Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Jupiter 80 : are there (futur) owners here ?

audioird

Hi,

As a passionate about music, keyboards and computer since nearly 20 years, I recently decided myself for this new Jupiter.

I created a web site for Jupiter 80 : http://www.jupiter80.fr and I hope we can exchange links with musicplayer.com and keyboardmag.com ?

I'd like to know if there are people planning to buy this synth, and willing to build and share a library of patches / Live Set / Tone / Registration classified by tune/artist for doing live performance for instance ?

Cheers

Audioird.

Site devoted to Roland Jupiter 80 : www.Jupiter80.fr

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Along with the Kronos, I have the Jupiter-80 solidly on my radar screen. In fact, I have visions of a Kronos 88 and Jupiter-80 as representing the ultimate two-keyboard rig. I'm tired of lugging racks of modules around, and really want to move in this direction. But since neither of these keyboards has hit the streets, all of this remains purely conjecture.....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Hi,

As a passionate about music, keyboards and computer since nearly 20 years, I recently decided myself for this new Jupiter.

I created a web site for Jupiter 80 : http://www.jupiter80.fr and I hope we can exchange links with musicplayer.com and keyboardmag.com ?

I'd like to know if there are people planning to buy this synth, and willing to build and share a library of patches / Live Set / Tone / Registration classified by tune/artist for doing live performance for instance ?

Cheers

Audioird.

Quite familiar with Roland going back to the Jv days.

The 2 demos don't give me enough to get enthused. 75% of what I hear is recognizable from other models.

I suppose the potential is there - I am on the fence for now.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Nothing about the Jupiter 80 is particularly awe-inspiring from what I've seen/heard. Sounds like Roland trying to capitalize on a previous brand like they've done with the Juno series.

This is based on not having played one, though. I suppose my mind could change. It seems like a nice workstation type keyboard, to be sure. Worthy of the Jupiter name though?

By the way, I know touchscreen is the thing these days, but they might be relying on it too much here. PITA to deal with on the gig if you need to manipulate things in real time.

I was fired up by the Kronos til I played it. Maybe when I have my hands on this one, I'll have the same opinion, but for now I see its potential (though these demos don't sell me) as a live performance synth.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I really like what I have seen of the Juptier 80 but I have no use for it with what I doing am these days.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Moonglow and I are on opposite sides of the spectrum on this one... :)

I want virtual instruments or I want modules. No keys please...

I'm not a live musician, which makes a big difference. But I have no interest in a $3,500 mega synth. I'd rather have a $500 Omnisphere, or a $500 Komplete.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• 2 weeks later...
I'm seriously considering getting a Jupiter 80, though perhaps not right away. I'm doing the one keyboard thing for my cover band gigs, and I'm edging towards the conclusion that the Jupiter would be a better tool than my Kronos 61. Some of the sounds are better on the Jupiter 80, though in general the Kronos has the upper hand on sound quality. But that's not the only consideration. If I can get $2400 for my Kronos, I may pull the trigger. Kinda hate to see $600 walk away on selling an almost new keyboard. On the other hand, I made that much in gigs last weekend, using the Kronos.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm gonna add a Kronos in a couple months. I really like them both. I just wanna play an 88 to see if that's what I want. If I like it, I'll let the Motif go, but I'm really comfortable on the Motif and if I don't love the 88 kronos, I'll buy the 61. The Jp80 is wonderful, but i think it could be looked over by many if you don't sit with it for hours and make a few of your own "registrations". Until you do that, you wont get it.

Archived