Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Rolling Stone Mag Poll

02R96

There is a new readers poll in Rolling Stone magazine asking to vote on the "Best Prog Rock Band"

A lot of people seemed to be voting for Rush, but I never really considered those guys to be prog rock. When I think Prog Rock I think of YES, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, ELP etc.

Rush? Ahh, not so much.

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say yes they were, but the metalheads embraced them for a while, at least early in their career, around the time of Working Man & Fly By Night.

You also have to consider that this is a Rolling Stone poll, which tends to reflect the choice of music fans, rather than musicians.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Rolling Stone's musical focus (or lack thereof) aside, I can't say I find polls of any sort very interesting, although it's different, I'm sure, if you win one.

They'll like this over on the keyboard forum !

They just had some sort of uproar on a Yes thread leading to Geoff Downes storming off the set.

That's a progressive development, if you ask me.

Hey George, are you referring to the "Fly From Here" thread?

I always considered Rush more of a hard rock band rather than prog.

Rolling Stone poles are more of a popularity contest, much like the Grammy's.

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

Well, the Grammies are industry awards, aren't they?

There's some politics & popularity but not the same thing as 500,000 15~51 yr olds of generally homogenous demographic.

d=halfnote

Given albums like Hemispheres, Signals, 2112 and so forth, I definitely consider Rush prog...they just happen to be more towards the hard rock border than most.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

"Progressive" to me means a genre has "progressed" beyond the typical -in the case of "progressive rock" that means the typical boring pentatonic blues scales, repetitive song structure, and 2/4 or 4/4 time of pedestrian "rock and roll".

Rush = odd and changing meters, melodic/modal melodies and solo lines, extended chord structures, lyrics that are (mostly) rooted deep in literature instead of the usual teen schlock - and performance values second to none, with each player contributing multiple parts. They were also one of the first bands to do a concept album, and one of the first to feature multi-media. Their live shows are an unbelievable show of musicianship and restraint (no extended "jams" that are just musical masturbation nobody can relate to), as well as technical prowess. And somehow, they do it in a way that still fills arenas and is accessible to their fans. Despite the various key and time changes, at the heart of the music there are still recognizable songs that people can sing along with. Pretty remarkable when you think about it. What could be more "progressive" than that?

If RUSH isn't a "progressive" band - I don't know who would be. To me they personify the notion of "progressive".

Oh, and PS...

I saw both RUSH and YES last summer (among others). YES was horrid -unlistenable...meandering... boring as hell. They could have salvaged the show by playing a couple more of their singles but they didn't. I couldn't wait to get out of there. OTOH - RUSH was the best show I've seen in years. Unbelievable precision in sight and sound - but at the same time very listenable and mostly - accessible. The guys in Rush played like they were glad to be there doing it. I'd go back again and again given the chance.

If Pink Floyd is Progressive Rock...I'll vote for them...don't care about Rolling Stone Polls much... :idk

"Once upon a time

it

felt so fine

didn't blow your mind

something or other

Bob Dylan"

A few decades back, Jethro Tull, not the great-nephew of Jed Clampett but the 22nd infavid genetic crackbaby of somebody, won for BEST METAL BAND

What's that tell you about polls of this sort ?

Dylan is probably the most progressive when it comes to exceeding the limits of genre...with regard to pentatonic blues scales and 4/4 time being [pedestrianly] boring, I'll admit to being stuck in the crosswalks...I like improv and coming up with my own arrangements but still try to draw from the basics (to include time signatures, minor/major chords and scales and even throw in a melody line) in my leads and fills...I do try to give a listen to new concepts and ideas too... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Archived