language Rock)

Venue - Prudential Center, Newark NJ

Bass - Juan Calleros

I don't get out to many concerts these days, in fact I've only been to a few in the past several years mostly due to my lack of interest and differing tastes in music between my wife and I. Maná is one band she likes and I can tolerate, so this is the second show we've been to. I wore my Motorhead shirt because I like the reactions when it's out of context. They're a solid pop(ish) rock(ish) band that's been around for a long time and have a loyal following among a group of people that listen primarily to dance music. They played well, included most of their "classics" with only a few off their more recent CDs. They sounded pretty close to their studio albums, like I said a solid band. The lead singer sings like he's playing to a large audience at all times and I couldn't imagine him doing an entire show in a different context, but that's consistent with their recorded material so I can't find fault in it. There were only a few guitar flubs but they were minor and the guitarist recovered nicely, even though one of them was after he switched instruments and the new one sounded like a thin bag of turds. The lights, video screens etc. were on par for a world class tour.

The bass player stayed out of the spotlight, wasn't flashy and didn't do a solo that lasted more than four seconds, no surprises. Nothing against him, just mentioning a few things "lowdown" related. Most of the two hour show, from where I was sitting, he seemed like he wasn't too upfront in the mix. Then again the kick drum wasn't overpowering either. From what I could tell he played a BenLoy (Geddy Lee) Fender most of the time and a five string Fender active Jazz for part of the show. Most of the amps and cabs on the stage were silver faced Fenders but I did get a glimpse of a Ampeg SVT in a rack case during a half second when he appeared on the big screens.

This was my first time at the Prudential Center ("The Rock") and it wasn't a bad place to catch a show. We sat just above the floor seats toward the back. I have to admit that they should make the pre-concert music a bit more targeted to the audience instead of playing Get It On by TRex and Tall Cool Woman (in a black dress), which didnt go over well but, the bathrooms were in decent shape so that makes up for a lot. It is in Newark though, and even though it's not in a rough part, you may want to pay a few extra bucks for a parking lot that's close to the venue if you are easily flustered.

OK, you've made it this far, you know there are a few things that bugged me. I'll start with the minor stuff.

First, it seemed like they read a book on how to put on a successful rock concert and followed it to the letter. Clichés were numerous and had they not executed them perfectly it could have been nauseating. There was certainly overuse of the semi-transparent fabric video screen that, at times, was between the band and the audience. In my mind, I dont really fault the band for this; Id like to think they were concentrating on the music.

The drummer got a lot of the spotlight but he did sing a few songs and anybody that can do that is OK in my book. What bugged me was the seven minute solo with the mechanically elevating drum riser. This was done so that some of the band can relocate to a platform above the mixing console. For the trip back to the stage we had two minutes of recorded music.

Now the bitter old man emerges (get off my lawn). For the bulk of the show, so many people were too preoccupied with their cell phones it was beyond distracting. I understand taking a quick photo or video but this was to the point of being ridiculous (yes, and illegal blah blah). Between the people with their phones in the air almost the entire show to the ones documenting the experience on Facebook I didnt know who to hate more. Had there been fewer of them I wouldn't have given it much thought. One guy said something about me blocking his shot but I turned around and looked at him dead in the face and never heard another word. These people paid a premium to see a live event yet insisted on living vicariously through themselves to have a good time. I see it almost anywhere I go, the beach, carnivals, movies, you name it. Why cant you just have a good time while you are in the moment and not be so preoccupied with documenting it for the world to ignore? You can't wait until after to post an update? This is just one of the reasons I dont care for social networks, especially Facebook.

Also, there was way too much sitting for a concert and certainly no one standing on seats or armrests. For shame.

Bottom line - Good concert, but people suck. Now get off my lawn!

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the bulk of the show, so many people were too preoccupied with their cell phones it was beyond distracting.

What IS that? Two years ago, I was at a Broadway show, when the people behind us stumbled in late, after the first act had opened, talking the whole time. The kicker was the lady's cellphone went off five minutes later AND SHE PROCEEDED TO TAKE THE CALL!

I almost went over the seat after her.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

These people paid a premium to see a live event yet insisted on living vicariously through themselves to have a good time. I see it almost anywhere I go, the beach, carnivals, movies, you name it. Why cant you just have a good time while you are in the moment and not be so preoccupied with documenting it for the world to ignore?
+1,0000

I go to a theater near where I live, and they are very up front about turning off cellphones, mentioning it explicitly and humorously several times before the show starts. UNtil recently, it was never a problem, but now I hear phones, or see peopels faces lit p by the glow of the screen while they check during the play. What is so damn important that they must check their phones every 15 minutes or more?

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

For the bulk of the show, so many people were too preoccupied with their cell phones it was beyond distracting.

What IS that? Two years ago, I was at a Broadway show, when the people behind us stumbled in late, after the first act had opened, talking the whole time. The kicker was the lady's cellphone went off five minutes later AND SHE PROCEEDED TO TAKE THE CALL!

I almost went over the seat after her.

You should have. Nothing like a boot mark on someone's neck to change their attitude.

These people paid a premium to see a live event yet insisted on living vicariously through themselves to have a good time. I see it almost anywhere I go, the beach, carnivals, movies, you name it. Why cant you just have a good time while you are in the moment and not be so preoccupied with documenting it for the world to ignore?
+1,0000

I go to a theater near where I live, and they are very up front about turning off cellphones, mentioning it explicitly and humorously several times before the show starts. UNtil recently, it was never a problem, but now I hear phones, or see peopels faces lit p by the glow of the screen while they check during the play. What is so damn important that they must check their phones every 15 minutes or more?

Agreed.

I like to go by the teachings of Shepherd Book:

"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Great write-up, BnB. Been to 'The Rock' a bunch for hockey games and it's a decent place. Never saw a concert there, but your write-up is encouraging.

Play. Just play.

I was looking for this pic to include in my original post, I finally put exactly 12 seconds into the effort.

Got to admit that I had to look for the bass player's name and I sure as hell took the scenic route to my point.

http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-fire-sign-twitter.jpg

Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

here's the other thing I don't understand about people who spend their time at a concert "recording" with a cell phone: does anyone ever look at those images or listen to that audio? Because every concert "video" I've ever seen from a cell phone looks and sounds like shit: out of focus, jerking around, with complete distortion of the sound that sounds more like a jet engine than a song.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

here's the other thing I don't understand about people who spend their time at a concert "recording" with a cell phone: does anyone ever look at those images or listen to that audio?

I'm pretty sure this thread is starting to qualify for SNF's comments about all of us just griping, but I'll be darned if I'm not going to participate anyway! :)

YouTube is chock full of these horrible videos and they're all just over 1 minute long and I'm not sure which is worse the shaky video that looks like it was shot during an 8.5 earthquake or the audio that is indistinguishable white noise where you hear the "wooooo" and whistles and comments from the audience more than you hear the band and good luck trying to even hear the vocals or really any instruments especially the bass...

[takes breath]

Back to your review, bNb: interesting and well written. Thanks.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Why cant you just have a good time while you are in the moment and not be so preoccupied with documenting it for the world to ignore?

This is worthy of a signature quote :grin:

BTW, I have their MTV Unplugged cd and quite like it. Not too fond of their general output but that one is especially good.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I'm pretty sure this thread is starting to qualify for SNF's comments about all of us just griping, but I'll be darned if I'm not going to participate anyway!

Well that way, he gets to complain about us -- everyone wins.

;-)

Reprising this discussion -- went to see Steely Dan at an outdoor amphitheater Monday night -- awesome performance.

But for the first time had lawn seats at this venue -- never again.

People were constantly walking around and through the crowd like they had no place in particular to be, talking to each other, talking on their cell phones, texting. Really?

Archived